Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Help me hook up my television

So the picture shows what I've got. there's a HDMI cable, red and white cables (I'm assuming audio), power outlets, a 12V outlet with a coax connection, and the plate with two coax ports with the grey wire connecting them.
I'm assuming the plate with two ports is one for the tv antenna on the roof and one for the cable that is wired to the outside of the trailer for hooking up to cable in a campground. Didn't have my glasses on when taking the picture, so don't know if the plate says anything on it.
Am I correct to assume this is as easy as running the cable line from the plate to the tv?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200214_102019.jpg  

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #2

I’ll start with a little info, mine is wired differently. I’m sure others will have more info.

I’m assuming the hdmi and rca jacks are coming from your tv?
HDMI is probably so you can hook up a DVD player, it should also carry the sound...
The red and black rca jacks could also be for a sound bar.

If you have an entertainment center, like a radio type device, the rca jacks would go there so you can use your speakers in your ceiling. Maybe the entertainment device will take the hdmi if it’s a newer unit, mine will not.

You could connect the tv using coax wire (round type black wire) to the plate with the label. There will be a switch on it and when the amplifier is on a green light will come on. Then you could get over the air channels with the antenna.
If you hook up to cable at a campground, make sure the green light is off.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

the HDMI cable and the RCA cables are coming out of the wall, so I assume they are associated with the sound system. Under the open shelf there is a radio/cd player, etc., no problem using that, bluetooth from my phone works, etc. There are ceiling and outdoor speakers, so I guess if I hook the audio cables to the tv then the sound would come out of the speakers instead of directly from the tv.

there are no switches anywhere, no lights.

I just want to hook up the tv to the roof antenna or to a campground cable hook up but there appears to be 3 possible options to put the coax cable in. I would use the HDMI port on the tv for the Roku stick.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #4

Help me hook up my television

Bear with me as I’m not in my rig and am going by memory which is scary! Lol!!

You are correct in that the hdmi and rca plugs are coming from the audio system.. they should already be connected in the back of it.

The hdmi cable is for the audio systems DVD player picture/sound feed and should be connected to one of the hdmi ports on the tv.
The red/white RCA cable will feed audio from the tv to the audio system (ceiling speakers) when using cable/antenna feed and should be connected to the audio OUT ports on the tv.

When using the roof antenna, you need to turn on the antenna booster, run channel scan to find OTA channels. Antenna will also need to be raised and rotated as required to find channels. To turn on the booster there should be a little power button on one of those two coax plates (see my edited pic.. green circle area I believe).. booster should be OFF when using cable tv feed.

If I remember correctly, the jumper coax stays as is. Fiddling with the jumper is only necessary when using a satellite system. You run another coax from the open coax (other plate) to the coax connection on the tv.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	56529
Old 02-19-2020, 11:53 PM   #5

Run a coaxial cable from the back of your television to the connector right below the 12v outlet. Done. You will, of course, need to run a channel scan on your television so it will find and use all the available cable channels.

Leave the "loop" on the coax cable to the left alone.

Your television will now work with cable, or if no cable is available, it will use your antenna. You make the selection between cable and over the air in your television's menu.

If you select over the air, you need to push the small button on panel where you connected the coax from your television. Look closer....with a flashlight if you have to. It's there. The small button turns on the antenna booster, and when you turn it on, you'll see a small green light on that panel. Right next to the button your pushed. Without using the booster, it's unlikely you'll get many, or any television channels. Use your television menu to select over the air channel scan.

When cable is available, you have to turn the booster off, or the cable won't work.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #6

thanks all for the responses. I've camped all my life but when I was a kid there was no such thing as cable tv and my parents never had a tv in the trailer. As an adult, it's been a series of popups and this is our first travel trailer, so haven't tried to hook up a tv before.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #7

We have the two panels on the right but not the one on the left. Unable to find anything on the outside of trailer to connect to the site’s cable. Antennas not working either. So I’m thinking we’re missing a major piece to this puzzle. New to all this, so any help is appreciated.
Beeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeners View Post
We have the two panels on the right but not the one on the left. Unable to find anything on the outside of trailer to connect to the site’s cable. Antennas not working either. So I’m thinking we’re missing a major piece to this puzzle. New to all this, so any help is appreciated.
What RV do you have?

If you don't have the panel (loop) on the left, that may likely mean you have just one place prewired to mount a television. That's fine.

How did you determine your antenna doesn't work?

Did you use the antenna booster as I described above?

Run a channel scan?

Did you rotate your antenna and try it in multiple directions?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

We have a small JayFlight 17’. We’ve tried scanning channels with green light on the button. Nothing. There is no cable coming out of the side of the trailer to connect to the site’s cable. At a loss here.
Beeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #10

HDMI cable...

The HDMI cable is for your "entertainment system". If you plug that into your TV (not Tow Vehicle ), you can use the DVD (if equipped) and access a menu for the stereo/dvd player.
cpjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #11

What year jay flight? Is your tv hooked up to the lower of the 2 coax connections on the wall late?
Sottile120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #12

Based on the problems I had in getting the TVs to work, I would suggest having an experienced Mobile Tech with the tools to trace the signals through the coax cables try to fix your systems. In my Precept and in my last Class C, the coax cables were connected incorrectly at the factory. There was no signal being sent from either the Satellite or cable input fittings in the water compartment to the output fitting in the cabinet. The dealer tried to fix it, but lost the ability of the antenna to get a signal to the 3 TVs. To get a signal to the main TV in the Dinette, from either my portable satellite dome (Direct TV) or Park cable, I had to put an input fitting on the outside wall with coax to a fitting next to the electrical outlet on the wall by the dinette table. It worked great, but would not be satisfactory to any subsequent purchaser. I asked the Mobile Tech whose base is in the RV Park where we are spending the winter to take a look. He pulled out all the wires and found that one coax cable in the cabinet was not connected to anything and the rest were connected incorrectly. He started at the outside input fittings and traced where they went with his signal equipment. Never found where the Cable input went. After labeling each cable found in the cabinet, he connected the three critical ones to the three fittings on the back of the outlet which had the switch for the Aerial booster. The satellite fitting in the Water Compartment will now feed the output fitting beside the power button. He found no connection between the Water Compartment inputs and the outside TV or the bedroom TV. He assumed there was no coax cable to those TVs or the splitters in the wall were incorrectly connected. He did get all three TVs to work on the antenna and the main TV on the satellite input. We are happy TV watchers now.

jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #13

Thanks for the info about the jumper cable as the dealer never explained how that worked. I replaced it, the jumper, and now run the coax from the outlet adjacent to the 12V outlet. Works great!!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #14

So if I hook up to the campground system using the antenna cable connection in my outside cubby, and turn off the green power indicater light inside near the TV, I should be good to go?
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamnpete View Post
So if I hook up to the campground system using the antenna cable connection in my outside cubby, and turn off the green power indicater light inside near the TV, I should be good to go?
You'll also need to go into the menu setup on the TV, and change the input source to "cable", then scan for channels.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote