Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Hot water not working

We have a 174BH that we purchased brand new last fall and was winterized. I (female) am currently camping in it as we are re-locating for my work. Anyways, I can't get the water heater to work. The heater is manual ignite only, with no electric option at all. What I am missing?

This is what I have done:

-filled water tank to 2/3 full (I have tank monitor inside to check level)
-ensured LP works by turning it on and having the stove burner work
-as per instructions, turn dial to PILOT, then press down for about 30 seconds, while sticking lighter inside to light pilot

The problem is, the pilot is not working at all. Nor do I hear or smell gas coming out at the heater. it's a brand new heater, never used. Any guesses as to what could be wrong? I had to take a shower at the local pool to get clean the other day!
kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #2

Are you sure you have propane in the tank?
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Site Team

The flame on your lighter should heat up the thermocouple, which when hot enough allows the pilot to ignite. Sometimes it does take what seems to be a long time before it lights. The thermocouple will be very close to the pilot. When the pilot finally lights up, the flame keeps the thermocouple hot.

And welcome to the Forum!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
Are you sure you have propane in the tank?

I do because the gas stove burner works?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The flame on your lighter should heat up the thermocouple, which when hot enough allows the pilot to ignite. Sometimes it does take what seems to be a long time before it lights. The thermocouple will be very close to the pilot. When the pilot finally lights up, the flame keeps the thermocouple hot.

And welcome to the Forum!

That's the problem. I hold the lighter in the hole and no pilot light illuminates at all. This is while pressing the red button down for at least 30 seconds.

Thanks for welcoming me here. I've been lurking a while, but haven't posted until now.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Ok, press down the red knob (turned to 'pilot'), and hold it down while heating up the thermocouple. When it gets hot enough, the little blue flame will light, letting you know the pilot's getting gas. Keep the red button pressed down for another 45 to 60 seconds after the pilot lights up. That ensures the thermocouple stays hot, and allows the gas to get to the burner. After that period of time, let the red button back up, and turn it to 'light' or 'on', or whatever it says on the control. Let me know if it works for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #7

It is still not working and I held the reset button down for about 1 minute. Is there anything else I can try?

Attached are photos of the heater. Sorry the first photo is upside down and the bottom one is sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg   image0.jpeg  
Old 02-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #8

I have a 2019 154BH with the exact same water heater. The first time I started it it took an inordinate amount of time to light. Two things I do to make sure it lights is: (1) ensure the notch that allows the red button to be depressed is aligned just right, otherwise the red button won't fully depress - it will move a little bit, but not far enough to get the job done. The marking "Pilot" on my blue control knob is slightly off center with the notch; and (2) I use one of the long handled disposable lighters designed to operate in windy conditions - it's the one with a flexible neck. Unlike the other lighters, it puts out a strong blue flame, and does a great job of igniting the pilot light. As an aside note, even now when I'm setting up my camper at a new site, which means my propane was off while I traveled, the very first time I ignite the water heater pilot it takes at least thirty seconds for propane to make it to the ignition point, regardless of whether or not the stove was lit first. After that, it lights up quickly (I always turn off my water heater when I'm away from the trailer).
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnacortesArmyGuy View Post
I have a 2019 154BH with the exact same water heater. The first time I started it it took an inordinate amount of time to light. Two things I do to make sure it lights is: (1) ensure the notch that allows the red button to be depressed is aligned just right, otherwise the red button won't fully depress - it will move a little bit, but not far enough to get the job done. The marking "Pilot" on my blue control knob is slightly off center with the notch; and (2) I use one of the long handled disposable lighters designed to operate in windy conditions - it's the one with a flexible neck. Unlike the other lighters, it puts out a strong blue flame, and does a great job of igniting the pilot light. As an aside note, even now when I'm setting up my camper at a new site, which means my propane was off while I traveled, the very first time I ignite the water heater pilot it takes at least thirty seconds for propane to make it to the ignition point, regardless of whether or not the stove was lit first. After that, it lights up quickly (I always turn off my water heater when I'm away from the trailer).

Do you smell gas or hear any noise? I know what you mean about the button not going down fully unless the knob is in the right place. I know now how to fully depress it. I also have one of those wand type of lighters. I am usually sticking it lit inside closer to the right.

The fact that I have never had it working concerns me. I'm at a total loss. I've tried many many times now and I am afraid I will blow up my trailer if I keep trying to light it.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #10

I got it working!

I looked at a previous post on here and it had a better suggestion. It said to have the stove literally on while trying to fire up the heater. Prior to that I ha turned on the stove, but turned it off before going outside. This time I had the stove on and then stood outside for 30 seconds or so lighting it up.

The question is now, do I leave it on? Or can I turn it off after I wash dishes, myself etc. I am scared when it comes to gas.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Team

As long as it has water going to it, by the pump, or city hookup, you can leave it on.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #12

I spoke too soon.

Went from roaring to out within 2 mins. And I had checked my LP tank today and it feels heavy so that can't be it. Pilot light was still on, but no other action. Turned everything off for the night and weekend as I head back home tomorrow night for a few days. :/
Old 02-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #13

You should not have to have your stove burner(s) lit in order to light your water heater. When you light a stove burner, does it stay lit for several minutes if you allow it?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #14

kayden, no one else brought this up, so I will. Have you reset the water bypass valves and bled the tank to make sure it’s full of water? If you haven’t done that, not successfully getting it to light is a blessing. If that heater lights with no water in it you will burn it up in a couple of minutes. Please let us know if you have done that first. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #15

Yes, the stove stays lit and working indefinitely.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #16

Here are more photos of what the gas looked like.

And the tank has water....but what exactly is the bypass valve in the pic? I don't know what that is.
Attached Thumbnails
image0(1).jpeg   image0(2).jpeg   image0(3).jpeg  
Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #17

The poster was referring to the bypass valves inside your trailer adjacent to your water heater that either allows or prevents water from entering your water heater. During the winterizing and sanitizing processes the water heater is bypassed to prevent water from entering the water heater. These valves are accessed, at least in my trailer, by removing the dinette seat plywood inside the trailer, and they are not accessed outside where you light the water heater. The assumption we are making is that there is water supplied to you water heater, which can be easily checked just by turning on your sink's hot water faucet and you have a strong, uninterrupted flow of water, regardless of whether your water heater is heating or not. Lighting your water heater without water in it can damage it.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #18

It's too bad the dealer didn't take time to show you those things. When you go to pick it up to take home that's your time to ask questions and operate everything in the unit.

If the water heater is empty a I can see that the tank would heat up really fast and cut off the flame. Using the above info to get the tank filled. Make sure it is full by lifting the pressure relief valve handle on the upper corner of the tank. Water should shoot out of there if full.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #19

It was the water bypass valve. I wish the dealer showed us that, but they didn’t. It was a very rushed, ohh we will winterize it for you, but never showed us what that entailed. I’ll be honest I wasn’t really happy with the experience at that particular dealer. We’ve been back with parts questions and they haven’t been terribly helpful.

Anyways thanks for all your help with the troubleshooting. Even with the manual, I found it overwhelming to read. I love this forum!
Old 03-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #20

Good catch Jay2504. I did not think of that. Those bypass valves are confusing. I do like to light my stove burners as I am lighting the pilot. It seems to help.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater