Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #1

Hot Water Heater Off While City Water Disconnected?

It was freezing last night so the campground suggested that we disconnect city water. We left our hot water heater on believing that its not going to "boil off" enough water to be concerned. In the middle of the night the water heater started crackling. I turned on the pump and ran some hot water and it quieted down some what. Trailer nor hot water heater instructions say anything about running it just with the water pump. Can someone educate me on what Boondockers do, or when city water is disconnected.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #2

The water pump takes water from the fresh water tanks and pumps it into the system including the water heater. Getting water out of the hot water tank relies on water being pumped into the tank from the fresh water supply. As long as the pump has a supply of fresh water the water tank keeps being filled and hot water gets circulated by the pressure of water being pumped into the tank. When that stops whatever water is in the tank stays in the tank and just keeps getting reheated as it cools. It doesn't get heated to a boil since there is a shut-off at some temperature (I think 120F).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #3

I full time and have never winterized my rig since I live in it. On nights it is supposed to freeze I switch my rig to run on internal fresh water (I always keep my tank full for this purpose and anytime my external water supply is off) and unhook the hose from the city spigot. In my case my water hose runs downhill to the water spigot so I just remove my pressure regulator and leave the hose hooked up to my rig. It drains and is ready to be hooked back. I also have a trash can lined with insulation that I put over the spigot and the spigot has an electric heat tape wrapped around it. I am in central Alabama so we don't get that many freezing night, but this system has worked for me for 10 years.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
It was freezing last night so the campground suggested that we disconnect city water. We left our hot water heater on believing that its not going to "boil off" enough water to be concerned. In the middle of the night the water heater started crackling. I turned on the pump and ran some hot water and it quieted down some what. Trailer nor hot water heater instructions say anything about running it just with the water pump. Can someone educate me on what Boondockers do, or when city water is disconnected.
There is nothing to do. Everything should work as usual. The water tank can not "boil off" water unless it is defective. There is a 140 degrees shout of installed. Water "boils" at 210. The heater will make some cracking noise when the 120 volt heating element comes on. All electric water heaters do it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater switch