Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2022, 07:50 AM   #1

Hot wheel

We noticed one of our 4 wheels was dirtier than the other. Possible from grease getting too hot and melting out.

After a hour trip three wheels were 75 degrees F. And one wheel was at the hub cap grease cover. 190 degrees. And behind the rubber plug 150 degrees. And the large part the breaks rub against was 150 degrees.

Do you think I have a break or wheel bearing problem and if so how do I troubleshoot it?

Also I recently had to turn my break controller up to 8.5 because I thought the trailer breaks felt weak.

Maybe 3 breaks are not working too?

Thank you,
Gary
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

I would think it is a bearing issue with those heat readings, but then lean toward the brakes with you needing to adjust for weak feeling brakes. I would start with the bearings though, it sounds like it is burning up your grease which will cause failure soon. I once had a trailer do this and the entire wheel separated and rolled off the axel. Trust me, you don't want that.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #3

I figured the other 3 would have been warmer. In the summer they are in the 130-140 degrees
Old 09-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #4

If you can do it yourself, I would replace and pack all bearings and clean and adjust the brakes! That way you have done all maintenance on running gear for awhile! My two cents.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #5

We had the dealership maintenance preformed on the axles back in April. All of that was supposed to have been done.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #6

Yep....and all four wheels/hubs are supposed to be roughly equal temperatures.
Some folks call them "stealerships" for a reason. Just because you got charged for the service, doesn't mean it was actually performed, or performed well. It could have been done by some kid fresh out of high school shop class.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #7

How do i decide if the bearing is bad or just needs cleaned and repacked
Old 09-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #8

You take it out... you clean it... and inspect it. If its discolored or scratched up, replace it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #9

Well my wife got under the camper to take a picture of the axel model number. And she found a wire not connected on driver’s side back axel I wire nutted it back together and taped it up because that’s all I got to work with on this trip. The wire hade broke where it was crimped. While I was under there i noticed both green wires on the axle closest to the truck driver’s side had broken out of the three wire vampire connectors. I took those apart and re used them. That probably explains why three axels were only room temperature.

I tried using a battery jumper wire to the pigtail break control wire and my jumper wire got how enough to burn before I connected the green wire back together hopefully I didn’t hurt anything doing that.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #10

I know you are not supposed to re use those vampire connectors is there something better to use. Do they have weatherproof wego connectors maybe
Old 09-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #11

After a hour driving and some hills hub temperature is in the 90’s on 3 wheels but only 75 on the passenger rear hub.

I need to inspect those wires a little better when they rain quits.
Is there w way to test with a multi meter? Outside temperature is in low 60’s
Old 09-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #12

The only real way is to break the connection(s) at each wheel and ohm check them individually. They are all hooked up in parallel, so that they get activated by the single output from the controller under the dash.
It does sound like you got the problem resolved, though. Might be that the "hot wheel" was doing all the braking, and the other three was just riding along.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #13

After about 45 more minutes driving the cold wheel was close to the same temperature and the trailer breaks where a little more grabber so I lowered the gain on the controller. I’ve got another trip scheduled next weekend so I’ll keep an eye on it. For sure the breaks are working better.