Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Help no hot water in rv

New to trailering. My issue is no hot water comes out of taps. Hot water heater works. I have flame. When bypass open I get water out of each tap. When bypass closed I had a thin stream of water out of the hot tap then it stopped and no water out of any hot water tap. Is it possible hot water tank not full? How do I know hot water tank is full? I lifted pressure release valve at Atwood heater and water came out so I figured I had water. Any ideas. I’ve taken my 2011 Jayco 19RD out twice dry camping and loved it. Everything worked except hot water.
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Do you have two bypass valves or three? And has it worked properly before and this issue is new?

Can you post a picture of your valve setup as it stands now?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

Is every hot water outlet not working? If so (and all water line valves are in their correct position), I would suspect a clogged water line immediately exiting the top of the water tank. That would not be normal BUT if a larger object had found its way into the WH tank and then forced into the outgoing water line to somewhat cork it, it would affect all spigots calling for hot water.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

I will post picture later today after my appointments. Thanks
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Bypass has to be crossed on the line and the tank valves has to be in-line with the pipe.
And when you open the pressure limit valve and water comes out, yes your tank is full.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #6

The first time you turn on a hot water tap at the beginning of the season, and BEFORE turning on the hot water heater, [insure bypass is in the correct position] you should allow water from the city line or fresh water tank (under pump pressure) to purge the hot water lines and hot water tank of air (hot water tank is emptied during the winterization process). Once you get a steady stream of cold water out of the hot water line you'll know the lines and tank have been purged of air and the hot water tank is full of water. At that point (only at that point) should you turn on the hot water heater. After a 5 ~ 10 minutes you should be getting warm.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #7

Hot Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13 View Post
New to trailering. My issue is no hot water comes out of taps. Hot water heater works. I have flame. When bypass open I get water out of each tap. When bypass closed I had a thin stream of water out of the hot tap then it stopped and no water out of any hot water tap. Is it possible hot water tank not full? How do I know hot water tank is full? I lifted pressure release valve at Atwood heater and water came out so I figured I had water. Any ideas. I’ve taken my 2011 Jayco 19RD out twice dry camping and loved it. Everything worked except hot water.

Learned a lesson, bought previous tt, even tested on dealer lot, left for camping trip from there. Six hours later, setting up and excited about DSI ignition on hot water tank, as previous unit had a pilot. Couple of hours later, wife gets in shower. We are dry camping, have filled reservoir, or so we think, and she runs A BUNCH of water and it was hot, got cold. I take short cold shower. At about 400am I hear hot water tank fire up...
Next morning I get up, got little over a cupfull of hot water, the it went cold. Stepped outside to see if hot water tank was warm, it was. pulled cover off cabinet behind the water heater and it jumped right up at me.

bypass valves were not lined up. Hot side was, cold side in bypass. Quickly discovered yet another issue, the fresh water tank only had 1/3 filled....save that one for another thread.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #8

After the bypass valves are right, what I do is turn on the pump and open the hot water tap on the kitchen sink. That allows air out of the tank. Once she gets a good stream of water, close the faucet. Then you can light the burner. I should mention that before completely filling the tank for use, I first sanitize and rinse well.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

There is also a hot water outlet valve, maybe that is off. My trailer had a cold water in valve Bottom rear of WH, a hot water out valve Top rear of WH, and a bypass valve basically a connector between the cold line in and hot line out, mainly used for winterizing your trailer

Worth a check
Old 05-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

As mentioned, check the water valves around the tank. You may have missed one.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

Pressure Relief valve closed?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

The cold input valve to the tank should be open. The hot outlet valve from the tank should be open. The bypass valve between those lines should be closed. Check that bypass valve.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote