Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Not Working

Good Afternoon Jayco Family,

We recently got a New to Us 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW. My Wife wanted to take a shower, so I turned on the Heater Switch for the Hot Water Heater and left.

We came back about an hour later and we didn't have any Hot Water. I went and Opened the Cover. There was No Flame. I went back inside and turned the system off for several minutes. Then turned it back on.

I went outside and saw the Ignited lite the Flame. It ran about 5 seconds and went out. Then, about 5 seconds later, the Flame lit again for about 5 seconds and went out.

I then noticed a High Pitched Whine coming from the "Black Control Block" in the Upper Right Hand of the Panel.

I am New to RVing. Where should I start Troubleshooting? What should I be Looking/Testing for?

Thank You In Advance for Your Help!

Scott
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #2

Guessing that you have an Atwood water heater, here's a full troubleshooting guide - http://rvrepairmanual.com/manuals/At...er-Heaters.pdf

In most cases that I have seen with these, it's the last line on page 19... A lot of people on this forum have replaced the circuit board with the Dinosaur UIB64 which is a direct replacement and runs around $110 on Amazon.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:19 AM   #3

Hot Water Heater Not Working

Good Morning Colby,

Thank You for Your Information!

After searching for All of the Videos I could find, and reading all about the issues people had gone through, and considering the age of this TT, I went ahead and got the Dinosaur Board from Amazon.

It was about a 10 min Install. Then, we tested it and Voila!

The Hot Water Heater is Now Working!!!

I can't even imagine what this would have Cost, as well as how long it would have sat an RV Repair Shop for something So Easy to Fix!

Thank You for Your Help!!!

Have a Blessed Week!

Scott

2020 Ford F250 STX 4x4 CCSB
2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

Scott,

Glad that it all worked out for you.

Happy camping!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 10-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

Glad it worked out. I assumed he let the water get too cool. Hot water heaters only heat hot water ... so, if it gets cold, you're out of luck. My advice is to swap that hot water heater out with a water heater ... one that will heat water of all types of different temps.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Wsw

I am a bit confused about the last post. A water heater will heat up any kind of water. Cold, warm, hot, partially frozen. If water is in that tank. It gets heated hot up to whatever upper temp limit switch is set for. Then it shuts off until temp is below that high temp. On, off, on, off to keep it at that set hot temp. Turn it off and water can cool down to freezing. If you turn heater back on it will heat it back up to the high temp your heater is set for.

Not sure what was meant by hot water heaters only heat hot water, he let it get to cool, swap it out for a heater that will heat water of all different temps.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsw View Post
I am a bit confused about the last post. A water heater will heat up any kind of water.[...] (emphasis added)
Very true, but the OP didn't have a water heater. The OP had a hot water heater.

It's a joke. The OP got it all figured out and the problem was solved, so I didn't worry about a joke interfering with the issue or hijacking the thread.

Hot water heater is an often misused term by people who actually mean water heater. The descriptor hot is nonsensical. Literally a "hot water heater" would be a heater of hot water, and such a device would be of little use. Hence the joke: if the water were allowed to cool to the point where it was no longer hot, then a hot water heater would be of no use. A person would then need a warm water heater or a cold water heater ... or better yet, just a plain old water heater that heats all temps of water.

Hope this helps explain the joke for you.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #8

Glad you got it working again.

One thing I do, to ensure I do not burn up the electric heating element (pain to get to on my TT). Is to turn off the 120 volt circuit breaker when not needed. Propane will still work as the control board uses 12V. We have on numerous trips turned on the water heater when we did not have water in the tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

most likely the control board. Same thing happened to on my 2018 tt. Seems that there were a lot of defective control boards on the Atwood water heaters. Replaced mine in 5 minutes. $120.00 on Amazon.
Rubber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Glad it worked out. I assumed he let the water get too cool. Hot water heaters only heat hot water ... so, if it gets cold, you're out of luck. My advice is to swap that hot water heater out with a water heater ... one that will heat water of all types of different temps.

FWIW, I had the same problem on my WH, replaced with Dinosaur board from Amazon, all is well for almost 3 years now.

Others went with warranty replacement, left their rig at the shop forever, warranty replaced OEM part with another defective OEM part, rinse and repeat. 2-3 iterations or more in some cases. Until seemingly finally all the bad boards had cycled out of inventory. But I've still read of a few bad boards since then, so they're still out there...

In my case, I knew it would be covered under warranty, but I wasn't willing to take the chance of having to go through 3-4 boards to finally get one that worked, so I just did it myself. This one was not worth my time to fuss with it, so I just bought the board, installed myself and moved on happily with warm showers!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This one was not worth my time to fuss with it, so I just bought the board, installed myself and moved on happily with warm showers!
I think I see your problem there. You replaced the board with a warm water heater one, instead of hot water heater version. That's why you're having warm showers instead of hot ones...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I think I see your problem there. You replaced the board with a warm water heater one, instead of hot water heater version. That's why you're having warm showers instead of hot ones...

Well, there's no complaints from the DW, and you know what they say about a happy wife!!

The other night we were camped out in my dad's driveway. I didn't feel like heading into his house for a shower, so I figured no biggie, I'll just hop in for a quick Navy shower and be on my way to snoozeland in no time. Realized quickly that I forgot to turn on the water heater! QUICKEST. SHOWER. EVER! I bet I only used about a gallon of water!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #13
Wsw

Sorry. About that. I'm way to serious sometimes.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #14

great video on water heaters https://youtu.be/IyJWLmlnQ4I
and there was a band batch of boards for Dometic / Atwood hot water heaters.
if there is sticker on the board that says Zhongding it is probably. bad. bought 3 on a camping trip out west finaly got a good board that was not a Zhongding brand. contacted Dometic and tehy sent me another replacement board too so now i have a spare. on the reason on the dometic paperwork for the replacement board it just said Zhongding. camper was out of warranty it was 2 years old, but still sent me a board.

my board was:
Zhongding
91 349 A 031800301
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
if there is sticker on the board that says Zhongding it is probably. bad. bought 3 on a camping trip out west finaly got a good board that was not a Zhongding brand. contacted Dometic and tehy sent me another replacement board too so now i have a spare. on the reason on the dometic paperwork for the replacement board it just said Zhongding. camper was out of warranty it was 2 years old, but still sent me a board.

my board was:
Zhongding
91 349 A 031800301
I am fighting that battle right now...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 10-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
i was home from my camping trip for weeks and weeks before i got my replacement from them. terrible company.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post

my board was:
Zhongding
91 349 A 031800301
Quote:
Colby, good luck. Ours was 6 months out of warranty and crapped out during a trip. I had to buy a replacement. Contacted Atwood and they wouldn’t reimburse me or give me another as a spare. They claimed it wasn’t bad since it lasted two years. Typical lousy treatment by a company that has no problem selling defective garbage.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Just save yourself a bunch of headache and trouble and buy a Dinosaur board off Amazon. Sure, it's $$ out of pocket, but what is your time and heartache worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Colby, good luck. Ours was 6 months out of warranty and crapped out during a trip. I had to buy a replacement. Contacted Atwood and they wouldn’t reimburse me or give me another as a spare. They claimed it wasn’t bad since it lasted two years. Typical lousy treatment by a company that has no problem selling defective garbage.
Par for the course these days it seems. Lots of demand, diminished supply = lack of customer care. They'll just sell it to the next one in line. Especially poor since it's a KNOWN issue.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Just save yourself a bunch of headache and trouble and buy a Dinosaur board off Amazon. Sure, it's $$ out of pocket, but what is your time and heartache worth?
I agree with Bob.

Instead of dealing with phone calls, emails, back and forth, dealer appointments, stress and warranty headaches, it's just much easier and quicker, buy the board on Amazon. It's there in two or three days. Pop it in, and continue with life.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I agree with Bob.

Instead of dealing with phone calls, emails, back and forth, dealer appointments, stress and warranty headaches, it's just much easier and quicker, buy the board on Amazon. It's there in two or three days. Pop it in, and continue with life.
Plus the Dinosaur board is more dependable than the replacement you're going to get from the dealer or manufacturer.

Should the manufacturer compensate you for repairing their known faulty equipment? Absolutely. Will they? Unlikely.

Is this the "hill I want to die on"? Nope, not this one ... not today.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV