Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #21

I would agree with several posts pro and con. I can say that I grew up camping as a child, my wife didn't I had a camper when we met for weekends with friends. I always loved going to a campground and having a campfire, adult beverages and good laughs and memories. When I met my wife she liked hotels...now 15 years later my wife could not imagine staying in a hotel. We like the outdoors and so do the kids. We make it fun for them also by making sure there are things for them to do. I can say I didnt force her to camp, but she started camping and enjoyed the weekends. We now go just about every weekend in the summer and it is great, we plan our family vacations around camping and love it. Bottom line is if your heart (or someones heart) is not in it don't do it. If your heart is in it and the familys is not make sure they are comfortable when you go the first time and make sure they are interested in the destination, they may convert. I will say that some of the best memories we have had revolve around camping, and it is because we make it fun and don't go back to a hotel room to sit on a bed and watch TV! the great outdoors are wonderful.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #22

Once you decide you want to go forward and purchase a TT I suggest getting a price from RV Direct and see if they can beat the price that you have been given already.

From my personal experience we bought used, just in case we decided we did not like owning a TT. Once we decided that camping was for us we upgraded to a larger, still used, TT. And finally when we were able to afford the TT of our dreams and a capable TV we then ordered our TT new with all the features we wanted.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #23

I would buy a used one if I were you. It'll save you money upfront. When you sell it 3 to 4 years you won't take such a hit on the pocket book. Renting one not a bad idea to see if you like it and also what floor plan works for your family. Also pay attention to your tow vehicle. Those rv dealers are not afraid to push your vehicle to the max. It may tow it but then you'll add in the price of a new tow vehicle once you find the oone you have is not adequate. With all that being said. You only live once and camping is a blast. I think it is better then a cabin because your cabin is now on wheels that you can take anywhere.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
Personally I wouldn't waste 22 grand on something that I would use only 6 times per year then get rid of it in 3 - 4 years. That makes no sense to me.
But then again that's just me and only my opinion.
X2 I would rent one by the week and be done with it. I bought because it gets used around 12 + weeks a year. Remember you still have to insure it, store it,clean it, calk it,grease it and in 4-5 years you need new tires weather you like it or not.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #25

All-

Thank you so much for the replies. About us, we have owned two travel trailers in the past and most recently sold our 2010 Jayco23B hybrid. We really enjoy camping as a family and you are all right, the memories are priceless. My fondest memories are camping with my folks when I was a child. So why the question then right? Personally I am stuck on the 28dsbh and just love the camper especially the 2014 and up models so there lies my quandry. The only ones I can find are new.

I agree with all that camping is one of the best things you can do with your children. Memories last forever.
gradertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #26

No quandary ...JUST BUY IT.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradertb View Post
All-

Thank you so much for the replies.Personally I am stuck on the 28dsbh and just love the camper especially the 2014 and up models so there lies my quandry. The only ones I can find are new.

I agree with all that camping is one of the best things you can do with your children. Memories last forever.
I have the same floor plan only in a Hybrid EXP21M, open I'm at almost 28'and just love it and would have nothing else but the 28dsbh. I couldn't find a used one either so I bought the Hybrid used. They only made this floor plan for 3 years in the Hybrid 2009-11. I paid almost 13K out the door and it included a new WDH. Hope you find that used one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #28

You can spend the 22k, enjoy it and see if it's for you and your family. If not, sell it and your cost is the difference between price paid and its sales price, not much if you buy right.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #29

You Asked,we never buy new,RV's or Transportation, there are thousands of Very lightly use RV'S out there. and Never Never Pay retail on anything ! When you go look Take your lap top and look up the NADA,when you are at the Lot ..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #30

Since you are already seasoned, why are you asking us? Do it! Of course, we keep our trailers about 10 years so we get far more for our money than most people get, but even after 3 or 4 years, it is not by any stretch a waste of money. Especially not when I know people who spend $5k every year going to the tropics to sit on a beach for 5 days. In other words, compare it to what you might spend on "traditional" vacations. When all is said what you might spend between the two, it's a wash.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #31

I searched craigslist and found our used trailer in Middleberry. An Autumn Ridge 297BHS. We picked it up for a song. Look at getting something used. Just like anything else. As soon as it rolls off the show room floor you lost about half your money
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #32

We ordered ours at the show and got the show price and a great trade in on our old one. Retail was 49000 to 52000 , we got it for 32000 and got 10000 for our old camper . You might try the shows also.
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #33

Probably not a wise financial investment. If your not worried about money, then no worries, ehh..

It would be cheaper to rent a trailer if that is available in your area. Unless you can store an RV for free, storage and insurance would pay for a week rental each year.

After we purchased our trailer, we probably spent another $2,500 on RV stuff (wd hitch, bedding, camping stuff, etc). That would rent you a trailer for another few weeks.

I guess it just depends on your lifestyle. Good luck.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradertb View Post
All-

Thank you so much for the replies. About us, we have owned two travel trailers in the past and most recently sold our 2010 Jayco23B hybrid. We really enjoy camping as a family and you are all right, the memories are priceless. My fondest memories are camping with my folks when I was a child. So why the question then right? Personally I am stuck on the 28dsbh and just love the camper especially the 2014 and up models so there lies my quandry. The only ones I can find are new.

I say go for it. My wife grew up trailer camping with her family. I only tent camped with mine a few times when I was in college. Last year my wife really wanted to introduce our kids and myself to camping like she did growing up. I sold my enclosed 18' trailer, my basically new 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 and bought a sweet crew cab Sierra Duramax and our new trailer.. I'm selling some other expensive toys I have now too. I love camping with my wife and kids. My kids draw pictures of our camping trips. These trips are priceless to me. If a new trailer has what u want get it. Used are not much less. Trailers are not a great investment monetarily, but for me, the memories are priceless.....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #35

We bought a 2105 33RLDS from "Quality Products" in Plainwell, MI. Outstanding service. Price the best I could get. People & service excellent. Family run business. They have been selling Jayco many years.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #36

With kids of your ages, there are alot of good memories to be made in an RV. We were able to find one that was less than one year old and saved substantially over a new one. I would suggest finding one that is a year or two old and start making memories.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote