Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2022, 06:49 AM   #41

Great trick on the Dawn dish soap, thanks!
DelawareSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I use the Lucas Green Xtra HD Grease on wheel bearings, WD Hitch points, and the ball. I keep the entire hitch head covered with a grocery bag when not in use. Do not have to clean dirt/grit out when hooking up next time. If not, when my yard man blows, it gets all kind of dirt and leaves in the pivot points.
X2, except I have been using Lucas Red. I have thought about trying the green. Maybe this spring. Sometimes I use two plastic bags, one from the top and one from the bottom. It also keeps the rain off and keeps my pants clean when I walk by and bump it.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I never had a bumper pull rv but have pulled car haulers and snowmobile trailers and never lubed hitch balls.

What about the gooseneck users, do they use lube on their bed mounted balls?
I don't on my Andersen Ultimate, not needed.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #44

How has graphite not made it into the thread yet? Couple of shots of CRC Dry graphite is quick, easy, way less messy than grease and will not collect dust and dirt.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:01 PM   #45

The centreline ya says not to lubricate to L bracket mating surface, only the ball and the 3/4” bolt if the factory lubrication wears out.
southpaw_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #46

Old school. If it’s metal to metal and it moves “ lube it”. I also like Lucas red. Is it a mess? Yep! Is it fairly easy to clean up. Kind of!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #47

Lube will help to get the hitch off of the ball when dropping the trailer.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
While we are on the subject of the Fastway E2, this might be a good time to share a project I did with my rig. I wanted to make sure that the L-pins and clips never got lost (or walk off) while not in use. I also needed a place to store the hitch head while parked. One note: I have since moved the hitch mount to the top of the frame so I didn't have to bend over far.

I made up a couple of wire rope lanyards for the L-pins an the retaining pins. You can get the materials at any home improvement store. Just drill a 1/8" hole in each L-pin, thread the wire rope through it and clamp the loop closed with aluminum ferrules. To attach them to the trailer, I just made a couple of clips out of some aluminum sheet I had laying around. For the retaining pins, I use a couple of Lynch pins (the kind that have the ring on the end that snap over to lock them in place). Again, just loop the wire through the ring and crimp on the ferrules to close.
Great idea!
Old 03-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw_1979 View Post
The centreline ya says not to lubricate to L bracket mating surface, only the ball and the 3/4” bolt if the factory lubrication wears out.
Husky Centerline TS tech support states that lube on the L brackets is OK. The anti sway takes place where the bars attach to the hitch head.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Here is an old trucker trick... use dish soap. Dawn dish soap works the best. Great lubricant and washes off with no effects to the environment.
Now that is genius. I started with grease on my hitch and e2 trunnion bar pivots. It didn't take long driving on dirt roads to turn that grease into lapping compound. ("Offroad", after all, is why I bought a Baja model.)

I switched to spray-on moly lube, but that just doesn't seem to stay on for very long.

I love the soap idea, especially for getting everything clean after driving on dirty, dusty roads.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
How has graphite not made it into the thread yet? Couple of shots of CRC Dry graphite is quick, easy, way less messy than grease and will not collect dust and dirt.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've been using the CRC moly spray in the same fashion. Can't say I'm totally satisfied. Even with multiple coats, it all seems to get rubbed down to bare metal after just a couple hundred miles.

Dunno...maybe I'd have more luck with the graphite rather than the moly.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Yes I have, no lube at the hitch head pivot points as that is where the anti-sway effect takes place.
Should be the other way around. Lubricate the pivot points where the trunnion bars connect to the receiver. No lube on the L-brackets where the trunnion bars rub. That friction at the L-brackets is what counteracts sway.

Equalizer sells plastic wear inserts for the L-brackets for those who don't like the friction noise, but they indicate they do reduce friction--and therefore anti-sway--on the e2, just as grease would.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9.../dp/B007HRJNIE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastway Bracket Jackets.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	79510
Old 03-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Should be the other way around. Lubricate the pivot points where the trunnion bars connect to the receiver. No lube on the L-brackets where the trunnion bars rub. That friction at the L-brackets is what counteracts sway.

Equalizer sells plastic wear inserts for the L-brackets for those who don't like the friction noise, but they indicate they do reduce friction--and therefore anti-sway--on the e2, just as grease would.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9.../dp/B007HRJNIE

Attachment 79510
I'll go with what the Husky tech folks say which is it's OK to lube the point where the bars contact the L brackets on the trailer frame!
Old 03-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #54

Quote:
I'll go with what the Husky tech folks say which is it's OK to lube the point where the bars contact the L brackets on the trailer frame!
Which Husky WDH do you have?

https://www.huskytow.com/weight-distribution-hitches
Old 03-08-2022, 05:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob k View Post
Old 03-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Yep, that's it. Husky anti-sway for your model is effected at the receiver where the trunnion bars attach. e2 anti-sway is effected where the trunnion bars rub on the L-brackets.

Husky says don't lube the trunnion bars at the receiver but it's o.k. to put an anti-rust coating where the bars rub on the L-brackets ("lift bracket support surfaces").

Name:	H1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	79568

Name:	H2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	79569

Fastway says don't lube the e2 where the trunnion bars rub on the L-brackets.

We had different manufacturers and models in mind when talking about lubrication.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Yep, that's it. Husky anti-sway for your model is effected at the receiver where the trunnion bars attach. e2 anti-sway is effected where the trunnion bars rub on the L-brackets.

Husky says don't lube the trunnion bars at the receiver but it's o.k. to put an anti-rust coating where the bars rub on the L-brackets ("lift bracket support surfaces").

Attachment 79568

Attachment 79569

Fastway says don't lube where the trunnion bars rub on the L-brackets.

We had different manufacturers and models in mind when talking about lubrication.
Right no lube other than the ball and where the bars rest on the L brackets. Love that hitch never had a sway issue even in some wicked winds driving in S Dakota and Wyoming. Just bought some Teflon that I'm going to cut and use on the L brackets in place of the lube.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
While we are on the subject of the Fastway E2, this might be a good time to share a project I did with my rig. I wanted to make sure that the L-pins and clips never got lost (or walk off) while not in use. I also needed a place to store the hitch head while parked. One note: I have since moved the hitch mount to the top of the frame so I didn't have to bend over far.

I made up a couple of wire rope lanyards for the L-pins an the retaining pins. You can get the materials at any home improvement store. Just drill a 1/8" hole in each L-pin, thread the wire rope through it and clamp the loop closed with aluminum ferrules. To attach them to the trailer, I just made a couple of clips out of some aluminum sheet I had laying around. For the retaining pins, I use a couple of Lynch pins (the kind that have the ring on the end that snap over to lock them in place). Again, just loop the wire through the ring and crimp on the ferrules to close.
------
Curious... why didn't you just stick the hitch head in the hitch and padlock it?

I would have covered up the greasy ball and been 'right there' when you needed it.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #59

Dish soap was told to me by a 40 year veteran truck driver before I started driving professionally 20 years ago. I always carry it and it's multi purpose. I even put a bit in my sewer hose from time to time. Now having a wife in the medical field she always keeps the hand sanitizer and dish soap in the good old wet bay plenty of rubber gloves too. The big benefit to the dish soap is in off road areas. No way to avoid dirt and sand in the hitch. Just rinse and re-apply. And it's cheap.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareSteve View Post
Continuing my newbie questions-we had the Fastway E-2 weight distribution sway control unit installed and service rep recommended that I lubricate the ball on every use. Which lubricant should I use?
Did not read all replies so sorry if this is a duplicate - I have the e2 on my 2013 F150 Platinum to tow my 2022 RB25.

For whatever reason I have one booger of a time un-hitching, especially if the truck is uneven with the trailer yoke, eg back into a downhill site where trailer axle is lower or uphill site where truck axle is lower. It’s almost as if the front edge of the hitch will not clear the ball unless I back up or pull forward about 1/4 inch - which actually is impossible to do so I wind up lifting the rear truck bumper with the electric Jack (can’t be good for it) and my wife and I bounce on the bumper until the hitch lets go.

It’s a pain in the neck and I can’t believe it’s normal so beware….
nkdenton is offline   Reply With Quote