Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

highway road construction, narrow

Some of the interstate when there is a road construction, the lanes becomes a very narrow 2 lanes. With 7 feet wide trailer, I already keep looking at the mirror fearing that it would scrape those concrete road divider, or fearing that it would scrape other vehicle passing by causing accident .
I'm particularly concerned when a semi pass my by on a narrow road.

What do you all do with 8 feet wide trailers in narrrow road like that?
Even with sway control, there would at least be a little bit of tail wagging when a semi pass by.
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

I have a friend who usually just avoid interstate altogether when travelling and go on the state road network. But I think that's just too much
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

Woof! I share your pain Pawn. We pulled our first TT from Fla to Tx a few years ago and the by-pass around New Orleans was like that. WHITE knuckles! My comments are go as slow as necessary to be comfortable. For me that's been in the 40's in a 65 zone. I've also noticed that when driving next to a right hand barricade, it looks CLOSE out the passenger window. What looks like inches is actually 2 feet when I look in the mirror.
Slow down and stay alert and calm IMHO.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

I can watch the center and keep it close to the center lane mark and drive slow. However, my concern is a crazy semi just pass by and driving pass that middle lane marker, and boom!! When that happen, how to proof that it's actually them that drive pass the middle lane marker, that is if we are still alive
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #5

At one time there was a grey hound bus that did that to me. Luckily I steer to the right quickly. He was probably mad for me driving too slow
Old 02-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #6

I do the same thing RedHorse does, slow down and do what's comfortable for me. You're really not as close to the barrier as you think you are, and another thing to remember is that the semi drivers don't want to hit you either.

Made the mistake of not planning my route properly a couple of years ago when we were brand new to camping and ended up pulling through the I-90 construction in IL. I was WHITE knuckle for over an hour, and DW ended up just closing her eyes out of sheer fright. Two years, and many trips later, I still don't like going over either of the bridges to Cape Cod as both are narrow, but have to deal with it in order to camp there - one of our favorite places to go.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Woof! I share your pain Pawn. We pulled our first TT from Fla to Tx a few years ago and the by-pass around New Orleans was like that. WHITE knuckles! My comments are go as slow as necessary to be comfortable. For me that's been in the 40's in a 65 zone. I've also noticed that when driving next to a right hand barricade, it looks CLOSE out the passenger window. What looks like inches is actually 2 feet when I look in the mirror.
Slow down and stay alert and calm IMHO.
Great advice!!!!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

Got caught up in one of these messes a few years ago going through a construction zone near Giants stadium in NJ. 3 pothole filled lanes of bumper to bumper at 70mph with concrete barriers on either side. All I could do was grip the wheel a little tighter and tell myself to stop worrying about side clearances in the mirror. Focus on what's ahead and keep it between the lines. Those narrow lanes are still wider than they appear.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

SparkDr has it right...just stop looking in the mirrors except for quick glances to look for passing vehicles. I focus on driving my truck in the center of my lane and the camper just follows. With the ProPride hitch, I am usually the one passing the slow, nervous drivers.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

At the risk of hijacking a tread, where are the pictures of this intriguing LiftedAWDAstro? A man's just gotta know...

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I However, my concern is a crazy semi just pass by and driving pass that middle lane marker, and boom!! When that happen, how to proof that it's actually them that drive pass the middle lane marker, that is if we are still alive
Buy a dash-cam even for when driving in non construction areas.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
SparkDr has it right...just stop looking in the mirrors except for quick glances to look for passing vehicles. I focus on driving my truck in the center of my lane and the camper just follows. With the ProPride hitch, I am usually the one passing the slow, nervous drivers.
X 3 on this. Most states will maintain at least 10' lanes and usually shot for 11', so in reality, it's not as tight as it feels. Slowing down is good, but you have to balance that against the speed of others. Driving at near half the speed of others could end badly, even of its not your fault.

I, like the others have said, have found that looking at the mirrors less and focusing on keeping the truck centered in the lane, with occasional glances to the mirrors makes it easier. Haven't hit anything yet!!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

It gets easier the more you do it. 102" wide x 75 ft x 750,000 miles = no worries. Here is what I learned in a CDL class and as a professional driver for 6 years or so.
Concentrate on staying centered in your lane, watch the road the trailer will follow the tow unit. Straight lines are no issue turns, curves have an added dimension, off tracking. Whats off tracking? Anyone turned a corner just fine till the trailer got there, then it goes over the curb? That's off track, the trailer does not follow the tow vehicles track in curves and corners. The more you pull the less issue it is, watch the inside corner in turns and curves. Mirrors should be adjusted low enough to watch the trailer as it comes around curves, just a quick glance to see where the track is.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
At the risk of hijacking a tread, where are the pictures of this intriguing LiftedAWDAstro? A man's just gotta know...
Posted a thread in the "Campfire Chat" section.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

I am a commercial truck driver and have pent my entire career pulling doubles and triples. They can wag a bunch. The industry nick name for them is " wiggle wagons". With that in mind, I 'll offer my advice.

The less you look back, the less likely you are to actually wiggle. People have a tendency of looking in the mirror and then compensate without consciously making a decision to do so. What results is a exaggerated wiggle that makes the problem worse. If your TV and mirrors (set as wide as the trailer) fit, then you've got room. Just pay attention to staying centered, traveling at an appropriate speed, and watching your off tracking and you'll be fine.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post
I am a commercial truck driver and have pent my entire career pulling doubles and triples. They can wag a bunch. The industry nick name for them is " wiggle wagons". With that in mind, I 'll offer my advice.

The less you look back, the less likely you are to actually wiggle. People have a tendency of looking in the mirror and then compensate without consciously making a decision to do so. What results is a exaggerated wiggle that makes the problem worse. If your TV and mirrors (set as wide as the trailer) fit, then you've got room. Just pay attention to staying centered, traveling at an appropriate speed, and watching your off tracking and you'll be fine.

X2

Just stay alert and calm. Always look forward.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #17

Try to relax and remember, the lane they give you is wide enough for much wider vehicles to run through. It takes experience to avoid the mirrors, but work on it. You don't have to run Old Route 66! Stay centered in your lane, eyes forward, avoid knee jerk reaction to passing vehicles.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post

53 & 57ft good advice
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote