Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #41

Heard back from Jayco support who said I might have a bad coupler that will need to be cut off and a replacement welded back in place as a warranty repair. Wow, a bit more drastic a fix than I was expecting and not something I would do lightly, especially this time of year. I'm not sure where to go from here other than to try some of the remedies suggestedhere.
BCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #42

If the replacement coupler is on hand...

1-1.5 hours of grinding off the old welds and general preparation.

20 minutes of actual 'hood down' time to secure the new coupler.

Most of a day for primer & paint.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #43

Might be the problem. I'd take it in to a dealer and let them confirm it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Might be the problem. I'd take it in to a dealer and let them confirm it.
Easy enough to test:

Take a correct sized ball (not attached to anything) and lock it in the hitch.

Open the hitch. If it opens smoothly and the ball falls out the hitch is fine.

After that? It is all alignment issues.

And proud of it!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
Heard back from Jayco support who said I might have a bad coupler that will need to be cut off and a replacement welded back in place as a warranty repair. Wow, a bit more drastic a fix than I was expecting and not something I would do lightly, especially this time of year. I'm not sure where to go from here other than to try some of the remedies suggestedhere.
I would suspect that if they are saying that, Jayco knows yours is not the only receiver with this problem. If they are willing to make that 'drastic' fix, you can probably decide when to take it in. As long as unhitching is an annoying problem, but not impossible, maybe you can arrange for that repair done when it won't interfere with your camping plans for this season.

Like TWP723 said, the next step would be to take it to a dealer and have them confirm it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #46

Spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership this morning about this issue and he says he sees it all the time with Jayco units. In fact, he had one this morning that was very difficult to release so .... as we are heading out on some trips and have little time to visit the shop right now, I will clean up the coupler to ensure there are no rough spots or whatever and work it from there then see the Service guys when we get back for a more permanent fix.

As this issue seems so common (even the dealers see it) it should be something that Jayco corporate should be looking at fixing for future builds.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
Spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership this morning about this issue and he says he sees it all the time with Jayco units. In fact, he had one this morning that was very difficult to release so .... as we are heading out on some trips and have little time to visit the shop right now, I will clean up the coupler to ensure there are no rough spots or whatever and work it from there then see the Service guys when we get back for a more permanent fix.

As this issue seems so common (even the dealers see it) it should be something that Jayco corporate should be looking at fixing for future builds.
Knowing how the 2" and 1 7/8 couplers are built, it could be that a misshapen stamped part could be the culprit. Also, there are some heavy-duty springs that can be adjusted.

I think I'll crawl under the hitch on my TT tonight and see how the 2 5/16" coupler compares to the smaller cousins.

And proud of it!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #48

I would NOT have the old hitch burned off and a new one put on...if the dealership screws it up there could be problems

my hitch comes off the ball easily sometimes, other times it doesn't...I would bet its just alignment issues caused by a bad design, if the new coupler they put on is the same design, your gonna have the same issues
Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Easy enough to test:

this!!!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Easy enough to test:

I don't think this will confirm the problem. If the ball socket is slightly undersize, only forward motion on the ball by the TV will set the ball in the socket. Not simply hitching/unhitching a loose ball.

Jayco should determine if their coupler supplier is making parts to correct specs and correct as necessary.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
my hitch comes off the ball easily sometimes, other times it doesn't...I would bet its just alignment issues caused by a bad design, if the new coupler they put on is the same design, your gonna have the same issues
Ummm. Uhhh?

If it is a bad design, it won't work or fail in service.

If parts are misaligned, the system has to be adjusted to restore alignment.

Many pieces have to line up (within some fairly wide tolerances) in order to couple and uncouple a ball hitch system.

I put 2" ball couplers on my wheeled gensets, cement mixer and compressor to allow me to move them about with a compact tractor that has a 2" receiver welded to the front end loader bucket.

So I hitch and unhitch these things quite a bit. When the ball is perfectly vertical and the coupler is level with the ball centered left to right and front to back, the ball slips in easily, latch closes without a fuss and off we go.

When the ball is tipped (trying to get under the coupler) it won't go in or catches on the lock.

Trying to unhitch when there is a fore or aft load; forget it! Relieve the pressure and try again.

---------------

Now it is genuinely possible that there is a ding, dent, rough spot or misshapen part inside this particular sample that is causing poor operation.

The test I recommended above will clearly show it. If the ball goes into the socket smoothly and easily (no binding, grabbing or having to press it in). And it simply falls out when the latch is opened (and the latch operates smoothly). The coupler is not the problem.

That is a whole lot of IF's!

And proud of it!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #52

How is it possible to hitch up easily...I have NO issues getting the coupler to drop onto the ball and latch...every time slides right on with no hang up

its only when I unhook that there is a problem
Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #53

No problems hitching. Unhitching used to be a pain until I figured it out years ago.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #54

Quote:
How is it possible to hitch up easily...I have NO issues getting the coupler to drop onto the ball and latch...every time slides right on with no hang up

I've found that fore-aft tension is often a problem. Followed by twisted tow.

After leveling the trailer left-to right (has to stay hitched to pull onto leveling boards). Chock the wheels. Double check chock the wheels.

Then start the uncouple process: Electrical umbilical, breakaway lanyard, safety chains. Then the latch. If it won't move easily, I put SWMBO in the cab of the truck and have her (no pressure on the gas) move the transmission into R and then D and back (taking foot off the brake after each gear change). Put truck in P engine running. (Oops reconnect the electrics to run the jack)

That bit of 1" or less shuffling will allow the latch to open. Then lift the trailer's tongue with the jack. Generally the trailer's weight will come off the truck (3"-4" of sag) and then the ball is fully exposed. If need be, re-shuffle after the trailer starts lifting the truck. Disconnect electric umbilical. Double check no connections between the truck and trailer. Wave her forward several feet and shut down the truck.

Easy!

It is possible that the trailer has been leveled left-to right and the truck is significantly out of level. This would cause binding. But does not account for the system going back together easily.

And proud of it!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #55

Quote:

Exactly! Same here. I have no issues whatsoever hitching up but getting the ball out of the coupler is ALWAYS a pain.

We're heading out next week so we'll see how it goes. Some good ideas here that I'll try and if that doesn't work out I'll go see the dealer.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #56

I noticed last night that my coupler lever was stuck, had to smack it with a rubber mallet, not too hard,,so I wd40'd the crap out of it and now its nice smooth and easy to open...this might have had something to do with it, maybe it was opening 1/16 less than it should have been...

so keep that coupler lever lubricated, and probably keep it down (hitched pos) when in storage?

Also, I need to be more anal in side to side leveling...in my driveway I don't always pull it onto boards to keep it level side to side, gonna have to do this as well to minimize any potential binding
Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #57

Quote:
I noticed last night that my coupler lever was stuck, had to smack it with a rubber mallet, not too hard,,so I wd40'd the crap out of it and now its nice smooth and easy to open...this might have had something to do with it, maybe it was opening 1/16 less than it should have been...

so keep that coupler lever lubricated, and probably keep it down (hitched pos) when in storage?
Did I mention something about Smooth Operation?
[Darn it Sade and your ear worms]

And proud of it!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #58

Quote:

the tension of towing is causing the ball to fully set into a slightly smaller socket. it is what is called an "interference fit". This condition would be caused by either a ball that is slightly oversize (due to mfg tolerances), or the socket slightly undersize (due to mfg tolerances, or poor quality control).

find out where the ball is rubbing in the socket, then file off that spot. You could probably take some material off the bottom of the ball at the front end without any issues.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #59

Quote:
I would NOT have the old hitch burned off and a new one put on...if the dealership screws it up there could be problems

I probably wouldn't capitalize "not" for warranty work, but I completely agree that I'd explore all other possibilities before going to a cut/replace solution.

The manufacturing companies I'm familiar with use jigs for assembling/welding the same critical structural parts day after day. That assures a consistent product. I'd bet money that the trailer frame providers use a similar method. If a dealer chops off the coupler and replaces it my guess is that they will not have a jig, but will rely upon custom fit and measurement. That can be an effective method, when it is done correctly by a meticulous mechanic.

I have no data on this, but another issue is that it seems to me that production welds and protective coatings resist corrosion better than subsequent repair welds.

If the uncoupling problem is related to manufacturing tolerance issues on the existing OEM coupler then replacement may be the only real solution.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #60

Leave your truck in neutral if you are level it will help
Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote