Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

Question Hot Water Heater residue

Hello,
We have a 2015 x23b and used it one season. I just took it in for inspection and the service tech said there is a lot of build up from the water heater and it's clogging the aerators. Over the summer/fall we camped at least every other week so we did not empty the water heater. We did empty it when we winterized everything. They suggested we rinse out the inside of the water heater, take the aerators out and let the water run to all the faucets.
This is our first year with our Jayco and I don't remember reading/hearing we should be doing this yearly. Is this a normal occurrence? Should this be part of our winterizing/dewinterizing process? What is the best way to clean the inside of the water heater?? Thanks in advance for any help!
Oswaldburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #2

Water heater will build up scale over time. It is normal to have to flush them at least once a year. There are many methods. Some folks just attach a flush wand to a hose and rinse it via the plug/drain hole. Others will use vinegar or some other solvent to aid the process. I'd suggest doing a youtube search. You find many helpful ways to maintain the water heater. Then just go with a method that serves you best.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Water heater will build up scale over time. It is normal to have to flush them at least once a year. There are many methods. Some folks just attach a flush wand to a hose and rinse it via the plug/drain hole. Others will use vinegar or some other solvent to aid the process. I'd suggest doing a youtube search. You find many helpful ways to maintain the water heater. Then just go with a method that serves you best.
I used a Camco water heater tank rinser (~$6.50) and rinsed the tank through the drain hole. I haven't heard of others on this site using chemicals so I hadn't considered it. But vinegar works to clean my Mr.Coffee.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

Are you using a water filter at the water connection? Cutting out at least some of the minerals before they get to the tank may help prevent the buildup from forming as quickly. I notice a big difference in our kettle if I remember to use the filtered water instead of the water direct from the cg source at my favorite spot.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Are you using a water filter at the water connection? Cutting out at least some of the minerals before they get to the tank may help prevent the buildup from forming as quickly. I notice a big difference in our kettle if I remember to use the filtered water instead of the water direct from the cg source at my favorite spot.
Me? Yes. I fill the TT with soft water at the house. On the road, I use a Camco filter at the CG water connection, a carbon block filter and a water softening cartridge at the trailer.

Full disclosure: On the road early last season, I didn't use the 2 filters at the trailer all the time. Later, I changed to using them all the time, but my flow rate for the softening filter was too high. I'll cut the flow rate this season and see if that makes a difference in the buildup in the water heater.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Thanks everyone! We do use a water filter at the water connection. I just purchased the Camco Hot Water Heater Tank rinser We'll try it out this weekend and see if it cleans it out enough. I'd rather not use chemicals to clean it, but maybe we'll try distilled vinegar.
I guess this is something we'll put on our list of things to do yearly.
Oswaldburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

The problem could also be the anode rod shedding material as it gets used.