Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

Hitch Set Up

Hello friends, we purchased a new 2017 267 BHSW this spring and have towed it with our 2016 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost a couple of times and noticed a "darting" motion with the truck when I get above 65 MPH on the interstate. It doesn't seem to sway but just a sudden push to one side or the other at times. I also experienced one occasion while crossing a bridge, that dipped slightly, where I ended up in the other lane. I don't have a lot of miles towing it so I'm sure inexperience has lot to do with it. Just wondering if this seems normal or should I have the hitch set up checked? It was set up by our dealer.
Buzzbait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

That is very abnormal. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkstehn View Post
That is very abnormal. Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
^This, that is not normal for towing at all!

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

Brake controller setup?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #5

Sounds like not enough weight on front axle.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Buzzbait3,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbait3 View Post
snip..... It was set up by our dealer.
"If" the RV dealership sized/adjusted your WDH properly, at best it was under "unloaded" TV/TT conditions. Depending on one's loading habits most WDH's have to be re-adjusted correctly under "loaded" conditions.

I would recommended that you take your TV/TT under loaded conditions to a CAT scale...., the information from the CAT scale will not only confirm where your weights fall with specified limits, but will also confirm that a properly rated WDH/sway control was installed, proper WDH adjustment, and adequate weight distribution.

The following JOF link will explain what to look for during a CAT scale weigh-in. CAT Scale 'how to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

The CAT scale visit will greatly reduce the guesswork on addressing your present towing issues. Having a friend join you at the CAT scale that is familiar with WDH's and/or towing TT's may be helpful. Also, having the installation/adjustment documentation for your particular WDH would be good to have on hand.

Also, please note that the OEM tires that come with most TT's, HTT's, etc., are rated for 65 mph maximum.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

What are you using for a hitch setup. Any WDH, or sway control?

First though, is your load is out of balance, should try to have 10 to 15 percent tongue weight, ideally 13 to 15 percent.

A visit to a cat scale could be very informative.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #8

The dealer set up a Reese WDH and sway bar and my truck has the integrated brake controller. The dealer the bars on the hitch up with four chain links hanging. I also have to use a block under the trailer jack in order to get the coupler high enough to get it on the hitch, that is also a concern. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and go through the set up with measurements. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Buzz,

As mentioned, definitely go over the wdh set up yourself!!! Start from scratch including setting the ball height if needed.

Also what tire pressure are you running in both the truck and tt? Truck the rears should be at max cold sidewall pressure, fronts I would suggest starting with the door jamb suggested pressure and slowly going up from there (if needed) until you find a good handling set up.

As for having "X" number of chain links hanging..... some hitches have a different number of total chain links, so it's easier for us to help by stating the number of chain links "under tension" (between the wd bar and snap up bracket- including the link "hooked" on the bracket").

Do you have a round bar or trunnion bar wdh?

Regardless by the block under the jack to hitch up, if the trailer sits a little higher and you have a short jack (height wise), that is a pretty normal situation. Some jacks have lift higher due to having a longer travel length.

Good luck and ask any and all questions!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

We have the same trailer (our first) and it skittered a bit when towing it with a RAM 1500 5.7. The truck towed 8000 lbs and the trailer weighted 5400, so no problem, right?
After loading up the trailer and truck I felt we were close to the weight limits or slightly over. I now tow it with a 2500 and it doesn't budge.
I'm not suggesting a TV upgrade, but you may be bumping up against the weight totals.
I think the F150 tows a bit more, but I'd suggest the scales as others have, otherwise we're all just guessing.
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

You've gotten a lot of good advice already. I would recommend following it in this order: Obtain instructions for your WDH; take baseline measurements of where your truck and trailer are with the current setup (use measurements frame-to-ground on the trailer); find a level piece of concrete somewhere and set it up from scratch per the instructions, step by step, using fender measurements on the truck (truck and trailer loaded as for travel would be ideal); this will get you pretty darn close, but take your setup to CAT scale (process linked above in Bob's (Rustic Eagle) post) and fine tune as necessary.

