Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Help - Just learning!

We're new to the whole RV thing. We purchased a Jayco Eagle 302 in beautiful condition for under $1000. Everything works, we just dont know how to work it. Do we need anything special to fill the freshwater tank before camping. Also there are 2 small switches by the kitchen sink, one says wtr htr, what exactly are these for? There is also a pump switch in the bathroom..unsure of that?

Thanks
The Millers
Millers of Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

You should probably sanitize the freshwater system before use. A internet search will get you easy step by step directions.

One switch is for your water heater that may run off electric if hooked to shore power or propane if not hooked up to utilities. The second switch, and I'm guessing, is likely for your water pump. Again, if you are hooked up to utilities (city water) you will not need the pump, you will have the pressure from the spigot.

You will want to use a drinking water approved hose available from Amazon or Walmart. They are usually white or blue in color.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

make sure your hot water heater is full of water before you turn it on or you will burn out your element...

read the manual most of your questions can be answered there...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

We didn't receive all the manuals for the camper, which is why I asked questions here.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
You should probably sanitize the freshwater system before use. A internet search will get you easy step by step directions.

One switch is for your water heater that may run off electric if hooked to shore power or propane if not hooked up to utilities. The second switch, and I'm guessing, is likely for your water pump. Again, if you are hooked up to utilities (city water) you will not need the pump, you will have the pressure from the spigot.

You will want to use a drinking water approved hose available from Amazon or Walmart. They are usually white or blue in color.

Thank you for your reply..we were told that no matter how much we sanitize the tank, we should never drink the water from the holding supply. Only if hooked up to city water?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

YouTube is your best friend!

Just search "RV Basics" and you find a whole boatload of videos to get you set up!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers of Michigan View Post
Thank you for your reply..we were told that no matter how much we sanitize the tank, we should never drink the water from the holding supply. Only if hooked up to city water?
I drink the water from my fresh water tank with no ill effects. Except for those horns growing out of the top of my head, but I'm sure it's unrelated...

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

What we have accomplished so far was to evacuate the majority of water from the system. To sanitize the water system use a quarter cup of household bleach for every fifteen gallons of water your fresh water tank holds (i do 1/4C for every 10gal easier math) . Mix the bleach, with water, into a one-gallon container and pour it into the fresh water holding tank.

Fill the fresh water tank almost completely full of potable water. Turn the water pump on, open all hot and cold faucets and run the water until you smell the bleach at each faucet. Close the faucets.

If it’s possible drive the RV or pull the trailer so the water can move around to assist in cleaning the entire tank. Let it sit for at least 12 hours. Drain the entire system again and re-fill the fresh water tank with potable water.

Open all of the faucets and run the water until you no longer smell any bleach. It may be necessary to repeat this process again to eliminate all signs of bleach from the water system. Once this is done it is safe to use your water system.

you should have a water regulator going into your city hook up especially if you are in the hills and can have high pressure water coming in.
you should camp in your yard before you go anywhere ... then you will know what you need/don't need.. missing items.

Make sure you chock your wheels on your trailer before you disconnect it from your tow vehicle.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
This would be a lie and who gave you that information may not be all that knowledgeable.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
.we were told that no matter how much we sanitize the tank, we should never drink the water from the holding supply. Only if hooked up to city water?
How many campgrounds use wells? Never had an issue using the water from the tank.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #11

Not being synical but how do you know everything works if you don't know how to work them? Like others have said check out YouTube for some basic how to instruction. Best of luck with the purchase and welcome to the group!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
We didn't receive all the manuals for the camper, which is why I asked questions here.
A simple Google search should get you the manual. Might try this: https://www.manualslib.com/products/...k-4005647.html
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
A simple Google search should get you the manual. Might try this: https://www.manualslib.com/products/...k-4005647.html
I downloaded that for them intending to post but when you look at the file it's for a completely different model... Lol
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
When I am traveling, I put about 20 gallons of water in my water tank (holds 88 gallons) for flushing, washing hands and dishes AND....YES....we drink it. Never had any issues. When we go boon docking, we fill the tank.

I sanitize the tank and plumbing system every spring. Before I put the trailer away for the winter, it gets completely emptied and lines blown out then flushed with pink RV antifreeze.

Never had any problems.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Not being synical but how do you know everything works if you don't know how to work them? Like others have said check out YouTube for some basic how to instruction. Best of luck with the purchase and welcome to the group!
We had an RV guy check it all out when we had a new roof put on. He said everything was tested in working order. He offered me $8500 for it as it set, so I have to say I believed him
Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #16

Welcome from NE Georgia. Enjoy the camper!

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
Welcome from NE Georgia. Enjoy the camper!
Thank you!!
Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
When I am traveling, I put about 20 gallons of water in my water tank (holds 88 gallons) for flushing, washing hands and dishes AND....YES....we drink it. Never had any issues. When we go boon docking, we fill the tank.

I sanitize the tank and plumbing system every spring. Before I put the trailer away for the winter, it gets completely emptied and lines blown out then flushed with pink RV antifreeze.

Never had any problems.
Thank you, but we have a lot to learn.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #19

Quote:
We had an RV guy check it all out when we had a new roof put on. He said everything was tested in working order. He offered me $8500 for it as it set, so I have to say I believed him
if you paid $1000 and he offered you $8500 you should have taken the money if it is still on the table you should go get your money... $7500 in a week is easy money all day long.... you'd be crazy not to....
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
if you paid $1000 and he offered you $8500 you should have taken the money if it is still on the table you should go get your money... $7500 in a week is easy money all day long.... you'd be crazy not to....
I would have, not a second thought.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco eagle 302