Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Hot water out of the cold taps

Hello everyone! I have a 2012 Jayco Swift SLX 154BH. My wife and I love "roughing it" in our beautiful little camper. Here's my issue...today was the first time I've showered in my camper. All was fine until I couldn't adjust the hot water. It was coming out hot from both supply lines. Once I was out I checked the kitchenette faucet and it also now only supplies hot on both sides. I have run hot water several times before in the kitchen faucet without incident. I checked the valves and they were as they should be, according to the manual. Anyone experienced this? How do I remedy the problem?
Soundshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

It has to be the bypass valve. 3 valves. One has to be in the wrong position.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Unless the crossover valve on the water heater bypass is open I can't imagine where else hot and cold lines could cross. Even then, the pressure from the pump to the tank on the cold side should keep the warm water out. Let us know what you find.
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Team

I have heard of a defective cross over valve causing some confusion. You close it but it does not close. Look at it when you close it and make sure it is closing.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #5

I will check again, I will exercise all three valves and see if any make a difference in a different position. Thank you!! Which valve Is the crossover valve?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

The crossover valve is in the line that run's between the inlet line (cold water) and outlet line (hot water). That valve needs to be closed with the other two open. Just the opposite when winterizing.
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Thank you all for your help, this is too good to not post...so we packed up and were preparing to leave our campsite today, and I wanted to fill up the jug for our dog's water before we hit the road. We had set up our camper in the front yard of a house my sister was renting for the weekend along the Oregon coast, I ran a cord for power and hooked up to a secondary hose bib (there were two about a foot apart in the front of the house) because I didn't want to mess with the antique hose that was already attached. Piece of cake! Well...the light turned on when I disconnected my hose and filled the water jug for our dogs and felt how pleasantly warm the sides of the plastic jug was getting. In fact, it was so warm by the time I topped it off that it was steaming! I had unknowingly hooked up to a hot water hose bib. Problem solved, talk about a cheap repair!! Hope you got as good a laugh out of this as I did!!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Site Team

HaHA, bet you won't ever do that again.

Just for information, another thing that can cause that if if you have the valves on the outside shower left on and the sprayer off, the hot and cold water can mix there.

Sometimes camping can humble you!
Gator roll-up bed cover