I will tell you that in my experience dealers cannot properly set up weight distribution hitches. I've read SEVERAL accounts of this and experienced it myself. It's not just that they're setting up an empty trailer and it's not adjusted right, many of them don't do it right AT ALL. My tech installed one of the brackets upside down, so the spring bar was MUCH harder to install on that side (under A LOT more tension) on that side. I questioned him about it during PDI and his response was "it's set up that way because the slide side is so much heavier". HOOEY!! I knew he was lying his bacon off, but I also knew I was going to change it all as soon as I got home anyway.

Point is, DO NOT trust the dealer to have set up that hitch correctly.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #12

While looking at the rig hooked up does it sit level? That would be a tell tale right away I would think.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #13

Today I checked my hitch set up. I originally thought our hitch was a Reese, but in fact, it is a Husky brand. I measured the height of the coupler with the camper level and compared it to the height of the ball on the truck and the ball was exactly 3" higher. I also measure the height of the front wheel well without the camper hitched. It was 37 1/2" and compared it to the height with the camper attached without any wd bars. It measures 38". With the WDH installed, the height was 37 3/4. That seems correct. I adjusted the hangers for the wd bars. They were loose and not lined up vertically. I have not had a chance to make it to a CAT scale but will as time allows.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

The truck and camper both look level. I took measurements today. The difference in the height of the front fender well is 1/4" between having the we bars on or off.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #15

If you are level you are good 👍
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #16

The ball being 3" higher doesn't seem right. The Sway Pro was the only hitch I've seen that recommends the ball be higher than the coupler when trailer leveled, and that was only 1".

You want the trailer to be level or slightly nose down (less than an inch) when everything is hitched up and attached. If your trailer is tongue high when hitched up, that could definitely cause sway problems.

Also, IIRC, the Ford weight distribution spec is to return half the weight lost to the front axle. GM and Ram are to return 100%. The 1/2 weight for Ford roughly translates to half the distance using fender measurements. If you're towing with a Ford, your fender measurements look good, but if your trailer is not level or slightly nose down, even with the fender measurements, you will want to lower the ball until the trailer sits level when hitched and WDH engaged. If you're towing with a GM or Ram, you want to transfer more weight to get that front fender back to 37-1/2".

Looks like you might be pretty close to a good setup.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #17

Thanks for all the great advice. One thing I noticed that I forgot to include was the wd bars were not level with the tongue of the trailer. They run uphill towards the trailer when attached. Should these be level? After looking at the pictures, the trailer does look nose high when hitched. You may be on to something, Bob!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbait3 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. One thing I noticed that I forgot to include was the wd bars were not level with the tongue of the trailer. They run uphill towards the trailer when attached. Should these be level? After looking at the pictures, the trailer does look nose high when hitched. You may be on to something, Bob!
You generally want the bars to be as close to parallel with the frame as possible. I could never get mine quite right when I used a WDH with integrated friction sway control (Fastway E2).

I don't know exactly what hitch you have, but for the ones that use friction as integrated sway control (like the Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2 and others), the bars being parallel offers the most amount of friction between the spring bar and its hanger. If the bars don't lay flat against the hangers, your sway control will be slightly diminished.

Further complicating this is that the instructions will tell you for small adjustments, you can raise or lower the spring bar hangers instead of changing the tilt of the hitch head. There may be enough "slop" in the hangers to keep the bar flat against them, but if you have them perfectly mated, and you raise or lower the spring bar perch, you will no longer have a flat-to-flat, perfect mating of the 2 surfaces. That's getting a bit nit-picky, I know...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
If you are level you are good 👍
This guy really lives up to his name!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #20

These are all good suggestions. I have one more thing to add. I have a Blue Ox sway pro so different hitch than you but I did get the feeling of sway. It never shot me into other traffic lanes but I definitely felt it and I did not like that feeling. Under the suggestions from other members on here, I aired my tires on my tv up, 44 rear 40 front. I have p rated tires and the sidewalls are 'soft' and it made the feeling of sway. If you have p rated tires, try airing them up. It could help. After my trip to the scales, dialing in my hitch and airing the tires, I am pretty solid now. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk