Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #41

I was in the same boat as you, we bought a 2yr old Jayco with Rainier tires.

The person I bought off of took really good care of the trailer, but only used it 2 weeks out off the year. The trailer was virtually new with only 4 weeks of use.

I ran the Rainiers for 1 year, but I couldn't get those tires out of the back of my mind. Sitting for 50 out of 52 weeks can't be good.

The next summer I bought Carlisle Radial HDs. I went up a load range as my rims could handle a higher PSI tire. I went form LRD to LRE and from 65 to 80PSI.

I'm really really happy with the Carlisle tires. My trailer is stored in my shop and every winter I block up the trailer so the wheels are off the ground. I drop the PSI down to 30 and leave it like that until spring.

I hope to get 6 or 7 years out of the tires this way. The tires look great, no cracks or uneven wear or bubbles. I did get a roofing nail in 1, so it has a plug, but other than that, the tires are near new condition.

I will keep an eye on things and see how they wear. I won't hesitate to change them out if I notice anything suspicious about them. They're pretty cheap, I think I paid $57/tire and $15 install each.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #42

Wow! You really pamper those babies!
Mind you, there is a lot resting on those things so probably good insurance. I don't go quite to that extent but I do keep them on gravel and they are covered when parked.
Pete
Pop#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop#1 View Post
That's good advice and in fact ordered online a cheap one to test out.
Pete
Being you didn't quote who was giving good advice, I assume you are talking about a Tire Monitoring Pressure System (TMPS). Hopefully you ordered one that will handle your tire pressures.

I took a quick glance on Amazon and there are a number of them that are well under the $300 price range. However pressure limit is 87 psi on most in the low price range. That will be OK for a mid-size TT that has C or D range tires (65-87 psi), but won't handle a large 5th wheel with a G range tire that can go up to cold psi of 110lbs.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop#1 View Post
That's good advice and in fact ordered online a cheap one to test out.
Pete
The thing to watch on the cheap ones is the max psi it can monitor. Some can only go up to 65psi, that would work on my TT but my flatbed tires require 95psi max. The TST 507 will monitor up to 218psi.