Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater failure

Hi all,
We bought a brand new 2018 Eagle trailer. It has a standard 6 gallon Atwood hot water heater with option for electric or gas heat (or both). We took it out twice, no problem running it on gas heater. Third time out we were on 30Amp shore power and heated up with electric when our problem started.

Electric did heat up the tank enough for 1.5 showers, but after that no more heat on either gas or electric.

From then on - nothing happens at all when turning on hot water heater. No gas, no sparker, no electric heat, just nothing... I did find the 2-amp fuse is blown immediately when turning on heat - both on battery or on shore power.
I'll list troubleshooting we've done thus far - but the question is - what would trip that 2-amp fuse on the control board? - how do you test it, any similar experience?

1. Verified all connections were solid, no rusty/dirty connections anywhere.
2. Verified gas functions well throughout the trailer, no air in gas line.
3. Verified gas is not running at hot water heater at any time, switched on or off.
4. Disconnected and reconnected all wiring, verified all fuses and breakers.
5. Pulled off control board and brought in to RV store and tested it worked great with a new fuse. Reconnected to the trailer - it instantly blew the fuse when I switched on the gas.
6. Disconnected the gas valve cable in case the gas valve had a short of some sort. new fuse blew instantly again.
7. Disconnected the yellow wire that leads to electric heating element (in addition to the disconnected red wire to the gas valve) - new fuse blew immediately.
8. Shut off the breaker for optional hot water heater 15 amp circuit that powers that heating element. (in addition to the above 2 wires still disconnected) - new fuse blew immediately.
9. Pulled off the switch panel inside the trailer (with power cut off) but nothing looked bad inside.

So when I hit the gas line switch - it's tripping the 2 amp fuse immediately, even without the electric element, and without the gas valve connected. There's a blue wire leading to a tiny LED indicator light, brown wires that go to the Thermostat and ECO, but that's about it. What am I missing?

Next Steps: Tomorrow I'll call Atwood during their business hours to see if they have thoughts. On Wednesday the RV shop said I can bring the trailer by (pain in the butt, but maybe?). On Friday I have a 10 day beach trip... really hoping for a solution by then.
Ashrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Bump - this is my husband's post and he's been working really hard to figure out a solution. I'm hoping someone can help us!
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

I know you checked the circuit board but that's definitely a culprit. Or maybe a grounding issue. I would say the gas valve but you've checked that.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

Check the eco and stat connections make sure they're not shorting to the tank.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

I, along with quite a few others, had the same problem. I had a mobile tech install a new circuit board, as mine popped the 2 amp fuse as soon as power went to it.

My thread is called "Atwood water heater issue."
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote