Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Hooking cable modem up with regular antenna?

Hello

We are at a permanent site with our travel trailer. We use a cable modem for internet.

My wife would like to receive local channels for news and weather without paying the cable company. Is this possible to hook the cable modem and tv up at the same time?
Dano0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano0816 View Post
Hello

We are at a permanent site with our travel trailer. We use a cable modem for internet.

My wife would like to receive local channels for news and weather without paying the cable company. Is this possible to hook the cable modem and tv up at the same time?

It depends on how your RV wiring is set up, but most have a separate cable line to the TV and a separate line from the antenna. You would just need to select your source on the tv to switch from cable feed to the antenna feed.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

Cable splitter?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Also, most antennas have a powered amplifier, so they need to be on their own. You can tell if the antenna connection behind your tv has a light next to it. Mine is green when on.
Will you connect the cable modem to your tv with an Ethernet cable or use WiFi? Either way, you should have two source connections to the tv, one for the cable modem, and a coax cable from the antenna. Still need to change source from the tv setting to switch between the two.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Also, most antennas have a powered amplifier, so they need to be on their own. You can tell if the antenna connection behind your tv has a light next to it. Mine is green when on.
Will you connect the cable modem to your tv with an Ethernet cable or use WiFi? Either way, you should have two source connections to the tv, one for the cable modem, and a coax cable from the antenna. Still need to change source from the tv setting to switch between the two.
A -B Switch or cable splitter will work.

Murff
Attached Thumbnails
180-420_HR_0.jpg   201-242.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
A -B Switch or cable splitter will work.

Murff
The A-B switch will work, the splitter will not. The splitter will divide a single input signal into two outputs, it does not work in reverse. The A-B switch will allow you to switch from signal from the antenna or from the cable to the TV.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano0816 View Post
Hello

Correct me if I'm wrong ... you have Internet service through your cable service at your campsite ? But the cable company filters out video service. If I'm correct and you have a separate satellite cable connection then you can do this:

1. Hook the cable service to your satellite "in" connection. At the wall plate behind the tv, connect your cable modem to the satellite connection.
2. Hook your tv to the wall plate as it would normally be, turn on the antenna amplifier, set tv to off-air, and scan for channels.

On a side note, have you tried to hook the cable directly to your tv ? It's entirely possible that you may be able to pick up some channels that are on the cable. Try it, you might be surprised. If this is the case then all you need is a two-way splitter capable of 5mhz to 1ghz. Quite a few cable companies Internet service is in the sub-low band (typically the reverse portion of the Internet service) so it's important that the two-way splitter to start at 5mhz.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Team

What is the MFR/Model of the cable modem you are using
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote