Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I drink the water from my fresh water tank with no ill effects. Except for those horns growing out of the top of my head, but I'm sure it's unrelated...
We drink it too, every time we go out.

Actually, that third arm I've grown since drinking that water, has come in really helpful when doing projects!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers of Michigan View Post
We didn't receive all the manuals for the camper, which is why I asked questions here.
Did you search here for the manual?

https://www.jayco.com/owner/manuals/
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDug66 View Post
I would have, not a second thought.
Unless the new roof cost $7,500...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Thank you for your reply..we were told that no matter how much we sanitize the tank, we should never drink the water from the holding supply. Only if hooked up to city water?
We sanitize once a year by putting in the recommended bleach solution and letting it sit for a few days. Then I pump that mixture, along with a bit of additional bleach, into the black and gray tanks to allow the same water to somewhat clean those tanks. Dual use from the same water for maximum benefit.

As far as drinking, we cook, bathe, and do dishes with the tank water and may drink it now and then but recently we have been using 32 oz insulated "Beast" mugs for our water. We put a bunch of ice in the mug and then fill from a jug of water and go with that.

I have no problem with the freshness of the water. My rig has a built-in filter plus I use an inline filter on the hose when I fill the tank. This all works for me.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #25

Quote:
We're new to the whole RV thing. We purchased a Jayco Eagle 302 in beautiful condition for under $1000. Everything works, we just dont know how to work it. Do we need anything special to fill the freshwater tank before camping. Also there are 2 small switches by the kitchen sink, one says wtr htr, what exactly are these for? There is also a pump switch in the bathroom..unsure of that?

Thanks
The Millers

Congratulations on the great score!
Download the manuals if you want but most people find them so generic as to be next-to-worthless.

What you will want to do is find the manuals for all of your appliances and download those from the manufacturer. For example, the microwave, the stove, the water heater...

Pop the covers off things, look for the make and model of something - then Google up the manual.

Ask way - 99% of the people here are super helpful.

Some topics are naturally controversial. Drinking from the tank is one. Many do, many others won't.

Regardless, google up the instructions on how to sanitize the fresh water tank and do that. Then if you decide to drink from the tank, you can have some sense of safety.

There's lots to learn - so stay here and ask away!!!
Old 08-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #26

You csn download the generic user manual from the jayco.com website. Every appiance. Converter. Inverter, ac have their own manuals which can be found on the manufacturers' websites. There are videos and books which give you the basics of camping in an rv and specifically to a travel trailer. Of course. This forum is a great place to get answers.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #27

Welcome to RV'ing and to the forum. Even with the manuals and Youtube you'll still have questions. This is a great place to ask them.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #28

Water

Quote:
Thank you for your reply..we were told that no matter how much we sanitize the tank, we should never drink the water from the holding supply. Only if hooked up to city water?
You have a self-contained trailer, meaning it works without utility hookups.

Sanitize tank (as earlier said), flush, fill with potable water. Run it through a filter.

The blue filters are probably 20 micron, so good for sediment and a little for flavor only.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #29

Google Keep your daydream. The first season has some pretty cool beginners videos. They are done by a fulltime RV family. They also put some humor in it. They make some mistakes and show them. Check them out. They can be entertaining and educational. And Google is your friend. There are 100's or 1000's of really informative videos out there.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #30

I guess I'm not very smart, I've owned motorhomes for 25 years and have not sanitized a water tank yet. Drain every winter. I don't drink water from any water system home or on the road, but I trust my water in the tank more than RV park hookups.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
I guess I'm not very smart, I've owned motorhomes for 25 years and have not sanitized a water tank yet. Drain every winter. I don't drink water from any water system home or on the road, but I trust my water in the tank more than RV park hookups.
It's probably a low odds thing, e.g., only 1 in a hundred (I just made up that statistic) would ever get sick or die from drinking system water with bacterial buildup during their entire RVing lives, but that's enough to create significant legal/financial risk to the manufacturers so they're compelled to advise sanitizing.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 AM   #32

Sometimes....
When you get a drink and something slimy goes down your throat, or something plugs up the screen on the faucet.... you have to wonder.
My brother-in-law uses the same water hose for filling his tank and flushing his sewer tank. Bless his heart! I won't drink water or use ice from his trailer.
If you buy a used trailer, it might have been owned by someone like my BIL.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #33

I used bleach once switched to pool chlorine about 1/2 cup to 25 gallons. bleach seems to foam up
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #34

Quote:
We're new to the whole RV thing. We purchased a Jayco Eagle 302 in beautiful condition for under $1000. Everything works, we just dont know how to work it. Do we need anything special to fill the freshwater tank before camping. Also there are 2 small switches by the kitchen sink, one says wtr htr, what exactly are these for? There is also a pump switch in the bathroom..unsure of that?

Thanks
The Millers
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee, there is a ton of information available here and some of it is actually pretty good. I see you are from Roscommon, I went to Bambi Lake Church camp just outside of Roscommon for about 10 years in a row back in the 80's and worked in youth ministry retreats. It was always in January and we loved the snow. We don't get much snow here. Enjoy the new camper and the forum. God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco eagle 302