Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Help De-winterizing a 267BHSW

So we are rank newbies with this. We took delivery 2 weeks ago and have gone through many of the systems in the manual in that time.
The plumbing/ de-winterizing is still a confusion.
Dealer said all that we needed to do to was open low point drain and run fresh water through the system and we were good to go.
Additional manual reading and the forums lead me to believe this is not accurate.
So the current state of the trailer is winterized and water heater bypassed and drained.
My thoughts are to:
Open the low point drain, and drain all the AF
run water through the city connection through all the faucets
fill the fresh water tank and pump water through all the lines
un-bypass the water heater and plug it
does this seem to be a reasonable plan?
Manual says to sanitize with bleach mix. Is this necessary if we do not plan on drinking the water? It would be for washing and showers only.
Can anyone with a 267BHSW tell me more about the bypass valves.
I'm thinking they're under the lower bunk, but it's a bear to access that and I'm too big to try through the storage door.

Thanks
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

I basically do as the manual states, although we do not usually put water in the system for drinking. However, by going through the sanitation process, you can always decide to use it. Otherwise I think it would be fine to just rinse well and fill with fresh water.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

I do not like the idea of dumping anti-freeze through the low point drain even though RV anti-freeze is non-toxic. I still don't believe it belongs on the ground.

Run water through all faucets and the anti-freeze ends up in the grey tank. Then run through the toilet and it ends up in the black tank. You can then empty the tanks at a dump station. I am not a rela tree hugger but would rather see it processed through a dump station than directly on the ground through the low point drains. JMHO

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

With the addition of @JHerzog's comments, your plan sounds accurate. The dealer was incorrect since they did not include what to do with the hot water heater. As for the location of the bypass valves, they are usually behind a panel in front of the hw heater.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

[QUOTE=JHerzog;501040]I do not like the idea of dumping anti-freeze through the low point drain even though RV anti-freeze is non-toxic. I still don't believe it belongs on the ground.

X2 but what I do is put a bucket under the low point drains to catch the antifreeze it's pure antifreeze so why throw it away just use it next season or take it to the disposal station along with your other chemicals.

I only have to buy 1 gal every other year because you loose some in the P traps and toilet. It's not just that I'm just trying to save money but I'm trying to save waste.

After you open the low points open the faucets let it drain then close the faucets and blow air thru the city inlet ( where you connect the hose for fresh water) and that's almost 100% of the antifreeze.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

Tunce - thanks for the recycle idea. Going to start doing that.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Team

It only takes 1/4 cup per 15 gallons soaking for a few hours to sanitize the system, then flush. never know you might want to wash off your tooth brush or something with the water. I don`t drink the water from the tank either but still occasionally sanitize. Is it really necessary? Probably not and to be honest I have skipped that step before at times.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

There should be a hatch in the lower bunk bed below the mattress that you open and the water heater valves are right there. Should not have any problems reaching them. At least that is where it is in my 28BHBE which is a similar floorplan.
Blue Ox Sway pro
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Just move mattress on the lower bunk and lift the plywood access. You will see the water heater in the back corner with the valves. Very easy to access there.

Your steps to dewinterize are exactly what I do. I also do sanitize the fresh water tank with a bleach solution. I just like it because you never know what could be there after storing it all winter.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. At this point, I appreciate every one of them. Enclosed pic is what the back of the water heater looks like.
Instead of 3 valves, I have two. I have read about one valve and three valve bypasses, but have not heard or read what to do with two.
The pic shows two valves on the top and bottom of the vertical blue pipe.
So do I just reverse these valves to route water through the WH?
What are the two valves in the floor for?
Attached Thumbnails
Pipes.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

Looks like the bypass uses a 3 way valve. So the valve handles turned like they are they are inline with the bypass so the flow skips the hot water heater. Turn the handles so they are inline with going to the water heater and it is good.

As for the shutoffs at the floor. Not sure. If I were to guess, you can shut off the water going to the outdoor shower. A lot of people don't use it and if you are camping in cold weather it is going to be the first thing to freeze. So by offering a shutoff it can remain winterized while dewinterizing the rest of the camper and not have to worry about freezing up if you are actively camping with the heat on in cold temps. Again, this is a guess but it would make the most sense.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 AM   #12

Two valves in the floor are your low point drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #13

The shut off on the floor should just be a low point drain. Mine are labeled outside the trailer at the back as low point. I use them to help drain the lines and the hot water tank for winterizing. Leave the closed other then that.

Your valves in the picture are in the bypass position. As previous poster said just turn them so the handles are inline with water flow to and from the heater. Cold water to the heater, hot water coming from.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #14

Hi I am new this forum. New to travel trailers. New to everything about my travel trailer but I want to learn everything I can. My husband and I have received information on YouTube about de-winterizing our trailer, but I know we'll be back here to ask specific questions once we start the process which seems daunting at this point.
Silktea3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #15

What was daunting for me was the generic Jayco manual. If I had accurate pics and specs, I could get a plane launched, but Jayco's manual covers every model, and as this was my first TT, I had nothing to use for experience.
We got it de-winterized pretty easily.
Drained low point valves into a bucket.
hooked up city water and flushed all lines by opening all the faucets, one at a time till they ran clear.
Filled up fresh water tank (took longer than I expected)
Had to flip the anti-freeze siphon valve (on water pump - clear tube- behind board under sink.
Turned on water pump and again opened all the valves one by one until clear and no AF.
Installed the drain plug in the water heater.
Finally turned the two heater bypass valves on my TT (under lower bunk and hard for me to access.
Water filled the heater.
Turned on heater and in 30 min or so, hot water.
Today we will sanitize, just to be sure.

So far so good.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #16

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
What was daunting for me was the generic Jayco manual. If I had accurate pics and specs, I could get a plane launched, but Jayco's manual covers every model, and as this was my first TT, I had nothing to use for experience.
We got it de-winterized pretty easily.
Drained low point valves into a bucket.
hooked up city water and flushed all lines by opening all the faucets, one at a time till they ran clear.
Filled up fresh water tank (took longer than I expected)
Had to flip the anti-freeze siphon valve (on water pump - clear tube- behind board under sink.
Turned on water pump and again opened all the valves one by one until clear and no AF.
Installed the drain plug in the water heater.
Finally turned the two heater bypass valves on my TT (under lower bunk and hard for me to access.
Water filled the heater.
Turned on heater and in 30 min or so, hot water.
Today we will sanitize, just to be sure.

So far so good.
i I have a question. How are you going to sanitize? I've heard different amounts of bleach ratios and one site suggested after the bleach solution, a vineagar flush to get the taste of the bleach out.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #17

The manual said to drain the freshwarer tank first. It takes a while to fill up, so I left it full and poured in a cup or so of bleach. I ran all the hot faucets first and then the colds.
Its soaking for 4 hrs now and at the end of that I'll drain the tank and the lines, refill it and see how much bleach remnant there is.
Anything more than a trace and I'll drain the tank and lines again and refill with fresh water.
I hope I won't have to use the vinegar step. How does one get the vinegar out, Olive oil?
Next thing, salad dressing will come out of the faucets.

We'll see. we have our first boondocking campout scheduled end of April so we need to get it cleard out by then.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
The manual said to drain the freshwarer tank first. It takes a while to fill up, so I left it full and poured in a cup or so of bleach. I ran all the hot faucets first and then the colds.
Its soaking for 4 hrs now and at the end of that I'll drain the tank and the lines, refill it and see how much bleach remnant there is.
Anything more than a trace and I'll drain the tank and lines again and refill with fresh water.
I hope I won't have to use the vinegar step. How does one get the vinegar out, Olive oil?
Next thing, salad dressing will come out of the faucets.

We'll see. we have our first boondocking campout scheduled end of April so we need to get it cleard out by then.
May I suggest that instead of vinegar, just go for a good wine. I am envious you are able to go out so soon. Still too cold here in Montana.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silktea3 View Post
May I suggest that instead of vinegar, just go for a good wine. I am envious you are able to go out so soon. Still too cold here in Montana.
We were actually thinking of a Balsamic vinegar, and this is our second time out this year. First was a shakedown cruise for us and the new TT.
Enjoy the Montana outdoors, our scenery here is pretty pedestrian by compatison.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silktea3 View Post
i I have a question. How are you going to sanitize? I've heard different amounts of bleach ratios and one site suggested after the bleach solution, a vineagar flush to get the taste of the bleach out.
After sanitizing the Greyhawk water system, I drain the chlorinated water completely making sure to open all the taps so the lines will drain. Then after refilling with fresh water and circulating some through all the fixtures, I drain that. After filling again, I cannot smell or taste any chlorine. But anyone who sees how I am sometimes attired will think I have little taste anyway.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote