Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

hitch receiver mount and bumper strength

I'm planning to install this on my jayco swift SLX 154BH bumper. The trailer a 4x4 bumper.

Robot Check

However, I have read on the review that some RV bumper may not hold up to hold bike rack.

Is that really true ?

I look at mine, and the steel 4x4 bumper looks sturdy enough .
At the most the weight of the bike and the rack is 100 pounds. I just can't imagine steel 4x4 bumper will buckle for that kind of weight.

has anyone install the same hitch receiver on a steel 4x4 bumper and use it for bike rack without any issue ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Dozens of discussions about this both here and every RV forum. The general opinion is don't do it. There are lots of pictures out there of detached bumpers and dragging bikes. That said some people go ahead and do it, several don't have any issues. I camp with a guy who has used it to haul two bikes for 2 years without issue. Personally I went ahead and had a proper receiver welded on for ~$200.

You manual likely says the bumper is rated for 100lbs. The problem with a bike rack it becomes a lever and creates dynamic forces far in excess of 100lbs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #3

My advice also would be to have have a hitch welded to the frame. With that said, I had a bumper mounted hitch for several years with no problems. Selecting the correct components is a way to better assure success. Use this bracket, not the one you linked to.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/E-100.html Curt RV bracket.
Next, mount the bracket off center, this reduces the twisting/lever action on the bumper a bit. I mounted mine a bit to the left side, this also lets you see the bike tires stick out a bit so you can see in your mirror if the bikes are still there.
And last make sure you use the right bike rack, only use this one.
http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-a...an/S64663.html

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
My advice also would be to have have a hitch welded to the frame. With that said, I had a bumper mounted hitch for several years with no problems. Selecting the correct components is a way to better assure success. Use this bracket, not the one you linked to.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/E-100.html Curt RV bracket.
Next, mount the bracket off center, this reduces the twisting/lever action on the bumper a bit. I mounted mine a bit to the left side, this also lets you see the bike tires stick out a bit so you can see in your mirror if the bikes are still there.
And last make sure you use the right bike rack, only use this one.
http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-a...an/S64663.html
Is the idea of using curt RV bracket the twisting force is applied to larger bumper surface area due to the use of 2 vertical square plates ?
If that is the case, would it better to use this one that way the force is applied to 2 horizontal plates ?

Robot Check
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Is the idea of using curt RV bracket the twisting force is applied to larger bumper surface area due to the use of 2 vertical square plates ?
If that is the case, would it better to use this one that way the force is applied to 2 horizontal plates ?

Robot Check
I have tried the one in your link, The Curt brand had less flex. I don't think it matters if it clamps around the vertical or horizontal part of the bumper. The one piece Curt one has less flex and a wider "footprint" on the bumper.

7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #6

Don't do it. I know on some JayFlights there is an option for a hitch that mounts to the frame. We have one on our trailer and took it down to Florida with only 2 bikes on it. Got to Florida and realized that one of the bike handlebars had struck the camper aluminum 3 times, causing minor dents. The handlebar had to move over 15" to hit the trailer... which it did on at least 3 occasions. Moving 15" back, then slamming back down must cause a LOT of force... and I am sure it would have ripped my bumper off if it had been attached to the bumper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Don't. I did it for exactly half of my trip last summer. The vibration tore the bumper as we were entering Yellowstone and it dragged for a mile or so until it was discovered. Metal fatigue is the best description. After returning home we welded on new receivers directly to the frame and fixed the bumper. Luckily the bumper stayed attached by a thread and a prayer so we didn't kill someone.

Take a good look at how your bumper is connected to your trailer. It's not on by much.

And I never tell this story without again thanking the two US Marines who stopped on their motorcycles to help me get our gear secured.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #8

I watched a trailer loose 2 bikes, the bike rack as well as the entire bumper on the highway a while back The driver had no idea. but after the big rig behind him drove over his setup and blew a tire it snarled traffic up quiet well.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

What about the bike rack mounted to your ladder? Is that safe?
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Found this :
https://www.mount-n-lock.com/
The safety struts looks to be the answer to my problem.
However it does not reinforce the entire length of the bumer from left to right.
What if the tear happens in and around the hitch receiver that is away from where the struts are ?
I'm asking the following q to the manufacturer:
"I'm intesrested in your safety strut.
But I have some doubt about how it works. Can you please help me ?
It looks like the struts only reinforce the area where the bumper meets the frame. However, if I put the hitch receiver (bike carrier) in the middle of the bumper, how does the struts prevent the twisting the middle section of the bumper ?
The bumper may still be attached to the frame, but the middle section of the bumper maybe twisted, ripped, or may not be hollow square anymore (hollow circle maybe )? "
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
The problem is that the 4X4 bumper is just spot welded in a few places and that's where it will (or could) fail. If you do this, I suggest wrapping a steel cable around the bumper, bikes, bike rack AND FRAME so that if it comes off, it will stay with the trailer and not go into the grill of the vehicle behind you

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene20 View Post
What about the bike rack mounted to your ladder? Is that safe?
Personally, I think this is worse than on the bumper. There's a lot of stress from bikes bouncing around back there. The ladder is not made for that kind of "action". I know they sell them but I would not do dat....just me and my opinion, so you know what that's worth .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Site Team

The weak spot is not the danger of buckling but the welds tearing off the thin metal from all the bouncing that goes on at the back.

Do some reading on forums and hear some of the bad stories of those who did not know.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #14

Is it safe to weld on the bumper attach points? Is there any danger of hurting the electronics?
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #15

I paid the extra to get the factory to install a real hitch when I ordered my fifth. Curt and others sell aftermarkets. They are bolt on, so are limited to 3,000 lbs - but that is really the only safe way to carry a couple of bikes!

That said - also use GREAT care when selecting a bike rack. Virtually ALL manufacturers explicitly state that their racks are not for trailer use, and will not honor any warranty if used on a trailer. Same issue - they just aren't built to withstand the constant up and down pounding. And of the couple that do, only one or two of their models are so rated! The two I know of: https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html and Find the Perfect Rack for your Ride - Swagman

The distance from your car/trucks rear axle to the center of mass of the bikes on a rack is far less than the same on a trailer. Hence much more magnified up and down movement. That hundred lbs of weight is doing a lot of serious banging around while you're on the road!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #16

I have the Swagman 2 bike rack that slides into the hitch. I've had it for 2 years now mounted on my current 5er and my previous TT. I've had no issues with it while traveling. Now that my kiddos are getting bigger and we purchased a 5er, I can no longer put their bikes in the truck bed, so I will be looking for a Swagman 4 bike rack.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have the Swagman 2 bike rack that slides into the hitch. I've had it for 2 years now mounted on my current 5er and my previous TT. I've had no issues with it while traveling. Now that my kiddos are getting bigger and we purchased a 5er, I can no longer put their bikes in the truck bed, so I will be looking for a Swagman 4 bike rack.
I had the same problem. I just purchased a second Swagman RV 2 bike rack, purchased a longer piece of 2" square tubing, and mounted both racks on the one piece of tubing. The receiver on the trailer is welded to the frame of the trailer.

7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #18

[QUOTE=tslarson;382060]I had the same problem. I just purchased a second Swagman RV 2 bike rack, purchased a longer piece of 2" square tubing, and mounted both racks on the one piece of tubing. The receiver on the trailer is welded to the frame of the trailer.

I'm liking this mod!! It would save me money by just buying another 2 bike rack. Anymore details on how you completed would be much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

FYI -- When I went through this I called Swagman, this was 3 years ago, and at that time they were very clear the only 4 bike rack solutions they had tested and approved for TT/5er use were frame hanging style.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

How about a tongue mounted bike rack?

Quote:
I'm planning to install this on my jayco swift SLX 154BH bumper. The trailer a 4x4 bumper.

Robot Check

However, I have read on the review that some RV bumper may not hold up to hold bike rack.

Is that really true ?

At the most the weight of the bike and the rack is 100 pounds. I just can't imagine steel 4x4 bumper will buckle for that kind of weight.

has anyone install the same hitch receiver on a steel 4x4 bumper and use it for bike rack without any issue ?
Don't Do It! Years ago(1980's), I had a rear bumper bike rack that held 4 bicycles until metal fatigue caused the bumper to twist and collapse on the interstate over in Florida. It cost me about $4K in new mountain Bikes and a new bumper for my JayRaven. More importantly, I lost my stinky slinky and had to find a new one before we could finish the trip.

I built a simple bike rack out of an old wooden pallet to keep the bikes erect in the back of my truck and simply lash them down with ratcheting straps. (You lose a lot of space doing this.)

When I was searching for a new bike rack for my 2014 287BHBE, I ran across receiver units at e-trailer that mount on the front of the TV, but the sturdiest one that I saw was a tongue mounted receiver and rack assembly. It cleared the gas bottles and held the bikes higher than the tailgate of the TV. I would have bought it, but it was rather pricey for my budget. (Sure would have been less expensive than replacing those 4, $1,100 bikes!)

If you don't have room for the tongue mounted type, at least consider attaching a cross brace under the TT and only use the rear bumper as a third point of connection to hold the receiver. That should minimize any twisting from the vibration while in transit.

Good Luck!

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote