Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Houston to St. Mary Montana.

I will be making a trip to St. Mary Mt. from Houston in June. I plan on going through Amarillo then jumping on I-25/I-90 and taking it all the way to Billings, Mt. After that, taking MT-3 to Great Falls, Mt then heading north to St. Mary's. My question is, does anybody know of anything I should avoid taking that route or could suggest a better route? I'm giving myself 5 days to get there, maybe a little rushed and 7 days to get back. Ill be pulling a Jayco 28RBDS. Thanks in advance.

2016 Jayco 28RBDS
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4
DandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandE View Post
I will be making a trip to St. Mary Mt. from Houston in June. I plan on going through Amarillo then jumping on I-25/I-90 and taking it all the way to Billings, Mt. After that, taking MT-3 to Great Falls, Mt then heading north to St. Mary's. My question is, does anybody know of anything I should avoid taking that route or could suggest a better route? I'm giving myself 5 days to get there, maybe a little rushed and 7 days to get back. Ill be pulling a Jayco 28RBDS. Thanks in advance.

Watch the weather especially on I 25 entering Wyoming..often they get high winds from the West, which will blow over loaded semis...Lots of nothing in Wyoming...nothing to stop the winds..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

I pulled my trailer from San Antonio to Great Falls on that exact route 3 years ago in April.

Your only hurdles will be seasonal weather. I encountered tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms near Amarillo, and heavy snow near Denver.

There were wind warnings near Cheyenne, but the wind was much lighter than predicted.

Billings to Great Falls watch for wildlife on the highway.

In July of the same year, I drove a U-Haul truck on the same route, weather was much more friendly, but almost tagged a dear about 65 miles from Great Falls.

I travelled it in three days each trip, 5 days will be very comfortable driving.

On one of your legs, you might find going to Cody, Wyoming to be worth your trip, the Buffalo Bill museum is on of my favorites!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's, Im really looking forward to this trip>

2016 Jayco 28RBDS
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4
DandE is offline   Reply With Quote