Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2022, 02:53 PM   #1

Hot Water Flame Sounds Like a Jet!

I have a 2015 195RB with an Atwood hot water heater G6A-7. I have replaced the thermocouple assembly and removed the main burner tube and made sure it is 100% clear. The heater functions and shuts off when the set temperature is reached. My concern is the extremely loud main burner! It can be heard three campsites over. In previous outings this summer, the unit did not sound like this.

Is this something caused by incorrect propane pressure? Is there a method to check the pressure or is the regulator nonadjustable?

Thank you,
tbone!
tbone! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #2

Mine sounds like a jet engine for a few seconds when it comes on for the first time. I've slid the tube that controls the air but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have a nice blue flame when it's running so I know it's set right.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #3

Since you stated it wasn't that loud previously your regulator may have issues.
Check your kitchen stove burners for excessive flame on high.

"A common operating pressure for liquid petroleum or LP gas appliance is 10" - 11" of water column (WC) or re-stating this in equivalent measures, that's 27.4 millibars or 2491 - 2739 Pascals or Pa, or about 0.36 - 0.40 psi or about 5.78 to 6.36 ounces of pressure per square inch."

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...al%2C77&sr=1-4
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:13 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone! View Post
I have a 2015 195RB with an Atwood hot water heater G6A-7. I have replaced the thermocouple assembly and removed the main burner tube and made sure it is 100% clear. The heater functions and shuts off when the set temperature is reached. My concern is the extremely loud main burner! It can be heard three campsites over. In previous outings this summer, the unit did not sound like this.

Is this something caused by incorrect propane pressure? Is there a method to check the pressure or is the regulator nonadjustable?

Thank you,
tbone!
I have had four different brand RVs over the last 23 years and every hot water heater sounded like that. Those parked next to me at every RV park I have been at sounded like that.

There is a lot of flame and pressure coming down that tube. Kinda like the exhaust on a turbine engine (jet engine).

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #5

I had that happen to my old Lance camper water heater. Very loud for a bit and I think the flame was slightly different than normal. It would clear up somewhat quickly.

I ended up replacing the gas burner tube and jet (orifice) and it completely solved the problem. The parts were not that expensive as I remember.

The thing is basically a small flame thrower. Maybe if the mix isn't perfect the flame howls. Beats me.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone! View Post

"Roaring" means it's a lean burn. If it didn't roar before, that means it was a proper richer burn at that time. If you haven't changed the position of the air shutter...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230128_145914-2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	86163

Name:	Atwood 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	86164

Name:	Atwood 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	86165

...then that means the main burner is now getting less gas (or more air) for some reason. That could be due to a drop in LPG pressure or a restriction/debris in the orifice or main burner tube.

The Atwood 91602 (Robertshaw) gas valve has a 1/8" test port on the bottom next to the pilot connection. Test with a manual or digital manometer.

Name:	Atwood 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	86166

I'd check the main LPG low pressure regulator at the tank first to make sure the entire trailer is being fed with the proper pressure before testing the water heater gas valve. Why? Because you have to twist the 90° elbow and orifice out of the way to get access to the test port. Then you have to put the main burner back into place on the elbow and devise a way to ignite the pilot and main burner while it's detached from the tank so that the valve will activate. You'll only get pressure at the test port while the valve is open and in operation, and that will only happen when the pilot thermocouple is sufficiently heated and the thermostat is turned up.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote