Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Rustic Eagle: Don't know where you get your information from but would you should do a bit more researching on the subject.

lukenick1: Yes, you can mount a coupler on top bolted on. The old one the weld has to be grinded off in order to remove the old coupler.
When mounting the coupler on top they install between the frame bushings where the long bolts go through (otherwise the frame get squeezed). Mounting a coupler on top with bolts doesn't change the integrity of the system. Hence on the Jay Feather Ultra Frames they where all bolted on with 4 bolts. On the NXG frame for some reason they weld everything again.
The idea of underslung couplers is more for SUV's pulling TT's. You have a half ton truck and a coupler on top is much easier on the WDH plus you have more ground clearance. Those couplers are only around $60.00 + you need some bolts and bushings (pipe).

Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Rustic Eagle: Don't know where you get your information from but would you should do a bit more researching on the subject.

lukenick1: Yes, you can mount a coupler on top bolted on. The old one the weld has to be grinded off in order to remove the old coupler.
When mounting the coupler on top they install between the frame bushings where the long bolts go through (otherwise the frame get squeezed). Mounting a coupler on top with bolts doesn't change the integrity of the system. Hence on the Jay Feather Ultra Frames they where all bolted on with 4 bolts. On the NXG frame for some reason they weld everything again.
The idea of underslung couplers is more for SUV's pulling TT's. You have a half ton truck and a coupler on top is much easier on the WDH plus you have more ground clearance. Those couplers are only around $60.00 + you need some bolts and bushings (pipe).
I just got off the phone with a trailer repair shop in my area. They have been in business for years but I never knew about it. A neighbor told me to call them. He said for me to bring my set up over there and he would take a look. He mentioned adding springs to raise the trailer but I think someone here mentioned it wouldn't be possible because of the axles? I will take it over there in 2 weeks when I pick it up and see what he thinks. I am so confused.......ha ha ha ha. I wonder if I could switch my spring bars over to trunnion bars without needing to buy a new head?

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #53

No, you'll need a new head. Don't try to build a frankenstein hitch, just go buy a complete one new or used. I had a quick glance at the pictures and I agree it doesn't look right. That drop shank is too much, those bars are way too low. Before you go and start throwing money around and cutting things off your trailer, I would find someone in your area that actually knows what they're doing, buy a different used hitch for cheap, and set it up properly. You could have your problems solved for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Your hitch head that's where the WDH bars fit in. Trunnion bars are not interchangeable with what you have. And you can't change the Dexter Torflex axle setup.
So the cheapest way is your coupler exchange and go back to your old 2" x 6" drop shank. The probably will give you credit for the 2'x9" drop shank.
I am sure to many answers create confusion...........that are forums...lol.
I can send a picture of my Jay Feather so you can see the coupler setup.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Your hitch head that's where the WDH bars fit in. Trunnion bars are not interchangeable with what you have. And you can't change the Dexter Torflex axle setup.
So the cheapest way is your coupler exchange and go back to your old 2" x 6" drop shank. The probably will give you credit for the 2'x9" drop shank.
I am sure to many answers create confusion...........that are forums...lol.
I can send a picture of my Jay Feather so you can see the coupler setup.
I can almost guarantee they won't give me credit for the shank, they won't even give me a new battery. Even though it was brand new 7 months ago they said it will be pro rated. New ownership also since I bought, so these guys are not budging. I wasn't even given an option on the WDH they just gave me what they had. Wish I knew better then, but I had no idea about anything. They knew that too! Grrrrrrrrrr
Old 03-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #56

Hey guys.....

If I end up going the trunnion style wdh, is this sufficient? Seems like a good price.

Equalizer E2 Weight Distribution Hitch 10000 lbs - $279.80

Seems like an all in one weight distribution with sway.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #57

The E2 is a good system, but the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system or Reese SC would be even better. Yes, is it a little more money for either of them but worth it imho.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #58

What about the Eaz Lift Recurve R3?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
What about the Eaz Lift Recurve R3?
I forgot about that "series" of models!!!

I have not read any reviews of the R3, but a member (Roscoe I think it is) over in GM-Trucks.com has the R6 (think that's the top model) and was very happy with it last I read. It is in the towing forum if you head over there. I will try to find the thread if I can.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #60

Wow!!!!!! Guess what?????? I just spoke with the dealer and told them about my set up and asked if they could reimburse me for some of the money I pad on this hitch, I explained to them how low my bars sit and how I have a heck of a time setting up. I sent them a pic thru email. He called me and told me I need to come back with my truck and trailer and they need to make it right, they said it is wrong and needs to be set up properly. I am excited but have a feeling when I get there they will tell me all is well and send me back home. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!