Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I look at mine, and the steel 4x4 bumper looks sturdy enough .
The problem is that the 4X4 bumper is just spot welded in a few places and that's where it will (or could) fail. If you do this, I suggest wrapping a steel cable around the bumper, bikes, bike rack AND FRAME so that if it comes off, it will stay with the trailer and not go into the grill of the vehicle behind you

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene20 View Post
What about the bike rack mounted to your ladder? Is that safe?
Personally, I think this is worse than on the bumper. There's a lot of stress from bikes bouncing around back there. The ladder is not made for that kind of "action". I know they sell them but I would not do dat....just me and my opinion, so you know what that's worth .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
Site Team

The weak spot is not the danger of buckling but the welds tearing off the thin metal from all the bouncing that goes on at the back.

Do some reading on forums and hear some of the bad stories of those who did not know.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #14

Is it safe to weld on the bumper attach points? Is there any danger of hurting the electronics?
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #15

I paid the extra to get the factory to install a real hitch when I ordered my fifth. Curt and others sell aftermarkets. They are bolt on, so are limited to 3,000 lbs - but that is really the only safe way to carry a couple of bikes!

That said - also use GREAT care when selecting a bike rack. Virtually ALL manufacturers explicitly state that their racks are not for trailer use, and will not honor any warranty if used on a trailer. Same issue - they just aren't built to withstand the constant up and down pounding. And of the couple that do, only one or two of their models are so rated! The two I know of: https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html and Find the Perfect Rack for your Ride - Swagman

The distance from your car/trucks rear axle to the center of mass of the bikes on a rack is far less than the same on a trailer. Hence much more magnified up and down movement. That hundred lbs of weight is doing a lot of serious banging around while you're on the road!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #16

I have the Swagman 2 bike rack that slides into the hitch. I've had it for 2 years now mounted on my current 5er and my previous TT. I've had no issues with it while traveling. Now that my kiddos are getting bigger and we purchased a 5er, I can no longer put their bikes in the truck bed, so I will be looking for a Swagman 4 bike rack.
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have the Swagman 2 bike rack that slides into the hitch. I've had it for 2 years now mounted on my current 5er and my previous TT. I've had no issues with it while traveling. Now that my kiddos are getting bigger and we purchased a 5er, I can no longer put their bikes in the truck bed, so I will be looking for a Swagman 4 bike rack.
I had the same problem. I just purchased a second Swagman RV 2 bike rack, purchased a longer piece of 2" square tubing, and mounted both racks on the one piece of tubing. The receiver on the trailer is welded to the frame of the trailer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #18

[QUOTE=tslarson;382060]I had the same problem. I just purchased a second Swagman RV 2 bike rack, purchased a longer piece of 2" square tubing, and mounted both racks on the one piece of tubing. The receiver on the trailer is welded to the frame of the trailer.

I'm liking this mod!! It would save me money by just buying another 2 bike rack. Anymore details on how you completed would be much appreciated!
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #19

FYI -- When I went through this I called Swagman, this was 3 years ago, and at that time they were very clear the only 4 bike rack solutions they had tested and approved for TT/5er use were frame hanging style.
clubhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #20

How about a tongue mounted bike rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I'm planning to install this on my jayco swift SLX 154BH bumper. The trailer a 4x4 bumper.

Robot Check

However, I have read on the review that some RV bumper may not hold up to hold bike rack.

Is that really true ?

I look at mine, and the steel 4x4 bumper looks sturdy enough .
At the most the weight of the bike and the rack is 100 pounds. I just can't imagine steel 4x4 bumper will buckle for that kind of weight.

has anyone install the same hitch receiver on a steel 4x4 bumper and use it for bike rack without any issue ?
Don't Do It! Years ago(1980's), I had a rear bumper bike rack that held 4 bicycles until metal fatigue caused the bumper to twist and collapse on the interstate over in Florida. It cost me about $4K in new mountain Bikes and a new bumper for my JayRaven. More importantly, I lost my stinky slinky and had to find a new one before we could finish the trip.

I built a simple bike rack out of an old wooden pallet to keep the bikes erect in the back of my truck and simply lash them down with ratcheting straps. (You lose a lot of space doing this.)

When I was searching for a new bike rack for my 2014 287BHBE, I ran across receiver units at e-trailer that mount on the front of the TV, but the sturdiest one that I saw was a tongue mounted receiver and rack assembly. It cleared the gas bottles and held the bikes higher than the tailgate of the TV. I would have bought it, but it was rather pricey for my budget. (Sure would have been less expensive than replacing those 4, $1,100 bikes!)

If you don't have room for the tongue mounted type, at least consider attaching a cross brace under the TT and only use the rear bumper as a third point of connection to hold the receiver. That should minimize any twisting from the vibration while in transit.

Good Luck!

Swampy

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote