Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #1

Help - Installing solar panel in pre wired TT

I have a Jay Flight 174BH pre wired for solar. It has a cable connector entry point in the roof and a sticker inside where I need to cut the panel and install the charge controller.
I have some questions

When you cut the panel, I am assuming I'll find the cable that goes from the roof to the charge controller behind, but how do I connect the charge controller to the batteries? Is there another cable that goes to the battery behind the panel?

Do I need to cut the cables and connect one end from the solar panel to the control charger and the other end from the charge controller to the battery or do they come already pre-cut?

I read about adding a 30amp fuse. Does it comes with one pre-installed? Is the cable already connected to the fuse box before going out to the battery?

If I need to install a fuse, do I connect it from the solar panel to the charge controller or from the charge controller to the battery?

Any help will be appreciated.
jgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:45 PM   #2

I would never put my solar controller anywhere but near the battery if at all possible. You need some more research to see if the wires go from roof to battery area or close to it. Renogy makes MPPT controlers with bluetooth systems so you don't need to see the controller at all to know what is happening. Others may but I don't know which. Watch some simple youtubes on solar installations and operations.

My 200 watt system and MMPT work well for my needs and was easy to install.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:03 AM   #3

Curious, how many watts of panels, and type of controller?

Check for 12v at roof connection.
If no 12v, it's likely your solar wires have been cut and capped behind the solar ready sticker.

As stated, It is best to mount the controller (mppt is better) as close to the battery as possible and not cut a hole where that sticker is. It's likely there is a auto reset circuit breaker installed somewhere near your battery, possibly near your disconnect switch, on the existing positive solar wire. A disconnect of some type, fuse or circuit breaker should be used between the solar panels and controller to allow a proper disconnect/ connect sequence. Battery power should be applied at the controller before connecting or disconnecting solar panels.
Factory installed "solar ready" wiring can vary, you will likely have to do some detective work.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:25 PM   #4

Hi J
Did you ever get answers to your questions? I had the same questions and came across this thread - sorry I'm a year late, but going down the same path you did it looks like. Any thoughts you can offer are greatly appreciated!
JP
JP90277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:57 AM   #5

If you email jayco they will send you the schematic.

Take a look behind there and it will likely all make sense, but you'll need to cut out that panel to find out.

There is likely a DC auto reset breaker between the wiring and the battery already - ours was mounted outside on the front of the frame behind the tongue - they have plastic covers that look sort of like lego blocks.

Hope this helps!
CJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #6

While I agree with the replies above about moving the charge controller closer to the battery, that isn't always 100% necessary. If you follow good electrical practices, know your wire gauge and voltages/amperages and don't exceed the values, you'll be fine.

Here are some photos of what we had behind that label in our 2022 25RB. One set of wires coming down from roof and another set going to the Battery.

PS. You'll need to cut a hole there even if you decide not to locate the charge controller there. Wires from the roof and the wires to the battery are NOT connected.

JaycoLovers is offline   Reply With Quote