Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Hitch Set Up

Hello friends, we purchased a new 2017 267 BHSW this spring and have towed it with our 2016 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost a couple of times and noticed a "darting" motion with the truck when I get above 65 MPH on the interstate. It doesn't seem to sway but just a sudden push to one side or the other at times. I also experienced one occasion while crossing a bridge, that dipped slightly, where I ended up in the other lane. I don't have a lot of miles towing it so I'm sure inexperience has lot to do with it. Just wondering if this seems normal or should I have the hitch set up checked? It was set up by our dealer.

Buzzbait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

That is very abnormal. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkstehn View Post
That is very abnormal. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
^This, that is not normal for towing at all!

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Brake controller setup?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Sounds like not enough weight on front axle.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Buzzbait3,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbait3 View Post
snip..... It was set up by our dealer.
"If" the RV dealership sized/adjusted your WDH properly, at best it was under "unloaded" TV/TT conditions. Depending on one's loading habits most WDH's have to be re-adjusted correctly under "loaded" conditions.

I would recommended that you take your TV/TT under loaded conditions to a CAT scale...., the information from the CAT scale will not only confirm where your weights fall with specified limits, but will also confirm that a properly rated WDH/sway control was installed, proper WDH adjustment, and adequate weight distribution.

The following JOF link will explain what to look for during a CAT scale weigh-in. CAT Scale 'how to': https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

The CAT scale visit will greatly reduce the guesswork on addressing your present towing issues. Having a friend join you at the CAT scale that is familiar with WDH's and/or towing TT's may be helpful. Also, having the installation/adjustment documentation for your particular WDH would be good to have on hand.

Also, please note that the OEM tires that come with most TT's, HTT's, etc., are rated for 65 mph maximum.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

What are you using for a hitch setup. Any WDH, or sway control?

First though, is your load is out of balance, should try to have 10 to 15 percent tongue weight, ideally 13 to 15 percent.

A visit to a cat scale could be very informative.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

The dealer set up a Reese WDH and sway bar and my truck has the integrated brake controller. The dealer the bars on the hitch up with four chain links hanging. I also have to use a block under the trailer jack in order to get the coupler high enough to get it on the hitch, that is also a concern. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and go through the set up with measurements. Thanks for the replies.
Buzzbait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #9

Buzz,

As mentioned, definitely go over the wdh set up yourself!!! Start from scratch including setting the ball height if needed.

Also what tire pressure are you running in both the truck and tt? Truck the rears should be at max cold sidewall pressure, fronts I would suggest starting with the door jamb suggested pressure and slowly going up from there (if needed) until you find a good handling set up.

As for having "X" number of chain links hanging..... some hitches have a different number of total chain links, so it's easier for us to help by stating the number of chain links "under tension" (between the wd bar and snap up bracket- including the link "hooked" on the bracket").

Do you have a round bar or trunnion bar wdh?

Regardless by the block under the jack to hitch up, if the trailer sits a little higher and you have a short jack (height wise), that is a pretty normal situation. Some jacks have lift higher due to having a longer travel length.

Good luck and ask any and all questions!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

We have the same trailer (our first) and it skittered a bit when towing it with a RAM 1500 5.7. The truck towed 8000 lbs and the trailer weighted 5400, so no problem, right?
After loading up the trailer and truck I felt we were close to the weight limits or slightly over. I now tow it with a 2500 and it doesn't budge.
I'm not suggesting a TV upgrade, but you may be bumping up against the weight totals.
I think the F150 tows a bit more, but I'd suggest the scales as others have, otherwise we're all just guessing.

deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote