Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Help Needed- hole in new rig

So picked up a 2018 28BHBE 3 weeks ago. Found what I believed to be a hole on the roof that was patched. Fast forward a week since I found it and I dropped it off at the dealer tonight.
Sure enough, dealer pulled back the sealant and there is a hole. Haven't even camped in it yet.

Anyone know what my options are regarding pushing for a replacement trailer?

Jayco said they want to replace the entire roof under warranty.

Dealer is talking patch and money back.

I just want the new trailer I thought I purchased without a roof being ripped off and replaced or a patch.

If it had happened camping, oh well but I didn't want a new trailer with damage. They had a 2017 28BHBE on the lot but the frame was all rusty so we wanted brand new.......also if I had seen it on PDI I would have walked away.

Any comments or advise?
Attached Thumbnails
20171009_130122.jpg   20171016_181038(1).jpg  
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

How did the hole get there? Based on the dealer's approach sounds like they knew about it.

If it's just in the membrane and they're offering a fair chunk of cash as a discount I would probably accept a patch.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

I honestly don't think they did. This was just suggested as I don't think they want to replace the roof with the work involved. They looked shocked when they peeled it back and seen the hole to be honest.

I dropped it off after hours tonight and it was a quick conversation. No numbers where even discussed. It is being reported to Jayco and I am waiting for their response.

I think it came from Jayco like this.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
I honestly don't think they did. This was just suggested as I don't think they want to replace the roof with the work involved. They looked shocked when they peeled it back and seen the hole to be honest.

I think it came from Jayco like this.
Then they didn't check it over before giving it to you.

add... Your close enough for it to go back to the factory for a replacement.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

So is there a time window for a replacement?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
So is there a time window for a replacement?
Your dealer can see what the Service Center's schedule looks like. If it's just the membrane, that's probably a quick fix.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

If it were mine I would take the $$$ and put a small EternaBond patch on it and call it good. The patch will outlive that new roof.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

If you’re paying for perfection then you should get it. I got my 28BHBE at a great discount cause of hail damage. No holes in roof, just 3 dents on the side that I didn’t even see on PDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
If it were mine I would take the $$$ and put a small EternaBond patch on it and call it good. The patch will outlive that new roof.
X2. I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be some sort of renumeration to you. But I wouldn't be comfortable putting a new roof on that brand new unit. I believe that there is a far greater chance of causing more issues having that work done than there is just patching it with some Eternabond and calling it good. There are many, many trailers out there with similar patches from tree branches etc. Get some money back from the deal, patch it, and consider it your first battle scar. That way, when the next one comes, you will not worry about it as much.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #10

If Jayco wants to replace entire roof, let them. Especially if you are NOT going to be using it this winter anyway.

I don't think they are going to offer a replacement trailer..............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
It's such an easy fix with Eternabond, I wouldn't hesitate to fix it myself and call it good. You'll need a roll of Eternabond anyway to repair other problems that show up as the trailer ages. Take the money and run.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
It's such an easy fix with Eternabond, I wouldn't hesitate to fix it myself and call it good. You'll need a roll of Eternabond anyway to repair other problems that show up as the trailer ages. Take the money and run.
Just had my entire roof replaced June 2017 on my 16 Eagle 321 RSTS.Poor installation from factory. Glad I did found other issues, cracked plywood decking, front of camper not sealed correctly. I would not let them patch it.Jayco gave dealer 40 hours labor to do the job! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #13

Seeing that you are from Ontario, I hope you have a decent dealer...
I did NOT, and will not set foot in their shop again.
I am keeping my finger's crossed that you are offered a great deal of money back and that they fix/patch it properly.
You are aware of it now, and will keep an eye on it, and can reseal when needed.
Might actually be a blessing, as you may check your roof more often!

But, I do feel your pain, as I experienced buying a brand new hot tub and it had a leak, I wanted a replacement, all they did was repair, no money refunded either.
2008 Pilot: she gave me 500 000 KM, and became a parts' donor
PoohbearT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #14

I would patch it as suggested and take the cash, put the money towards paying off debt, or use it for camping expenses.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #15

X2
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #16

If it comes down to a roof membrane replacement, you may want to ask the dealer if he has experience doing that sort of thing. Otherwise, you may be worse off.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #17

Eternabond will out last the rest of it. Cash in pocket for other upgrades, I understand your thoughts, I bought a new truck once got it home had a dent in it took it back they fixed still today 12 yrs later every time I look at that spot i think of the dent ha
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #18

Had a good size tree shatter and fall on mine during a storm this spring. It put three holes in the edge of my roof the largest of which was dime sized. Insurance Co wanted to have the whole roof membrane replaced or they could give me a check made to the lien holder. I looked at it as me keeping three small holes from leaking or my dealer keeping the whole thing from leaking... I took the check, paid off half of the principal on my trailer, and patched with eternabond along with Dicor. No way was I going to trust seeing ALL the roof trim, ALL the perimeter trim, plus ALL the roof penetrations and the awning be removed and resealed by my dealer. Drip, drip, drip, forever I'm sure...

All that being said I would think the dealer should make it right with you as yours was supposed to be new when you bought it. Good luck, if it happened to me I"d want the difference between retail and wholesale value of the camper refunded to me. Just like with mine you will take a hit when you sell or trade it in the future so they may as well take it as far as I'm concerned. Very doubtful, they have the cash and you have the camper but you never know, if they did make it right they'd have my business for life if I were you.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #19

I'll take it one step further... If Jayco authorizes a replacement membrane, see if they will cut you the check and allow you to get it repaired yourself. Then I would drive over to my nearest Rhino liner (or similar dealer) and get a spray on liner.

I doubt Jayco would cut you a check... but its worth asking.

When was your trailer made and delivered to the dealer? How long has the decking underneath possibly been exposed to weather? I would probably get a moisture meter and test the decking. If it came back dry, I would get a nice wide piece of Eternabond tape and patch the hole myself and take the financial offer from the dealer.

I doubt your roofing decking has seen enough moisture to cause any rot issues, but a moisture meter would help confirm that. The Eternabond patch will outlast the roof. If the decking is in good shape, take the money and run!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #20

I would go with the replacement - as a matter of fact, I did just that. I had a slightly different situation - bought the trailer - took it to the dealer for other work - when checking it in dealer saw rafters pushing on roof. We only had the trailer for a few weeks and hadn't used it yet. Jayco authorized the replacement for 2 rafters and the entire roof. Here's the thing - if you have any other issues while it's under warranty and don't go with the replacement they recommend, they won't warranty it. It becomes your problem. Maybe nothing happens, maybe a rafter breaks. Your call, but it costs you nothing to have them do the work and it stays under warranty. Second thing - if you decide to sell it, the next buyer will look at that patch and take money off what your asking price. Even if you price it lower knowing that, they will still ask for a lower price. If it is replaced completely, the next buyer won't even know anything was done. Good luck either way.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote