Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #1

Help finding roof cleaning thread

A few months back i remember reading a thread about cleaning the exterior of the travel trailer. A member posted up his little concoction for cleaning the roof, which looked to work very well (had pics of the black staining just melting away with ease). I am looking for that thread so i can make the same cleaning solution to clean my roof up as well, but i will be damned if i can find it with the search function.

Anyone know of this thread, or a good cleaning product/concoction for the roof?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and just to throw it out there, i used "Totally Awesome" cleaning solution on the sides of the trailer with wonderful success. This is a available at Dollar General, for litterly $1 a bottle, and it works amazingly well. It took the black streaks off very easily, which were there from sitting outside all winter. But, to my surprise it doesnt work on the roof for some reason....

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

The white color of the roof is just a thin layer over a black substrate. The white can wear away, allowing the black to show. It's not a problem, since the white layer is for looks, and to help reflect sunlight/heat from the roof. I don't believe that the integrity of the roof is compromised when the white layer wears away.

Here's a link with a picture of the EPDM roof material.
RV Rubber Roof - RV Parts Nation
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
The white color of the roof is just a thin layer over a black substrate. The white can wear away, allowing the black to show. It's not a problem, since the white layer is for looks, and to help reflect sunlight/heat from the roof. I don't believe that the integrity of the roof is compromised when the white layer wears away.

Here's a link with a picture of the EPDM roof material.
RV Rubber Roof - RV Parts Nation
Thanks for the link, Smokerbill. I will check that out.

My main reason for wanting to clean the roof is to make myself feel good. I am a clean freak. The black staining may not really hurt the roof, but it hurts my soul haha. Its no different then the sides of the trailer... I am sure years and years of road grime and tree staining and dead bugs will not really hurt the integrity of the trailer much, but I want the thing to look good, like the day I bought it new. And I want the roof to be the same way, even though I am the only one who see's it.

Anybody know of a good product? Or how to find that thread?!

Thanks.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote