Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkdenton View Post
Did not read all replies so sorry if this is a duplicate - I have the e2 on my 2013 F150 Platinum to tow my 2022 RB25.

For whatever reason I have one booger of a time un-hitching, especially if the truck is uneven with the trailer yoke, eg back into a downhill site where trailer axle is lower or uphill site where truck axle is lower. Itís almost as if the front edge of the hitch will not clear the ball unless I back up or pull forward about 1/4 inch - which actually is impossible to do so I wind up lifting the rear truck bumper with the electric Jack (canít be good for it) and my wife and I bounce on the bumper until the hitch lets go.

Itís a pain in the neck and I canít believe itís normal so bewareÖ.

Yeah this is unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence. I have found that if I put the wife in the truck with it in neutral and park brake off it will let the truck settle in and the hitch will actually position itself better to let go of the ball. Or if needed put the tuck in drive and just let it idle depending on what angle your at sometimes its reverse. Also I wouldn't worry too much about the jack being over stressed they are built for much more weight then the most trailers put then under.
Make sure you have good lube on the ball also. I prefer dish soap but you can use whatever your preference is. This is a really common issue with 5thwheels and it's more of a safety measure then anything.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Yeah this is unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence. I have found that if I put the wife in the truck with it in neutral and park brake off it will let the truck settle in and the hitch will actually position itself better to let go of the ball. Or if needed put the tuck in drive and just let it idle depending on what angle your at sometimes its reverse. Also I wouldn't worry too much about the jack being over stressed they are built for much more weight then the most trailers put then under.
Make sure you have good lube on the ball also. I prefer dish soap but you can use whatever your preference is. This is a really common issue with 5thwheels and it's more of a safety measure then anything.
Many thanks for that tip!
nkdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
With the Fastway E2 you will hear a lot of "popping" noise from the bars during tight turns and backing. I have found that spraying the rub surface with WD40 where the bars sit on the trailer brackets works wonders. I do this every time I hook up. Not enough lubrication to diminish sway control but it sure cuts down on the noise and makes for smoother operation.
Are you using the original style L-pin that rests on the trunnion?

I recently switched to the "upgraded" quick-snap style L-pin. All of that pointless popping is now gone.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1079025
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Here is an old trucker trick... use dish soap. Dawn dish soap works the best. Great lubricant and washes off with no effects to the environment. Put a bit on every time you hook up. I wash off after every use if I can and if it gets on you most if. Not all will come off in the wash and when your done hooking up or unhooking go wash your hands. Yes the dish soap will last for a few hours of use even in the rain. I don't need to cover my ball when not in use. The best part is everything stays clean and looks new after years of use. I carry soap in my storage compartment for washing up after dumping tanks and handling hoses anyway. (Even though I use think rubber gloves I still need to wash my hands for piece of mind.
Genius! I started doing this and prefer it to grease and moly spray. Seems to lubricate just as well between unhooks with the added benefit of easily washing off all of the grime that eventually turns a lubricant into a lapping compound. Easy to wash my hands after application, too. ;-)
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Yeah this is unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence. I have found that if I put the wife in the truck with it in neutral and park brake off ...

500 kms from home and I'm going to put my wife in the drivers seat and get out of the truck? I'd have to review my own behaviour that day.

"Uh, I'll just be out back and...I love you, darlin'..."
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #66

We just traded in our little 2017 145RB BAJA. The truck says I towed it about 12,000 kms over the past 5 years and I never greased the tow ball. The ball was a little worn with dusty rust here and there but nothing that concerned me. We towed down a LOT of dirt and gravel and sometimes very dusty Forest Service Roads. I reasoned that dust would work it's way in and stick to the grease which would be much more abrasive on the tow joint.

I have to admit that I was tempted a few times and now I am revisiting the idea because we just got our new trailer. I saw a Teflon hitch shield sleeve that seemed like a good idea but reviews sucked so I haven't gone that way either. The new trailer is bigger with a lot more weight on the tongue so maybe I have to rethink it.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:33 AM   #67

I started using silver anti-sieze when I still towed by bunkhouse. I did also pack paper towels so that I could clean the ball and socket when disconnecting.

Can I expend this discussion a touch?
How about 5th wheels? Do the 5-ers here lube thier wheel, or use a dry nylon disc?
I'm a newbie, and use a nylon disc. Mentally, I don't care for the mess that will go along with greasing the wheel, but I'm also not an authority.

Just askin'.....Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote