Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

Help Me Back the Trailer

A recent thread by member, Grumpy, made me start this thread.

What do you do when a stranger wants to help you back your trailer? You're ready to ease the trailer into the site, your spouse is strategically placed, cell phone in hand, and then the park manager or fellow camper starts telling you to "turn left..straighten it out...more...etc.,".

We do most of our trailering in the winter months in the southern U.S., and we cruise on our sailboat on Lake Michigan in the summer. Docking a sailboat is just like backing a trailer. Downhill. On ice. Slip neighbors and sometimes marina managers want to pitch in. Help is a great concept, but not if their actions are contrary to your docking plan. Wanna help...great....hand me that line right there. And, they grab a different line, pull it taut, and put the boat in danger of hitting the big, steel spike.

I say, my trailer/boat, my rules. Unless or course, you're willing to pay for the damage you do when you screw up.

How do you respond to those who start "helping" without asking if you want help. And how do you go about helping others?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

My wife and 3 kids "help me back in" so I have never had anyone else come up and offer.
They are very "well trained" and we work well together!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

If you dont need help politely tell them no.

Also many onlookers like to judge on your backing up skills!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

The only time I accept help is from the park staff when it is their policy to guide you to the site and help get you parked. I figure they have experience parking rigs of all sizes and they are familiar with the sites. They offer this assistance to help minimize the time you are blocking the road with your RV. This is the policy at most KOA campgrounds and several privately owned campgrounds. If a fellow camper offers help. I politely decline and tell them the wife and I have it "covered". If I'm alone, I try to get a pull-thru site. If I have to get help from a fellow camper, I make sure I'm the one giving instruction on what I want them to do. At the end, you are the Captain and have the final say and ALL the responsibility.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
CAG

Quote:
This is the policy at most KOA campgrounds and several privately owned campgrounds.
Obviously one that their lawyers did not review because they are going to be the "deep pockets" that get sued when property is damaged or someone is injured. As my legal advisor used to say. "It is not if, it is when".

My response is "Thanks, I really appreciate it but we have it under control. I will shout if we do need some help".

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

I am a solo female camper, been towing various trailers my whole life. I have backed up some trailers for a few guys! I am good at it. If anybody approaches I tell them I got it. People are usually very impressed with my backing skills.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #7

I just say I got it but thank you for the offer.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #8

Experience taught me to be polite but clear. No thanks, I work better A. alone B with my wife.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #9

I let my Rottweiler out of the truck before I park the trailer. No one has ever tried to help me. I wonder why.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Thankfully, no one other than park staff has every approached or offered to help. This has always worked out to my benefit.

In a KOA once, DW was backing. I wasn't feeling well, so I let the park staffer guide her. They did absolutely fantastic. He told her the exact right thing to do and when to do it. She was so proud of herself.

Another time at a private park, the guy got me all kinds of wrong. I ended up driving through his gravel which he then had to come fix. If I had done it on my own, I would have been all the way on the pavement the whole time. He didn't have me setup right. But whatever, his loss. And that was the ONLY time of many that an error happened.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #11

We frequent a KOA site and they lead us to the site and then help/assist in getting the TT spotted on our site. Usually I don't have to do anything other than follow their directions, and ask the DW if that's where she wants the TT to be. If she says no, then we try again. I do inspect the site for trees and etc., before backing in and tell DW and staffer to keep 4' away from "that" tree due to the slide.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

I have never had an offer to help so far. I'm not the worlds best back in guy and I don't like when at some parks the staff watches you back in, makes me nervous. They stick around until we are in, I guess it's to make sure you don't ruin any of their stuff.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #13

I have not had any help in backing in to any spot which while camping is very limited so far as I mostly had pull throughs, however at the storage yard it is the only way for me to park and I am normally on my own there. If I am not then my wife would be as useful as a chocolate tea pot. I have got quite use to it, but I will get out and look as needed.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #14

Last summer, I watch a guy struggling to back in a really long TT in to a spot. Part of his issue was a large/tall piece of concrete across from his site, that was low enough to be out of sight from his cab, and I could tell he was worried about hitting it. I just stood on it, so he did not worry about hitting it. That is about all I will do unless someone asks, which has never happened.

First time out with our current trailer, don't think it even had plates on it. My DW had never helped guide me or anyone else before. Someone came running over and asked if I needed help, as I told her my plan, and how to give me signals. I said "I think I got it, but I will let you know if I need some extra guidance". Never saw him again. We got it in on the first try. FYI, I had backed up many trailers before, and often solo.

When she first started helping me, she had a tendency to stand in a blind spot. As a result, I just stop, told her I did not want to accidentally drive over her if she tripped. She has learned, If she cannot see me in the mirrors, I cannot see her. It took a few years, and asking for more clear indicators. She is very good and giving guidance. At our current home we do use cell phones, as our driveway is so narrow, she cannot stand anywhere in back and be scene.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #15

I will also add, don't try to be a hero. Use a spotter if you've got one. If not, you will soon thereafter learn that your man pride isn't worth a few thousand dollar repair job.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I will also add, don't try to be a hero. Use a spotter if you've got one. If not, you will soon thereafter learn that your man pride isn't worth a few thousand dollar repair job.
+1!!

That's mostly what DW does when we're parking; makes sure I don't hit something and tells me where she wants it.

If I'm solo, I get out and look. Over and over if I have to.

I'll pretty much blindly trust my wife, will trust but verify if it's a CG employee, and absolutely NOT trust the peanut gallery.

One thing I forgot to mention is LOOK UP! I've been uncomfortably close to hitting something up high because I was so focused on where my tires were going. Both DW and I have a good habit of looking high AND low and calling out obstacles.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #17

We recently stayed at campsite where they guide you to the spot and assist with parking. It was a pull thru, but a little tight with all the rigs around and our 60ft overall length.

I know my truck and trailer and how it responds, so even though he was barking orders (a bit too loud, not with ill-intent, more to be certain I heard him over the truck) I made some corrections outside of his guidance.

I also got out at one point and looked for myself, which helped me understand what he was saying/seeing. At the end of it I was parked perfectly in the spot.

Other than that, I don't usually need or want help. With the rear camera and getting out to look (a few times usually) I've been able to do alright.

I have had neighbors try to come help but it flusters me a bit. I've got it visualized in my head so when outside opinions start coming in I get overwhelmed, especially if we've been driving all day and I'm a bit tired.

A few deep breathes help. I probably need to get better at saying "thanks for the offer but I got this". Most people are understanding.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #18

I don't mind when the CG staff offer to help. They pretty much know what to do and what people want. The CG we frequent the most doesn't even ask anymore. They know us well and know we're kind of picky.

The one's that annoy me are the ones with the 5ver or 30 footer who think I'm inexperienced because I have a 21 ft trailer and because I get out and scope the site first, even ones I'm familiar with. Incidentally these are the same ones that always get the pull through sites! But no matter who it is that offers I politely decline. My wife is my spotter and we both know where we want the trailer.

And I never ask anyone if they need help unless they are really struggling and/or I can tell they really are inexperienced.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #19

Well, I guess I'm the exception. If someone offers to help, I say sure and ask them to watch for low hanging limbs or other obstacles..

The way I look at it, is the opportunity to introduce yourself to your camping neighbor and have a little chit chat session while the wife and kids are setting up the camp.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #20

I have no problem telling others, thanks, I've got it. On the other hand, I have helped a number of people that needed the help, especially Newbies. If I watch them struggling I politely ask the driver if he wants an extra set of eyes. They can then tell me the level of help they want. Then I watch their attitude, if they are calm and receptive I will help. On two or three occassion the DW is very grateful as they really don't understand how to "direct"; until someone takes the time to educate them. Frankly, I am not interested in a society where the fear of lawyers stops me from doing what it the right thing.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote