Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Honest Owner Review for Jayco 2017 Jayflight 264BHW (after one year)

We have owned our 2017 Jayco Jayflight 264BHW, as specced below:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2017-jay-flight-slx/264bhw/

This is a short review. Overall we LOVE our Jayco.This unit is what I would consider a "budget priced" unit, and people who expect "superior quality fit and finish and fancy materials" are probably not going to buy this unit. We're a family of 6 who travelled across canada with this trailer. We had a great time, and if I didn't like the trailer, I'd be putting it back up for sale. But I love it and we're keeping it.

The Jayco Warranty is Great, and we needed it. Here is a list of the things we needed replaced:

1. The steps to enter the unit broke. It took a long time to order new steps, and Jayco sent our dealer the wrong steps. You would think that Jayco could find out "this is a 264BHW" and send the correct set of metal folding stairsteps out to the dealers, but you would be wrong.

2. The igniter electronic board in the LP-gas-only-water-heater went. It was replaced under warranty. I ordered a spare for myself to have onboard for the next time it dies when it's not in warranty.

3. The bluetooth head unit (the stereo) stopped pairing on bluetooth as the bluetooth radio part died, and it was replaced under warranty.

4. There was a recall on all 2017 jayflights affecting the model of LED lights used. They could catch fire. Some of the units besides getting hot were prone to a lot of flickering, caused by, I think, heat damage and/or bad wave-soldering in the LED assembly.

5. The igniter wires had insulation shorts, causing the igniter on the stove to stop working for most of the burners.

6. The water supply lines leaked badly, right near the water heater, caused by poor quality fittings on our unit. The dealer repair technician we talked to said this is a common problem with these units and that Jayco could do better with the quality of their plumbing.

Here is what did NOT go wrong with our unit:

1. We towed it across canada, and the tires, the axles, and the frame were rigid, safe and very high quality.

2. The unit is not flexing or bowing, and it appears to be solidly constructed.

3. There are no exterior leaks, rain and snow (first winter!) did not result in any leaks inside the unit.

4. The fridge was bulletproof, as long as we were careful to make sure it ignited. Ignition on a dual 110VAC/LP-gas fridge is not a sure thing. We made it part of our "pre-campground-stakes-up" to move the thing onto LP gas only mode 1 hour before pulling out, and checking that it was still up and going. Also we tended to switch to a fresh LP tank before pulling out, on days with a long drive. That made sure our food stayed cold while we drove long distances.

Here are things that I think are pretty low quality:

• The master bedroom "short queen" mattress that came with the unit was low quality, and we replaced it with something better. No problem. To bring this unit in at a good price, they don't put fancy mattresses on the beds.

• The LED lights are pretty low quality and I intend to replace them with something else. I don't know why, but the light hurts my eyes, I think it's the lack of a good diffuser, and the fact that the lights are not dimmable.

• The cabinetry in the master bedroom is a bit flimsy. Had to tack it back together when it popped apart. 1/8th inch pressboard with a veneer sheet, with ⅛" sticks, tacked together with a pin nailer, is the construction technique used. But hey, whaddya want at this price point.

• While the locks are a step above some of the "cheap locks" out there, in that they are somewhat uniquely coded to your trailer, forcing these locks is something easily done. It takes more than a unique key to keep someone with a screwdriver out of your unit. If that matters to you, upgrade the lock and bolt hardware. The only lock that I don't think needs replacing is the one on the door. All the access hatch locks are of very low quality

• The awning speakers are atrocious. We don't use the stereo to play exterior music, it's just terrible. A bose bluetooth speaker unit and a cell phone furnishes outdoor music, and the stereo is set to 90% indoors for the music. I don't know anyone in the world who would have thought the awning speakers were acceptable quality.

Here are things that I think are fantastic:

• The trailer brakes were solid and very safe, and I felt quite safe towing the unit.

• I love the layout of the 264 BHW, bunkhouse unit. The bunk beds are perfect for the Kiddos, and the master bedroom is perfect for the Mom and Dad units.

• The appliances are pretty great. I baked lasagna in the oven, and while it's a camper oven not a home oven, it's great for what it is. The fridge is great.

• The little stereo system is great.

• The power awning is great, except the little speakers in it, which sound terrible.

Overall, as a family fun unit, for people who don't have $50K to blow on a luxury unit, and who can handle that this is IN THE END A PLYWOOD BOX ON WHEELS FOR FAMILY VACATION FUN, not a replacement for your suburban house, nor a high end fifth wheel, this is a great trailer and I love it.

Cheers,

Warren from Armstrong British Columbia Canada
(This was posted and then mysteriously disappeared. If the admins deleted it, it would be nice if they posted a private message. If the forums glitched, then that's that.)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Team

The other post "review" is still up. It has had 58 views at this time.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote