Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
I open both low point drains then open the faucets to begin draining the lines and then proceed to open the pressure relief valve on the water heater. It should drain the water out of the heater. If you are not sure if it does for you then I suggest draining the water heater while there is still hot/warm water in it and feel if the water draining from the low point drains is hot. It should take about 15-20 minutes (at least on my camper) to drain the entire system.

lol..don't need to feel it. I do it the way the instructions say to by pulling the plug on the HW heater.

Just doesn't make any sense as the cold line should have a one way valve to keep hot water from escaping the heater and warming the cold lines of the trailer.
Maybe Jayco doesn't put those in their lines
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Jesus, just pull the plug, if no water comes out it is empty. lol
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Jesus, just pull the plug, if no water comes out it is empty. lol

Well... Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is, are there other ways the water may be drained from the water heater? I say yes, the LP drains will also drain the water heater, and now I want to figure out how. I'm curious like that, I like to know exactly how stuff works, it's one of my favorite parts of this hobby!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #24

I know on my trailer when I pull the low point drains, the hot water tank does not drain.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Well... Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is, are there other ways the water may be drained from the water heater? I say yes, the LP drains will also drain the water heater, and now I want to figure out how. I'm curious like that, I like to know exactly how stuff works, it's one of my favorite parts of this hobby!
but even by your own post before it doesn't. You said you open the low point valves. they drain then stop. then you open the hot water heater and drain it. (this tells me it didn't drain with the low point valves). also more water starts again out of the low point valves (which would be the hot line going to the hot water heater since it has air behind it now)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #26

Ya, I did say that, and you could be right. But it also could be that it's a vapor lock, and it just drains the tank really slow. When I pull the LP drains, I also reach up and open both valves on the bathroom faucet, so there's air in the hot side from that. Like I said, you could be right, but I'm thinking I'm missing something and the tank drains from the LP. I won't know until I get my trailer back from the shop. Then I'll try some different things and see what happens.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #27

here is a easy solution. take the drain plug out of the bottom of the water heater. insatall a small valve into the drain plug, you can get them with a anode attached also. when you want to drain the water heater open the valve you just installed and the pressure relief valve on the water heater. I gurantee your water water will be empty.
fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
here is a easy solution. take the drain plug out of the bottom of the water heater. insatall a small valve into the drain plug, you can get them with a anode attached also. when you want to drain the water heater open the valve you just installed and the pressure relief valve on the water heater. I gurantee your water water will be empty.
this post was because the OP was concerned why his tank was empty. not how to go about emptying it.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
I have the Atwood heater in mine. Do they sell drain valve kits for it or would it be just as easy to go to the hardware store and piece something together. The drain plug location is a pain on these.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
I have the Atwood heater in mine. Do they sell drain valve kits for it or would it be just as easy to go to the hardware store and piece something together. The drain plug location is a pain on these.

I think having a valve would make it difficult to flush the sludge out that can build up. you would be best to stay with the plug IMO
Old 10-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I think having a valve would make it difficult to flush the sludge out that can build up. you would be best to stay with the plug IMO
I just drained mine today. the valve i bought has a anode in it just like your home water heater. It took 5 minutes to drain and i know its empty. i leave the valve open all winter and i haven't had any problem with sludge. i drain my water heater several times a year. Whenever I have no plans to use the camper for a period of time i always drain it. Its so easy. i forgot to add i got mine at a rv dealer called noble rv
fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #32

H/W Heater

Suggest you review Owners Manual for winterizing your unit. Open the relief value and remove the plug and the W/H should drain.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Suggest you review Owners Manual for winterizing your unit. Open the relief value and remove the plug and the W/H should drain.

who were you referring to?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #34
WCT

[QUOTE][Suggest you review Owners Manual for winterizing your unit. Open the relief value and remove the plug and the W/H should drain. /QUOTE]

Mohok1, I did review the Owners Manual and was following it! I drained the LP valves and when they were finished draining, I opened the relief valve and removed the plug, (as per the Owners Manual) and that is what started this post. There was no water in the water heater tank! So I was simply asking the Jayco family where they thought the water went to. I wasn't asking how to winterize the TT, I already knew that, but thank you for your suggestion!!!!

Thanks everyone else for all your great responses. I checked and rechecked and there are no leaks anywhere, so the only answer is that the LP valves drained the tank. I will confirm it in the spring when I take the TT out for the new camping season.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

well I finished camping today so I opened the low points on my X17A. I had all the taps open and outside shower. Left it until it stopped and then opened my H/W Heater plug and it was full of water. Like I thought, the heater didn't drain with the low point valves
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #36

You all sure beat this one to death.
Have a brewsky on me.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #37

My water heater will not drain unless I pull the drain plug. Seems to me there are a bunch of bad check valves out there?, not sure. You should not mix hot water system with fresh water system that would be a health issue IMHO. I could be wrong.

I think we need a Jayco expert to chime in here and explain how draining all the lines drains the HWH. And if so how?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #38

Well put me in the 'water heater drains with the low point drains' group. We camped two weeks ago. I opened the low point drains when we left and have left them open since. Out of curiosity, I just went out and unscrewed the water heater plug and no water came out. I don't know if it is truly an issue, but it doesn't concern me. I will probably look into it at some point in the future...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote