Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #1

Hitch locks

What type of hitch locks are people getting for their trailer.
viennafire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 AM   #2

I just bought this one the other dayClick image for larger version

Name:	20201008_164722.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	64495
Old 10-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #3

There's no hitch lock made that will stop a thief. I use a lock, but it could be ground off in 10-seconds easily. I rely on a GPS tracker that's well hidden in my RV, and good insurance.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Another lock, another key on the keyring.... Or, you can use these "Bolt" locks that use your vehicle key:
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (3).png
Views:	24
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	64498

Name:	download (4).png
Views:	18
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	64499

Name:	download (5).png
Views:	16
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	64500

Once I got to 10 keys for Truck, hitch, coupler, RV door, RV compartments, bike locks, etc...: I had, had enough.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

Where did you get this from?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Another lock, another key on the keyring.... Or, you can use these "Bolt" locks that use your vehicle key:
Attachment 64498
Attachment 64499
Attachment 64500

Once I got to 10 keys for Truck, hitch, coupler, RV door, RV compartments, bike locks, etc...: I had, had enough.
Yeah the Bolt locks are great!! I just installed the one for the hood latch on my Jeep JL and it was easy and looks factory. They key easily to your vehicle keys. Although $116 for it on Amazon was a bit pricey IMHO.

Had this for my travel trailer, pretty expensive and think its over kill as no one has ever had theirs stolen from the storage lot. https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...ontent=Branded
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopalgangr View Post
Yeah the Bolt locks are great!! I just installed the one for the hood latch on my Jeep JL and it was easy and looks factory. They key easily to your vehicle keys. Although $116 for it on Amazon was a bit pricey IMHO.

Had this for my travel trailer, pretty expensive and think its over kill as no one has ever had theirs stolen from the storage lot. https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...ontent=Branded

They are a little pricey!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

I went with a Gorilla Hitch lock. I saw in a Youtube video it being fairly easily removed with a long and heavy crowbar. My thoughts, most people who want to steal my TT, probably will not have a crowbar that big. But their is a larger likely hood they would have a cordless drill. With the lock set under the TT, it will be harder for them to align the drill and make a proper cut. Not to mention that I keep my nose of my trailer all the way down (due to driveway slope), so getting a drill under there is nearly impossible.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cou...xoCRc0QAvD_BwE

I watched a number of videos, most of the hitch locks have some easy method to bypass them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #9

They can all be easily bypassed. I use a cheap master lock on all our trailers. If someone wants it they will get it. Just about any type of lock will keep most honest people from taking your stuff.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
They can all be easily bypassed. I use a cheap master lock on all our trailers. If someone wants it they will get it. Just about any type of lock will keep most honest people from taking your stuff.
I was thinking the same thing, if someone wants it they will try anything to get it
Old 10-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

I also use the "Bolt" brand of locks for a variety of things. Hitch lock, toolbox in the back of the truck, cable lock, hitch pin locks and a padlock. It sure is nice only having one key for all of them and the same key I use to start the truck with and not even 1 extra key, So far they have held up fine. I don't think they are any better or any worse than most out there. As several have said a determined thief isn't going to be stopped easily. I see them as just a bit off added insurance to keep someone from just walking off with it.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #12

I use the MasterLock. No particular reason, that's just the one I chose.

It's true, if they want it they will get it. But mine is stored in a locked shop when it's not traveling so they'll have multiple levels of security to get through before they get to actually hooking up.

On the road it amazes me that people have $15-$70K trailers parked in a campground, leave for the day, and anyone could literally drive in and hook up and they do nothing about it. At least the MasterLock would make it obvious what you are up to if you're trying to pry/cut the thing off.
spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #13

I used this, it’s rock solid

https://megahitchlock.com/

I installed a propride hitch, would be very difficult To hookup to unless the thief’s already have the tow vehicle stinger
Old 10-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #14

Blaylock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TXN14IW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nT7HFb7H7JEVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennafire21 View Post
What type of hitch locks are people getting for their trailer.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:18 AM   #15

Lock up the chains tight.... I read where they simply hook them together, throw it over there hitch ball and take off. No hitch needed.

Another thing.... I keep the power turned off to my jack when in storage.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #16

The actual locking mechanism that these folks tend to use can be picked without any effort. 4 lbs of iron and steel, with military grade welds, and patented design all held together by a Chinese $0.12 lock mechanism. It's a shame.

I would recommend staying really cheap on these devices. The only utility is to ward off the casual thief ... the thief looking for the first easy score. And, that is usually accomplished with even the cheap stuff. The dedicated thief with specific targets and time to work will quickly get through these devices. Either the shroud is flawed or the lock is flawed, but there is *always* a simple flaw in these things that render the $350 device worth no more than the $10 lock from Home Depot.

Take a peek at the Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube. That will give you a sense for how well designed the actual locks are for these things. It's shockingly awful. The difference between a Master Lock (which anyone can learn to pick in about 10 minutes on your couch during commercial breaks of your favorite show) and bona fide lock that takes skill to defeat isn't that much, but companies can't be bothered to invest even $0.25 in better mechanisms.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Lock up the chains tight.... I read where they simply hook them together, throw it over there hitch ball and take off. No hitch needed.

Another thing.... I keep the power turned off to my jack when in storage.
This^^^^ And I burn the threaded stud section off an old ball, put it In the coupler and lock it.
Oldmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #18

Can't go wrong with constantine wire around a secured travel trailer...

Can't go wrong with Constantine wire around a secured travel trailer...
Beats any lock... LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmanx View Post
This^^^^ And I burn the threaded stud section off an old ball, put it In the coupler and lock it.
Attached Images

Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #19
Wsw

Any lock is fine. I use the master locks which slide up into the ball. Had someone beat one all to pieces once. Still never got it out. Obviously did not look it up online as to how to remove it.

Had a hitch lock once someone just ground lock part off and took hitch with them. It was a nice hitch. Did more damage to truck with the grinder. Should have just let them have hitch if they wanted it that bad.

I really just want him to move to the next one over. Like having dogs and cameras at home. Make it easier and quieter to go to another house.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #20

I use the Reese Store and Tow kit. It's fantastic, I can lock up the coupler when I store it or when it's at the camp ground and also lock the coupler when it's being towed with the hitch locked up tight.
Attached Thumbnails
71iMw7SXcxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
KeizerTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote