Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Hitch choice....

OK, so currently I have a 1000# Reese round bar hitch with two sway bars. While it works ok it is a real bear to set up every time on my new camper. I need to jack the thing up untill the wheels are all but off the ground to make up the chains. It wasn't so bad on my old unit and I think it has something to do with my bottom coupler. Anyway, I'm looking for something easier to connect and I'm thinking of the Reese Steadi-Flex, the Equalizer or the Blue Ox.

My camper is a 2017 Whitehawk 30RDS. I think the biggest concern I have is what will work best with the bottom coupler. I am really gravitating to the Reese unit but the Blue ox is tempting. However with the bottom coupling of my camper I'm thinking I may have more than the desirable number of chain links exposed and not get the anti sway effect desired. The equalizer seems like a nice setup too but I don't like the metal to metal idea as much as I like the friction pads on the Reese.
Thoughts, opinions, real world experiences are welcome.

Thanks... Ed B.
EFBell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

I have the Equalizer brand 4-point hitch and my trailer has a bottom coupler. It has been working very well for me since 2006.

You said that you have "... two sway bars." You mean two add-on friction devices, correct? AFAIK, the round bars with the chains have NO anti-sway properties no matter how tight your chains are. If you didn't already, you may need to check the entire setup of your hitch if it was just removed from one trailer and then used with the same setup on a different trailer. You may be transferring more weight to your TV front end than you need.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

My bad, yes two friction bars. The hitch was set up to go with the new camper. Front wheel height is good back is about 1-1/2" lower so I don't think it's to terribly out of whack. Ball angle is near straight up.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #4

By saying your trailer has a "bottom coupler" you mean underslung right? My 28BHBE has an underslung coupler and I have the Blue OX WDH made for underslung couplers. It works great and is easy to setup. No dealing with washers for head tilt or anything like that.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
AFAIK, the round bars with the chains have NO anti-sway properties no matter how tight your chains are.

The Blue OX WDH with round bars and chains do provide sway control. Works very well.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
By saying your trailer has a "bottom coupler" you mean underslung right? My 28BHBE has an underslung coupler and I have the Blue OX WDH made for underslung couplers. It works great and is easy to setup. No dealing with washers for head tilt or anything like that.
Yes, it's "underslung" thanks...
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFBell351 View Post
OK, so currently I have a 1000# Reese round bar hitch with two sway bars. While it works ok it is a real bear to set up every time on my new camper. I need to jack the thing up untill the wheels are all but off the ground to make up the chains.

My understanding of WDH is that the tension on spring bars is magic that distributes the weight to front axle and TT. I use Curt True track WDH with 4 point built in anti sway. My initial setup was very easy to pull up the spring bars but not enough weight transfer to front axle. Now I pretty much have to jack it up until my TV is almost off the ground and front ride height is back to stock.
Try it out. Pointless to have WDH and not have it setup to actually distribute the TW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFBell351 View Post
My bad, yes two friction bars. The hitch was set up to go with the new camper. Front wheel height is good back is about 1-1/2" lower so I don't think it's to terribly out of whack. Ball angle is near straight up.
This might be a moot point, but one of my best friends is a retired RV mechanic and is perhaps the most knowledgeable men I have ever met. When he installed my new Reese hitch for me (Reese is his favorite but even he says they are all good) he set mine so there is a 1 inch differential between front and back.
If you go to e-trailer.com, they have some incredible videos on hitch installation. This is where we buy all my parts.
Then, if you really want to blown your mind, go to YouTube and watch some videos on the Pull-rite system.
tomanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

I use a Blue Ox for an underslung coupler and it works great for me.

Easy to set and use and never any trouble backing up with it attached.

Sway control works very well i am very pleased with this setup.

The Equalizer has a huge following and many happy users.

You might want to look at it also.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You can remove the under-slung coupler and go to the overhead coupler on the A-Frame by using a the bolted one. Be sure to use bushing (1/2 pipe) between the channel of the A-Frame. I tested both ways and found the overhead works the best with the standard round bar WDH's as it gives the most clearance. Mine ball height runs at 26 1/2".
An overhead coupler runs about $60. The under-slung coupler is probably welded on and has to be careful grinded off. I have used the round bar WDH system for 50 years and are happy with it (it is the most cost effective) and does the job as it supposed to do.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

good stuff everyone, thanks...
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #12

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I pulled the trigger on the Reese Steadi-Flex. It was a coin toss really in the end. I hope it lives up to the hype. My main goal was for a simpler and easier connection.

Anybody need a round bar pro series? 2 friction bars, 750 # and 1000# bars included... LOL
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #13

May I ask if the Steadi-Flex met your expectations?
mixter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixter7 View Post
May I ask if the Steadi-Flex met your expectations?
I would love to able to answer you; truthfully, I have not takin the rig out yet since I bought it. Now that spring is here I will know soon enough.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
The Blue OX WDH with round bars and chains do provide sway control. Works very well.
How do ya figure? The chains provide no resitance at all. My new 32BHTS with round bars/chains was a handful without my single friction anti sway on it. Granted...I was also in 35 mph winds...but still there was zero anti sway helping me with just my hitch and round bars/chain...set tight.

But I open to learn/listen.

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #16

One word - cough “hensley”
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
How do ya figure? The chains provide no resitance at all. My new 32BHTS with round bars/chains was a handful without my single friction anti sway on it. Granted...I was also in 35 mph winds...but still there was zero anti sway helping me with just my hitch and round bars/chain...set tight.

Greg
I am using the Blue Ox Sway Pro. It's not the chains on the Blue Ox that prevent sway but rather the bars and head working together.

I am towing about 4000 miles/yr., have pulled in 30 mph+ cross winds and I couldn't be happier.

I have used an Equalizer and a Husky Centerline before on my previous TT and although they work fine as well, the Blue Ox has exceeded my expectations and I have to say it works as well or better than the two previous hitches I mentioned. I realize it's not an "apples to apples" comparison but it's all I have. Of course, like any WDH, proper setup is critical. The way it works is as follows : (taken from Blue Ox website)

"As the trailer tries to sway it puts a heavier load on one side of the bars, as this happens the spring bars will pivot on the hitch head and balance each other preventing the trailer from swaying".

There is also a pretty good explanation in the description on the eTrailer website for the hitch as well... https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1000.html

Also a video from Blue Ox that shows it as well.... https://www.etrailer.com/tv-mdemo-blue-ox-swaypro.aspx
Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #18

Hitch choice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post

Greg

What setup do u have now? The Blue Ox does provide anti-sway and it works very well. Blujay40 provides a great description. You shouldv’ve went with the Blue Ox!