Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Hot water heater

I have a 30 ft 2016 Jay Flight with the standard atwood 6 gallon water heater. Has anyone replaced there old heater with an on demand tankless water heater.
stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

I have not but with two of us in the camper the 6 gallon water heater gives us enough hot water for two showers in a row
gpd2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Reminder

Just a reminder for when you start to refill water after winterizing. It seemed to take a longer time to get water flowing though the lines, lots of gurgling, but all of the air eventually purged. I went out side to do a final check as I had it parked in the storage lot when I noticed water dripping from the heater area. I then remember that I only finger tightened the drain bolt. First big “duh” of the season for me.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #4

I have a 2017 SLX with the 6 gallon hot water tank. Once the circuit board problems were resolved I find it is enough for the 4 of us. I’m curious if you are unhappy with it or looking to just try an upgrade.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

I have been told cavity size is everything. Whether swapping from tankless to tanked or tanked to tankless. Surf the web, find the make/model you like and compare with what you have. The details should tell you the height, depth and width of each.

We have the tankless and it does wastes water. However we really like the operation of it. We do not boondock, camp much without full hookups (Glampers here), nor camp in cold climates (winter Texans). Additionally, we washe clothes in cold water only. Our controller for the tankless (in the bathroom) and the operation of the heater can take up to 30secs to settle to the desired temp and this removes the ability to wash clothes in hot water.

I don't know the largest tanked water heater out there but I have heard of a 15gal. Must be huge..

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

Just looking to upgrade.
stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickywicket View Post
Just looking to upgrade.
Why?

Like other's have said here, I have a 6 gallon too, and it's plenty for both of us to shower? You trying to fill a hot tub or something?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote