Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

Exclamation Help with replacing inverter please!

Hello,
I have a 2006 Jayco Jayfeather 23b that I got about 3 months ago. Everything was working when we were remodeling it for those couple months until we drove it up to my father in laws house to use it for the first time camping. He has a 30amp RV hookup, and when we plugged into it, we are not getting any AC power. After reading a bunch of forums I was able to locate a white ground cable that was fried and we just finished fixing that. Now my father in law has checked where power is and isn’t, and we’ve been able to isolate the problem to the inverter. Everything has power now but the inverter light isn’t on and the fans are not running (before fixing the ground wire there was no power coming in at all). So, forgive me if I’m wrong about something, because I’m learning everything as I go, but I’m pretty sure that the inverter is just fried at this point and needs to be replaced. It also seems to be the original inverter as it looks ancient anyway. Now my question is, am I correct about this being the problem and if so, what make/model should I replace it with? Any help is greatly appreciated
Shanie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

First it's a converter. If everything is working the fans only come on as needed for cooling, so you.may.not have a problem.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanie1107 View Post
. It also seems to be the original inverter as it looks ancient anyway. Now my question is, am I correct about this being the problem and if so, what make/model should I replace it with? Any help is greatly appreciated

Like Grumpy said - make sure you look for CONverters. Inverters are something else. You don't want ti buy an inverter when you need a converter.

You should be able to find a make and model on the old converter someplace. There will be a sticker in there, somewhere. Odds are good that it's a WFCO branded converter. They're still around, and still considered the more affordable option.

Before buying a new one, maybe find the manual and see if it has troubleshooting steps!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #4

If you oft for a new converter go to https://www.bestconverter.com/ and look at what they have. You can get a direct replacement for the WFCO converter. Best Converter has the Boondocker that is much better than the WFCO. There is also the Progressive Dynamics converter that is an excellent choice. Because of wire sizes you want to go for a converter that has no more amperage rating than what yours is now.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

I replaced our WFCO charger/converter with a power dynamics 60 amp unit. I like it much more than the old one, it has more than enough capacity and multistage charging so we can leave the shore power plugged in without cooking the battery.

This would also be a good time to install a plug-in connection for the input power side of the converter/charger to modernize it and make the changeout process a breeze if the need ever arises again.
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanie1107 View Post
Everything has power now but the inverter light isn’t on and the fans are not running (before fixing the ground wire there was no power coming in at all)
Assuming CONVERTER, as other have posted; Also assuming "everything has power now" that your 120V (Air conditioner, microwave) is working to your satisfaction?

What about the 12V side- lights, bath fan, hows that side working? Disconnect your battery (negative cable) and while plugged into 120V, see if lights work. This will dictate if the converter is "fried".

No reason to replace anything as long all works, without a battery connected.

Be careful of loose white 120V wires; thats generally neutral (not ground) and that can burn the house down if loose connection.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, jayfeather, repair