Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Livermore,California
Posts: 375
thanks eagle
__________________

bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 415
Ah, I could be wrong, but I'd be careful going with the 5-links thing on the chain. Not all chains are the same length (even with Jayco) and the wd hitch is designed to be balanced with the TV. I would be more inclined to have the TV and trailer on a flat surface, fully loaded for travel, and through trial & error work it out so the trailer and the TV are equally level based on the links left hanging. For us, sometimes that's 3 links (basic camping junk), sometimes 4 (full water & junk), and when light 2...I've also been know to pull over and adjust depending on the "action" of the vehicles when driving. After awhile, you learn what "feels" comfortable. My humble 2cents...

We grease the ball & WD bar occasionally. No noise from the back-end suspension so can't comment.
__________________

__________________
G&A
3 kids and Buddy the Dog;)
Victoria, BC

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Ah, I could be wrong, but I'd be careful going with the 5-links thing on the chain. Not all chains are the same length (even with Jayco) and the wd hitch is designed to be balanced with the TV. I would be more inclined to have the TV and trailer on a flat surface, fully loaded for travel, and through trial & error work it out so the trailer and the TV are equally level based on the links left hanging. For us, sometimes that's 3 links (basic camping junk), sometimes 4 (full water & junk), and when light 2...I've also been know to pull over and adjust depending on the "action" of the vehicles when driving. After awhile, you learn what "feels" comfortable. My humble 2cents...

We grease the ball & WD bar occasionally. No noise from the back-end suspension so can't comment.
When you say "feels comfortable" what do you mean? I've gone the route of a level surface and measuring everything to make sure it's level, even measuring the height of the TV. But I still am not comfortable with the sway in even the slightest wind.
I normally travel 3 links, have gone up to 4 when loaded more, and should have gone down to 2 on my last trip home when I noticed the front end sitting down a bit.
Thanks
Grant
__________________
2012 Jayflight 26RLS
2008 Suburban
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Ah, I could be wrong, but I'd be careful going with the 5-links thing on the chain. Not all chains are the same length.....snip
McMonk,

Your correct on the possibility of varying chain lengths, that's why one will find that when I refer to standard WDH chain links I always reference "chain links under tension" as WDH manufactures do, thus the actual chain length doesn't become an issue.

With most TT frames less than 5-links under tension increases the potential of the spring bar tail being pulled upward into the TT frame during a TV turn (do to reduced range of motion), and in some cases the snap-up bracket "saddle" may move along the TT frame. These conditions are most notable on the taller TT frame heights.

Your dead-on about working with a "loaded" TV/TT combination and on a level surface..., both very important in returning the proper weight distribution back to the TV's front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsoo View Post
snip......But I still am not comfortable with the sway in even the slightest wind.......snip
Grant,

Your Jay Flight 26RLS (similar floorplan as my '05' 278FBS ) is a 30ft. long TT..., so assuming that your WDH is sized and adjusted correctly you may find that a single standard friction control sway bar won't be adequate should a sway event arise. Most WDH manufactures recommend that if the TT is longer than 25ft "two" friction control sway bars should be used.

IMO, you may want to consider incorporating a Reese HP Dual Cam sway control product (model #26002) to your existing WDH. The Dual Cam doesn't have to be removed when backing up and will provide enhanced TV sway control should a sway event arise.

Reese HP Dual Cam: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...655&part=26002

Check that your TV & TT tire air pressures are correct.., and many folks have found that running "LT" tires on their TV in lieu of "P" also enhances TV handling with the longer TT's.

Reference JOF 'grantsoo' thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=6866

Just food for thought.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Moving Target's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palominas, AZ
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Ah, I could be wrong, but I'd be careful going with the 5-links thing on the chain. Not all chains are the same length (even with Jayco) and the wd hitch is designed to be balanced with the TV. I would be more inclined to have the TV and trailer on a flat surface, fully loaded for travel, and through trial & error work it out so the trailer and the TV are equally level based on the links left hanging. For us, sometimes that's 3 links (basic camping junk), sometimes 4 (full water & junk), and when light 2...I've also been know to pull over and adjust depending on the "action" of the vehicles when driving. After awhile, you learn what "feels" comfortable. My humble 2cents...

We grease the ball & WD bar occasionally. No noise from the back-end suspension so can't comment.
I was wondering about chain length also. I have mine on link 2!!
Kathie
__________________

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
I was wondering about chain length also. I have mine on link 2!!
Kathie
Kathie,

Two links Under "tension", or just hanging loose? Referencing "under tension" is more commonly stated.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
McMonk,

Your correct on the possibility of varying chain lengths, that's why one will find that when I refer to standard WDH chain links I always reference "chain links under tension" as WDH manufactures do, thus the actual chain length doesn't become an issue.

With most TT frames less than 5-links under tension increases the potential of the spring bar tail being pulled upward into the TT frame during a TV turn (do to reduced range of motion), and in some cases the snap-up bracket "saddle" may move along the TT frame. These conditions are most notable on the taller TT frame heights.

Your dead-on about working with a "loaded" TV/TT combination and on a level surface..., both very important in returning the proper weight distribution back to the TV's front suspension.


Grant,

Your Jay Flight 26RLS (similar floorplan as my '05' 278FBS ) is a 30ft. long TT..., so assuming that your WDH is sized and adjusted correctly you may find that a single standard friction control sway bar won't be adequate should a sway event arise. Most WDH manufactures recommend that if the TT is longer than 25ft "two" friction control sway bars should be used.

IMO, you may want to consider incorporating a Reese HP Dual Cam sway control product (model #26002) to your existing WDH. The Dual Cam doesn't have to be removed when backing up and will provide enhanced TV sway control should a sway event arise.

Reese HP Dual Cam: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...655&part=26002

Check that your TV & TT tire air pressures are correct.., and many folks have found that running "LT" tires on their TV in lieu of "P" also enhances TV handling with the longer TT's.

Reference JOF 'grantsoo' thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=6866

Just food for thought.

Bob
Thanks Bob.
I'll check this out.

Grant
__________________

__________________
2012 Jayflight 26RLS
2008 Suburban
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.