Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Hensley Hitch

I have a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS and just picked up the Hensley Hitch. Anyone using this hitch now? Is it as easy to hook up as they say? Is there really “No Sway”? I mean they guarantee it but I want to hear from those using it. It’s getting installed this week. Making a trip from Long Island, NY to Orlando in November and I’m hoping this relieves some of my white knuckles....lol.
johnnyp1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you have a 1 ton probably not. All manufacturers have their sales pits, reality is a different thing. Some think in their mind they are better, then they are better -Reality or Not-

So Hensley lovers speak truly, bring some good news.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
If you have a 1 ton probably not. All manufacturers have their sales pits, reality is a different thing. Some think in their mind they are better, then they are better -Reality or Not-

So Hensley lovers speak truly, bring some good news.
Uhm thank you....I think. Sorry really not sure what kind of response you just gave me. I have A 2016 Ford F-150.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #4

Installed correctly with spring bars jacked the whole way up and then backed off half a turn, I guaranty you will not have away. Backing the stinger into the hitch head is easy, but it takes some experience. The stinger and the hitch just need to be at the same angles by adjusting the tongue jack then the spring bars individually. There are days it goes right in, then there are days it takes a little patience. YES, I'm talking about the hitch, so don't go there!!!
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

johnnyp1114,

Welcome to JOF

I don't have a Hensley WDH, but a couple friends do and they like theirs. One comment that seems to be shared is that when in the locked position the TV/TT maintains a solid union. Like any WDH they all have their respective sway control limits, thus the importance of proper installation and adjustment.

To optimize the function and performance of any brand WDH a trip to the CAT under "loaded" TV/TT conditions will confirm all one's weights, proper weight distribution, and insure optimum WDH adjustment.

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandjim View Post
Installed correctly with spring bars jacked the whole way up and then backed off half a turn, I guaranty you will not have away. Backing the stinger into the hitch head is easy, but it takes some experience. The stinger and the hitch just need to be at the same angles by adjusting the tongue jack then the spring bars individually. There are days it goes right in, then there are days it takes a little patience. YES, I'm talking about the hitch, so don't go there!!!
Thank you and I won’t go there lol.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply. I bought it directly from Hensley themselves and they checked all the specs. He said it’s fairly easy to install..haha. Upon delivery I opened the box with the owners manual and installation directions, I closed the box and brought it to where I bought my camper lol and they have done many of them.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp1114 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I bought it directly from Hensley themselves and they checked all the specs. He said it’s fairly easy to install..haha. Upon delivery I opened the box with the owners manual and installation directions, I closed the box and brought it to where I bought my camper lol and they have done many of them.
If you installed it, you would have a better understanding of the hitch. It might take 2 hours tops.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Hi, just joined the forum and saw your post. My husband purchased a Hensley hitch some months ago to pull our travel trailer. I would not drive until it was installed and I could not believe how smooth the ride was. Tractor trailers passed us and I felt no sway. It was well worth the money, no more white knuckles.
rose.burrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum and thanks for letting us know how the hitch works for you.

Information about your tow vehicle and trailer could help others if you'd posted that, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #11

2014 Keystone Summerland Springdale 2980BH - sorry I left this out. We are trading it in for a Jayco Greyhawk 30z. Should be able to pick it up in a few weeks.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.burrus View Post
2014 Keystone Summerland Springdale 2980BH - sorry I left this out. We are trading it in for a Jayco Greyhawk 30z. Should be able to pick it up in a few weeks.
Welcome to JOF. I noticed that you mentioned getting out of a tt and into a Greyhawk. You know that Hensley is valuable if you were interested in selling it on our classifieds.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Hensley Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Welcome to JOF. I noticed that you mentioned getting out of a tt and into a Greyhawk. You know that Hensley is valuable if you were interested in selling it on our classifieds.
Great idea...we are also checking into selling it back to Hensley. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

A couple years ago I was forced off I-15 by a semi that came back into my lane before it cleared me. The trailer stayed behind me like it was on rails.

Now as far as hooking up is concerned that can be a major PIA.. it just depends on where you are and how much room you have to maneuver.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #15

Been using mine for 3 years now, there is no substitute. Ok, maybe a Propride but other than that there aren't any. It's design completely blocks out the trailer and the trailer can't induce any tail wagging the dog moments. Once in a while it can be a challenge to hook up but keeping some WD40 on the stinger and sprayed in the hitch helps a lot. Sometimes you have to be a little "forceful" backing into it too, if you read the manual's tips it will get easier with time. With practice it is faster to hook up than the Reese Dual Cam I was using before ever was IMO.
Good luck and happy towing.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #16

I had a Hensley for 16 years on two trailers behind two very different tow vehicles. Adjusted properly it will remove all sway. That said keep an eye on the adjustable bars that keep the tow head from moving on the hitch ball. These must be firmly adjusted. Unfortunately, these also receive impact from hitching and braking (if your trailer brake control is not adjusted to brake trailer before tow vehicle or by panic braking that just can’t be avoided). The impact will eventually cause the shear bolts to be cut and cause the weight distribution jacks to move. Then you may experience a bit of sway. I kept replacements for the shear bolts and had to replace them four times over 16 years and more than 85,000 miles. It is a minor issue easily dealt with. My wife and I drove very securely and confidently with the Hensley in all manner of road conditions. Even had a trailer tire blow out we didn’t notice until a kind stranger with a look of terror on their face drove up next to us and got our attention. It is a great hitch only surpassed by the Pro Pride that Jim Hensley also designed. I put the Pro Pride on my third trailer earlier this year and just returned from a 7755 mile round trip to Alaska. The differences are subtle but noticeable to me and there is no shear bolt problem. BTW I installed both hitches over the years. The parts are heavy but it is not to difficult, and I am 66 years old this year.
Stmaplebury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

I drive a 2016 F150 and tow a 2018 28BHBE. I had white knuckle driving with the Husky Centerline I purchased from the dealer. I wanted a Hensley but my wife wouldn't let me make the investment until she drove the setup for about 5 miles on the highway. She said as soon as we got home I could order one. Made a tremendous difference and now no sway, she even hauls it now. Installed it myself & really wasn't difficult. Definitely gives you a better understanding installing it yourself. It can be difficult to hook up at first but gets easier as you go. I have found that putting the stinger in the hitch then backing close to the trailer then making sure all is square by adjusting the wd bars works best for me. Once it is all square, backing in is a breeze.
njburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmaplebury View Post
I had a Hensley for 16 years on two trailers behind two very different tow vehicles. Adjusted properly it will remove all sway. That said keep an eye on the adjustable bars that keep the tow head from moving on the hitch ball. These must be firmly adjusted. Unfortunately, these also receive impact from hitching and braking (if your trailer brake control is not adjusted to brake trailer before tow vehicle or by panic braking that just can’t be avoided). The impact will eventually cause the shear bolts to be cut and cause the weight distribution jacks to move. Then you may experience a bit of sway. I kept replacements for the shear bolts and had to replace them four times over 16 years and more than 85,000 miles. It is a minor issue easily dealt with. My wife and I drove very securely and confidently with the Hensley in all manner of road conditions. Even had a trailer tire blow out we didn’t notice until a kind stranger with a look of terror on their face drove up next to us and got our attention. It is a great hitch only surpassed by the Pro Pride that Jim Hensley also designed. I put the Pro Pride on my third trailer earlier this year and just returned from a 7755 mile round trip to Alaska. The differences are subtle but noticeable to me and there is no shear bolt problem. BTW I installed both hitches over the years. The parts are heavy but it is not to difficult, and I am 66 years old this year.

Stmaplebury, what are the subtle differences with the ProPride? I considered one when I bought my Hensley earlier this year but after talking with people on other forums I went with the Hensley. Both were heavily researched before I made the decision.
njburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by njburn View Post
Stmaplebury, what are the subtle differences with the ProPride? I considered one when I bought my Hensley earlier this year but after talking with people on other forums I went with the Hensley. Both were heavily researched before I made the decision.
ProPride is a bit more forgiving when hitching. I haven’t bothered to figure out why. When the stinger is inserted and not quite in, the Hensley would need to be realigned, the ProPride will muscled in without much effort.

My subjective review is the ProPride feels a bit smoother when starting and stopping. They are identical when towing unless the Hensley gets out of adjustment and the it will be a bit squirrelly. ProPride doesn’t have the same issue because all forward and backward stress/force goes through the hitch ball. This difference in force transfer may account for what I observed.

My undergrad degree was in Engineering Mechanics (mathematical modeling and analysis of mechanical systems). I pay a lot of attention to sound and feel of mechanical systems, so I was attentive to how the ProPride behaved, sound and felt.
Stmaplebury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #20

Hitch

Hi we got our hitch after our 1st white knuckle trip at that time we had a 95 4runner pulling a 2008 17ft Wolf Pup All I can say is WOW it's night and day Now we have a 04 tundra pulling a 2019 jay flight 22 ft we forget it's back there no sway nothing Really worth the money
Lpeden is offline   Reply With Quote