Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Propane Issue

This weekend running my hot water heater on Propane, I noticed beside the switch, there was a little red light. On the top and bottom of the light it said DSI FLT.
I know this has something to do with the spark ignition. As I had my son try turning it on, I would not hear the clicking nor would I see it sparking when I had the water tank cover open.

Any one else have this issue? What was the fix?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #2

Have not seen any responses to this. Has anyone else had this issue?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

I'm assuming you weren't able to run your hot water heater on propane because the igniter failed? Did you check your hot water heater breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

There are number of possible causes from spiders in tubes (blow out with compressed air) bad connection to ignighter. There is also an inline fuse on the ignighter wire. Remove fuse and bypass it if it lights go get a new fuse. Run your stove to make sure you are getting propane to hwy tank and try ŕelighting
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #5

I would try blowing it out with compressed air. I have to do this with mine occasionally.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

Did the red light illuminate? If so it means there's a fault with the direct spark ignition and it's not lighting.

Our water heater did the same and it was a bad control board. Board was about $90 but it was still under warranty.
shfd739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Try blowing the tube out or looking for a dirt dauber/ spider web inside. They love propane. You can remove it by just removing a few screws. ( gas off) Do not mess with the orifice at the end but push a very thin wire thru it and make sure nothing is between the gas regulator control and the orifice.

When you turn on the water heater inside the DSL light will glow red until the wh lights, then it will go off. If it does not light in three tries, it will quit and stay lit. You should hear the sparking when its attempting to light. Another thing to check is all the push on connectots on the wh are clean and tight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

If you can't hear it sparking open the water heater door on the outside. Have someone flick the switch and watch and listen. If there is no sparking then check all the electrical connections. Not sure on your ability with electrical but it's not difficult remove and clean connections. And try again. If it is sparking but not lighting try lighting your stove to purge the propane lines and try again. Let me know what happens from there
Old 06-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarche View Post
I'm assuming you weren't able to run your hot water heater on propane because the igniter failed? Did you check your hot water heater breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, It is good. I hear it click but the igniter don't spark.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfd739 View Post
Did the red light illuminate? If so it means there's a fault with the direct spark ignition and it's not lighting.

Our water heater did the same and it was a bad control board. Board was about $90 but it was still under warranty.
Yes, the red DSI FLT light illuminates. Mine is still under warranty and going in for that and some other warranty work on July 6th.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
If you can't hear it sparking open the water heater door on the outside. Have someone flick the switch and watch and listen. If there is no sparking then check all the electrical connections. Not sure on your ability with electrical but it's not difficult remove and clean connections. And try again. If it is sparking but not lighting try lighting your stove to purge the propane lines and try again. Let me know what happens from there
Did what Norty1 Suggested and still don't ignite.
Had my son go in and flip the switch on and I could hear it click but no sparks. Unplugged all the terminals (one at a time) and cleaned them. They are already very clean. I had him turn it off, went in and lit all the burners on my stove and let them burn for 5 minutes. Tried the hot water heater again.... No Spark. I then had my son turn it off and I got a lighter. Lit the lighter and held it in the pipe, when the gas came thru, it lit right up and burned fine. Just NO SPARK. Tried seeing if it would light with the thermistor removed.... NO JOY!

We will see what the shop says when they get it on July 6th.

Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciate them.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

There is a clear plastic tube might be redish in color.it goes to the ignighter It is a fuse. You can remove it and plug in the terminal without it basically bypassing the fuse. If it lights go get a new fuse. I would not run it for long without it.the gap on the ignighter may be too large as well should be 1/8 "
Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #13
Site Team

Do you see a spark in the burner tube just past the gas orifice? in the dark you should see a spark jump that gap when you hear it. Sounds like you are close to finding it. You said you have gas and can light it manually. If bypassing the thermal fuse does not fix it and the gap is right on the igniter the only thing I can think of is to inspect the actual porcelain unit at the end where the spark is supposed to be.

Sure would like to hear the end of this story!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote