Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #71

If your finances allow I would go with a trunnion type WDH with built in sway control.

Easier to insert the bars and gets you more ground clearance on the bars.

Here's another option. More money than others but looks clean and simple.

Robot Check

Wireman

Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #72

I know nothing about equalizers and weight distribution etc etc (that's why I bought another 5th) and the newly adjusted set up looks ok to me. What I'm impressed with is all the great help you guys have given this gal!!! I'm sometimes afraid to ask about certain things and worry a lot - what the heck is a 66 year old deaf woman doing hauling around a 5th wheel. Actually, if I had started reading the forum before I bought the new one, well, I might not have. I didn't really know before just how much I don't know and how many situations I don't have the knowledge, skills or tools to fix. Got my cell phone and insurance and credit cards though.

Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
snip......Because the bracket can hold the chain link better, he now has me hooking up on the 3rd link (instead of the 2nd) which gives me a little more clearance but now the spring bar bows upwards. I wasn't sure it was supposed to do that but he assured me it's supposed to bend and it's perfectly fine.......snip
It appears the spring bar ground clearance is now maximized based on your TV/TT combination using the round bar WDH. The adjustment went from your original 8 links "under tension" to 7 links "under tension", which also transfers a little more weight to the TV's front suspension.

The slight upward angle of the spring bar tail is fine and won't effect it's operation/movement.

Just a FYI...., as you engage your snap-up brackets with the supplied pipe handle, don't remove the pipe handle our your grip on it until the safety pin is put in place. In most cases the snap-up bracket will stay in place once engaged (prior to safety pin placement), but, Murphy's Law has a way of coming into play

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #74

Thank you everyone for the help and great advice. I appreciate this forum and you all!!! I have learned a lot!!! I did notice not so much looseness in the steering once we went down another link so that was a good thing too I also went to Home Depot and bought a 30" pipe for more leverage. Excited to camp in a couple weeks!
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #75

Hey guys........back again!!!! So I want you to know I am seriously considering a different hitch. After driving it and reading more info I think I need better control. I feel like even going down one more link I still feel my steering seems loose and I feel a lot of movement with trucks passing and wind. Almost like my front end floats. I know I am at my max with the chains because as it is now the spring bar is bowing. Can you all help me pick the best hitch for my set up? I know it has to at least be a trunnion style because of the lack of ground clearance. Please refer to my pics in this post. Some of you have recommended the Equalizer, is that the best for getting more weight distributed to the front axles and less sway? Of course I would prefer to save some money but want something to make things feel safer and more in control.

Thanks again for all your help and patience with me.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #76

The bow is what is engaging the load transfer to the front wheels.

I currently have the equalizer brand wdh. I like it! If you decide to change wdh's make sure to size it correctly.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #77

Do you know the weight rating on the bars you are currently using and what your tongue weight is?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #78

Before I spent the money on a new WDH and anti-sway, I'd do/check three things at the current settings:

First...
1) Is the trailer level or slightly nose down?
2) Are the tires on the TV and TT inflated to the maximum shown on their sidewalls?
Then...
3) Weigh the TV and TT so the amount of weight on the front tires is KNOWN, the TONGUE weight is KNOWN, and the weight on the axles is KNOWN. IMO, just continuing to change the WDH hitch without knowing the weights is not a good plan.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Do you know the weight rating on the bars you are currently using and what your tongue weight is?
Weight rating on the bars is 750 and tongue weight from specs is 515
Old 04-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Before I spent the money on a new WDH and anti-sway, I'd do/check three things at the current settings:

First...
1) Is the trailer level or slightly nose down?
2) Are the tires on the TV and TT inflated to the maximum shown on their sidewalls?
Then...
3) Weigh the TV and TT so the amount of weight on the front tires is KNOWN, the TONGUE weight is KNOWN, and the weight on the axles is KNOWN. IMO, just continuing to change the WDH hitch without knowing the weights is not a good plan.
Trailer is nose up with it being on the 3rd link. He had me set it that way because it was unloaded. Said it will leave room for when I load it. I did inflate the TT tires to the max but not the TV yet. I will do that before I tow it next. I am planning to measure the wheel wells unloaded then loaded to see what I come up with. I am still learning.