Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Cool Help Water heater trouble

I am new to RVing and decided to make sure I know how to do everything before we head out on a long trip. I got to the water heater and I followed the Jayco Manual for My Jay Flight SLX8 284BHS. my panel inside has both electric and propane for the water heater. The with the propane on and the switch on the panel on the water heater starts but shuts of a few seconds later after it tries to light 3 times the panel says fault. with the electric switch turned on the water does not heat either. Is there somewhere that you must purge the propane system for the water heater, The stove lights fine. Please help
Southfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southfire View Post
IThe stove lights fine.
Good, thats the 1st thing to do when trying WH on propane. Then try to light (gas button on) a few times, waiting a while between; this will purge air in that line.

Easier to 1st work with the electric side, it "should" just work. You turn that switch on and an hour later you should feel hot water.

Hopefully the WH does actually have water in it? Did you ensure the bypass valves are set to NOT bypass? A quick check- with water system pressurized, open the WH safety pressure relief valve (from outside in the WH access) and see if water runs out of it.

Also check breaker and fuse at breaker box.

If all this fails then there is probably something wrong with the board/sensors.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

Thanks,

I was able to get hot water with the electric switch on. now just need to figure out the propane side.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #4

Thanks, Route 66 Traveler

The stove lights with no problem
Old 07-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Spider love the smell of propane. It only takes one small web thread in the gas tube to cause a malfunction. One more thing to check to eliminate the problem with gas flow.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #6

spider webs n bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Spider love the smell of propane. It only takes one small web thread in the gas tube to cause a malfunction. One more thing to check to eliminate the problem with gas flow.
X2, spiders and bugs will cause problems, clean the burner tube
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote