Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

HELP! Jayco declined the claim because of the weight distribution

Hi there,

The frame of my brand new 2021 174BH was bent after 3-4 months use. I didn't know that until brought it into dealership for other repair. It took them almost 2 months and then came back to decline the claim saying that's due to the weight distribution. The weight distribution was installed by dealer.
My trailer has been sitting in the shop since last December.

Never had to deal with any vehicle warranty in my life. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
yishenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yishenc View Post
The weight distribution was installed by dealer.
Wrong hitch or what? If that is the case you need to go after the dealer. Only other option would be to file with your Insurance Company.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
If dealer installed, dealer issue.... Not Jayco, not insurance. That's their business, if they didn't do it right, than they need to fix it
Old 05-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Are they talking about a Weight Distribution Hitch adjustment or the weight distribution of what's inside the camper (overloaded)? I wouldn't think that size trailer would require a WDH.
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

It's equalizer weight distribution hitch with sway control. My MDX never towed anything before and I didn't have the towing experience neither, so ask dealer to install it just to be safe.

I do have the insurance which they approved my accident that damage the awing, but they said the frame damage is not related to the accident.

This dealer is really not very responsive, took them almost 3 months to get the awing repair approved by insurance because they didn't provide the information on time.
After insurance declined the frame damage, took them another 2 months and got the rejection from JAYCO.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yishenc View Post
It's equalizer weight distribution hitch with sway control. My MDX never towed anything before and I didn't have the towing experience neither, so ask dealer to install it just to be safe.

I do have the insurance which they approved my accident that damage the awing, but they said the frame damage is not related to the accident.

This dealer is really not very responsive, took them almost 3 months to get the awing repair approved by insurance because they didn't provide the information on time.
After insurance declined the frame damage, took them another 2 months and got the rejection from JAYCO.
Suggestion: Get the case # from the dealer, and then contact Jayco to find out what they have to say about the claim. Results may be interesting.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #7

Wdh

We have a 184bh that is 8 seasons old. Our southern Minnesota dealer told us that the A-frames are too light to handle the stresses of many WD hitches. We tow with a Ram 1500 with LT tires on rear and keep tire pressures up to recommended levels on truck and trailer. Have not had any problems towing without using wdh. Only about 400 pounds tongue weight and no sway problems.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Suggestion: Get the case # from the dealer, and then contact Jayco to find out what they have to say about the claim. Results may be interesting.

Good luck!

Roger
Thank you! This is from the claim statement that dealer sent to me last week. Have not talk to dealer yet. Want to get some ideas before talking to them.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco claim.png  
Old 05-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg23 View Post
We have a 184bh that is 8 seasons old. Our southern Minnesota dealer told us that the A-frames are too light to handle the stresses of many WD hitches. We tow with a Ram 1500 with LT tires on rear and keep tire pressures up to recommended levels on truck and trailer. Have not had any problems towing without using wdh. Only about 400 pounds tongue weight and no sway problems.
Thanks for the suggestions. So you didn't install any sway control at all?
How is that performing on the highway?

I can feel the push when cargo truck passing me and maybe my SUV is too light.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:18 AM   #10

Honestly, I’d cut the old A frame hitch off and weld on a new one, if that’s beyond your capabilities then have a fabrication shop do it. It’ll be just a strong if not stronger than what it came with from the factory.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #11

From Jayco's Customer Service https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/ there is an owner's dispute resolution program link https://www.demarsassociates.com/drp.

Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
We have a 184bh that is 8 seasons old. Our southern Minnesota dealer told us that the A-frames are too light to handle the stresses of many WD hitches.
A WDH basically makes the tv frame and trailer frame one continuous piece. When WDH's first came out they used an OLDS TORONADO FWD and towed a trailer with the rear wheels removed from the car, just to demonstrate how well they worked.

So yes there can be a lot of stress on the "A" frame of the trailer if sized or adjusted wrong. This is a dealer issue since JAYCO didn't install the WDH.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A WDH basically makes the tv frame and trailer frame one continuous piece. When WDH's first came out they used an OLDS TORONADO FWD and towed a trailer with the rear wheels removed from the car, just to demonstrate how well they worked.

Since no picture means it never happened ...
Attached Thumbnails
olds trailer 015.JPG  
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #14

I've always liked that picture.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #15

Sounds to me you are @ a spot in life where you have to weigh how much your camping season means to you in $$. You've already been out of action for what, 5 months? Unacceptable.

A competent welder can install a new reinforced A-frame in short order and it'll be stronger than what came from the factory as mentioned above... and you'll be back to camping in likely less than a week - but this means out of pocket expense to you - and I'm betting it'll cost less than you think.

The sad thing about many "dealers" is they are too money hungry and even if they knew it was a bad idea to install said WD hitch on a particular trailer, they'll do it anyway just to make the sale and do the install. Sad.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #16

dealer greed

Fortunately the southern Minnesota family owned dealership that we purchased our 184bh from was not going to create problems for us by just trying to profit from selling a wdh that was not appropriate for our trailer frame.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Sounds to me you are @ a spot in life where you have to weigh how much your camping season means to you in $$. You've already been out of action for what, 5 months? Unacceptable.

A competent welder can install a new reinforced A-frame in short order and it'll be stronger than what came from the factory as mentioned above... and you'll be back to camping in likely less than a week - but this means out of pocket expense to you - and I'm betting it'll cost less than you think.

The sad thing about many "dealers" is they are too money hungry and even if they knew it was a bad idea to install said WD hitch on a particular trailer, they'll do it anyway just to make the sale and do the install. Sad.
Great minds think alike...
Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 AM   #18

I kept thinking about this thread last night... and I must admit, I immediately thought the frame was bent upwards, IE, it wasn't strong enough to deal with the forces the WDH was putting towards it.....

But, maybe it's bent sideways, from turning while backing and in turn, jack knifing the trailer... or from excessive side forces during sway control....

To satisfy my curiosity, which way is it actually bent?
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I kept thinking about this thread last night... and I must admit, I immediately thought the frame was bent upwards, IE, it wasn't strong enough to deal with the forces the WDH was putting towards it.....

But, maybe it's bent sideways, from turning while backing and in turn, jack knifing the trailer... or from excessive side forces during sway control....

To satisfy my curiosity, which way is it actually bent?
It's bent upward. I will see if I can find photos from dealer.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Fortunately the southern Minnesota family owned dealership that we purchased our 184bh from was not going to create problems for us by just trying to profit from selling a wdh that was not appropriate for our trailer frame.
Good that you bought your RV from an honest dealer.
Mine is Gander RV which I didn't know their reputation until I bought it.