Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Hot water pressure

Anyone notice a significant difference in hot water pressure versus cold water pressure when connected to normal pressure city water? I just bought a brand new 2020 Eagle HT 284bhok and when we stayed at camp grounds with normal water pressure, the hot water trickled out of all faucets and the cold water came out normal. When we stayed at campgrounds with high water pressure, all was ok. It seems there might be something in the hot water system that is restricting water flow. My old trailer (2001 Terry 31G) did not seem to have any issues with water pressure. I am sure this will be covered under warranty, but curious if this is common or normal.
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

Did you ever find the issue to this? We have a new 2021 Jayco north point 382flrb and we’ve been on a week camp trip at all different campgrounds In OR and every one, the hot water has no pressure, in all the sinks & shower, but the cold water is just fine. Curious what your issue was.
J&TKWIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

Check the bypass valves going in and out of your hot water tank. The In and Out valves should be fully open and the bypass valve fully closed. If they are properly set, it is possible that there could be some debris caught inside the valves causing a flow restriction. Try cycling the valves a few times while there is water pressure and a hot water tap running.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

If the difference is only in the sink or shower than it can also be a bad hot valve. If both, it could be a pinched line. But I agree it could be the diversion valves being blocked or poorly made.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

I’ve noticed the same on ours when hooked up to city connect. Bypass valves are set right. It is all sinks, so I know it’s not the faucet strainer or a particular pex line. Guess I’ll try turning the BP valves while under pressure as Skybound suggested.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I’ve noticed the same on ours when hooked up to city connect. Bypass valves are set right. It is all sinks, so I know it’s not the faucet strainer or a particular pex line. Guess I’ll try turning the BP valves while under pressure as Skybound suggested.
Under pressure and flowing.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

We’ve had the same problem on our 280rsok. I removed the check valve coming out of water heater and removed the insides. That fixed the problem, we don’t winterize so not concerned with not having the check valve. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuidy View Post
We’ve had the same problem on our 280rsok. I removed the check valve coming out of water heater and removed the insides. That fixed the problem, we don’t winterize so not concerned with not having the check valve. Hope this helps.
Thanks — I’ll check it out.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

Dealer told me it was a kinked line. He said they corrected the fault. Took it out this weekend and had the same problem. I'm going to ask where the "kink" was located.
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #10

Well it stinks that removing the check valve resolves the issue. So was it a faulty check valve or was the check valve itself restricting water flow? Ours is low at all sinks and the shower and it’s a 2020 unit.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&TKWIGGS View Post
Did you ever find the issue to this? We have a new 2021 Jayco north point 382flrb and we’ve been on a week camp trip at all different campgrounds In OR and every one, the hot water has no pressure, in all the sinks & shower, but the cold water is just fine. Curious what your issue was.
Hopefully this helps other owners with issues with the hot water flow. We have a 2020 321RSTS and have had the same issues with hot water flow, with 2 days ago losing all hot pressure. The dealer in Florida was no help. This time I contacted Jayco support. Again no help whatsoever. In fact I was told it would be 72 hours before a tech would contact me. Still not heard back from them. I located the check valve on the upside of the tank and tried to tap it to see if I could dislodge anything. Disaster, the cheap plastic check valve broke off! However was able to see that it had been clogged with plastic trash, causing the issues. Now faced with no water and living in the RV!! Contacted Dunlap RV in Knoxville who were fantastic and very helpfuland got a new check valve under warranty. Had to remove the hot water tank to install it. Hardest issue was getting the plastic thread out of the tank coupling but did it with a 1/2 tap. All works fantastic now. Wish Jayco had used a brass check valve in the first place.
Ahaw90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #12

I wish the Jayco tech that installed it was camping in it , in the middle of the Sahara desert with 5 preschool kids and his mother in law and had this problem. I bet he would do a better job at installing this valve on the assembly line. Or he could tell everybody next time he is in a campground that he is a JAYCO tech and see how fast he has to run to keep from getting his but kicked...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #13

We had this same issue its the how water check valve. Here is a direct brass replacement from amazon.

1. Locate your hot water tank and drain the tank.
2. remove the black plastic factory check valve located on the top of the tank connected to the red pex piping.
3. install some plumbers tape or dope on the threaded end that goes into the tank and screw it in.
4. secure the red pex plastic tubing back on the check valve ( this end seals with a rubber washer and doesn't need any tape or dope.
5. refill your hot water tank and bleed the air and check for leaks.
6. Enjoy your hot water pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #14

How did you remove your tank? I opened the access door and I see it’s wrapped in white styrofoam. I can’t access it from inside. I doubt you can pull it out from outside can you?

Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #15

I have a 280 rsok and the tank is accessible in the pantry by removing 1 screw and the lower panel. All I can say is look on the inside of your trailer where to tank is and see if there are any access panels that you might have to remove a screw or two to gain access.
Unfortunately every model might not be as easy as mine to gain access to.
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
We had this same issue its the how water check valve. Here is a direct brass replacement from amazon.

1. Locate your hot water tank and drain the tank.
2. remove the black plastic factory check valve located on the top of the tank connected to the red pex piping.
3. install some plumbers tape or dope on the threaded end that goes into the tank and screw it in.
4. secure the red pex plastic tubing back on the check valve ( this end seals with a rubber washer and doesn't need any tape or dope.
5. refill your hot water tank and bleed the air and check for leaks.
6. Enjoy your hot water pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the info. I’ll get one in case it happens again👍
Old 08-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #17

We accessed it from outside. Removed the screws and eased it out without disconnecting anything. Not sure if all units the same though.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #18

Did you find the issue with hot water flow?
daleywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #19

It was suggested to swap out the cheap plastic check valve to a brass valve and that did the trick. I was amazed! Thanks to everyone chiming in. This is a very late thank you!

Old 12-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Thank you for the follow up. We carry a brass check valve on board in case ours does the same thing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote