Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

How difficult/affordable is this?

We are considering an entry level trailer (jay flight slx 264bhw), but it does not come with a few things we would really like to have: black tank flush, pre-wire for rear camera, and propane grill hook-up.

How difficult/expensive are these things to have done after the purchase if we do not get the dealer to do them prior to the sale?
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

You would be surprised what you can negotiate . Make an offer on the one with all the options and compare it to the base. That's what I did with about 5 dealers until the last one which was loaded with those options plus more was able to match the price and actually beat it by about 1k so I decided to go with the 26bh elite.
Esp now it's already mid July so I would think you could get a great deal. GL!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
You would be surprised what you can negotiate . Make an offer on the one with all the options and compare it to the base. That's what I did with about 5 dealers until the last one which was loaded with those options plus more was able to match the price and actually beat it by about 1k so I decided to go with the 26bh elite.
Esp now it's already mid July so I would think you could get a great deal. GL!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I won't be able to purchase until December, at the very soonest.
But I'm asking as many questions as I can think of on here so that I know something going in.
The unit that we really, really like is the 23 BHM, but I'm not sure we can get it for a price we can afford. In fact, I have only seen them on youtube.
I like the other well enough, but would prefer the murphy bed and the extras I posted about in the original post.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

I installed 2 out of 3 on my 2014 - 287BHBE... I installed the Camco Tornado Tank Flush on both the Grey and Black Tanks. I assume you are handy and can DIY? Those cost $30 each and took about a half hour to install. It took an hour studying the layout before I started because I wanted both to have the water hookup at the dump site and the routing of the supply hoses required supports.
The propane tap will require a quick connect male & female connector with valve and as long of a low pressure hose as you need to reach your grill Under $50 for everything and about a half hour of labor. Use the yellow teflon tape for the pipe joints since you are dealing with propane piping. ...... Swampy

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using Tapatalk

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

I expect it would be more cost effective to have it done as part of the "deal".
Like Studio suggests, angle for the dealer to install to close the deal. We had arrived at what seemed like the best offer from the dealer which was still short of my offer. I countered by accepting the offer if they throw in slide toppers and a mor-ryde pin box. We shook hands and I think we were both pleased with the end price.
The biggest ticket item is probably the camera. Our first TT did not have a flush, I used a wand, the propane hookup is probably $25-50 worth of parts and 1-2 hrs of labor. If they're willing to install the cam but want to sell it to you consider buying from Amazon.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

We did the same thing as you are doing, asked a lot of questions early and planned to purchase in Spring of next year. I watched prices and purchased a trailer in November at 15% off the lowest price we had seen in a full year. Good luck.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I won't be able to purchase until December, at the very soonest.
But I'm asking as many questions as I can think of on here so that I know something going in.
The unit that we really, really like is the 23 BHM, but I'm not sure we can get it for a price we can afford. In fact, I have only seen them on youtube.
I like the other well enough, but would prefer the murphy bed and the extras I posted about in the original post.

December will probably be even better foryou! The more time the better.

I understand you have a budget. I did too. Initially my budget was 15k for a used 2015-2016 jay flight 26bh. When I started shopping and getting into full swing of negotiations I also began asking questions on here and other rv forums. I than realized I could possibly get a new camper with a warranty and more options for nearly as much as I was being quoted for a used one. I ended up rethinking the entire thing and going above budget by 2k. Looking back it was a no brainer. Not saying you have to do the same thing. I know I would have regretted going with a 15-16 model since it didn't have the stainless steel appliances, elite package with camera pre wired , black tank flush, extra skylight etc...
I would think the camera install alone will run a few hundred dollars at the dealer but like others have said ask them to throw it in! The other options are simple. I have a black tank flush on my camper and sometimes still use my Camco dual flush valve which has a tank and hose cleanout option. It was $17 and I Love using it.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #8

My TT has the grill connection in the back but we have never used it. I looked into a grill that would connect to it but it seemed more expensive than a stand-alone Weber Q series grill (or others). The connection on the TT is already regulated so you have to re-plumb and buy connections and hoses to use a grill with a regulator....to me, it wasn't worth the hassle.

On the camera, if you can install a car stereo, you can install a back-up camera. A TFT monitor, back-up camera and RCA extension cable on Amazon will cost you about $50. I have installed cheap, Chinese cameras in the past 2 trucks I have owned and they worked well.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #9

Negotiate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We are considering an entry level trailer (jay flight slx 264bhw), but it does not come with a few things we would really like to have: black tank flush, pre-wire for rear camera, and propane grill hook-up.

How difficult/expensive are these things to have done after the purchase if we do not get the dealer to do them prior to the sale?
You didn't mention whether this is a NEW 2017/2018 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW or not. I looked at the 2017 and it doesn't appear there are any factory options for camera, flush or grill on this model. Which means it's all after the fact install and the dealer will most likely want to charge quite a bit for it. Some considerations:
*Black tank flush - There are aftermarket tools that plug into the pipe that can back flush if needed. Otherwise some people use a simple garden hose down the toilet. Research this topic.
* Camera - While it's nice to have a hot wire for a camera, it's not necessary. I've seen after market wireless cameras that have magnet mounts and they're somewhat inexpensive.
* Propane grill - I believe campers that come equipped with propane have pressure regulated lines. Meaning if there's a plug in for an external grill, you'll have to buy a special propane grill with no regulator. I don't think they're worth the money myself. I'd opt for a nice Coleman that folds up and runs off a small propane canister. They're cheap and do the same thing - or better yet, get a small Weber charcoal grill and chimney starter. The chimney starter is a MUST HAVE item. You'll never need starter fluid or match light coal to get it going or mess with the flavor of your food.

My BEST advice is if you're buying something that's NEW or a couple years old - do the COSTCO deal. A Costco membership allows you to get the Costco price. Expect about a 20% discount off retail. So now that $20K trailer will cost you 16K. Use the extra money for taxes or extra goodies you'll get later anyhow. You'll get an even bigger discount if you do the deal at an RV show. They like to knock a few bucks off MSRP, so you'll be that much more ahead on the deal.

Also, we're finding out that our new trailer is just that - a trailer with no extras. After you buy a sewer hose, water pressure regulator, surge protector, electrical adapters, filters, etc.. you're going to drop several hundred on that alone. If you have the time, Amazon is your friend! Good luck and god bless!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:06 AM   #10

We bought a wand for the tank - haven't used it yet.

The manual for my 2018 264BHW says it is prewired for the camera. I thought about adding it but after a few tows, I don't think I will bother with it.

I bought a nice charbroil grill for 100 - sits on picnic table and can be used other places. I was going to add the bumper grill but wasn't worth it to me. You do need the small propane tanks for use hose and adapter and use your 20 lb tank up front.
shawnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #11

I'd check Costco but I got 28 or 29% off with no negotiating on my 2018 264bhw - advertised price and no additional dealer fees.
shawnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #12

based on my '17 267bhsw

black tank flush
- flush king is $30, lets you flush black and gray, it's awesome
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...dp/B008O9DV78/

pre-wire for rear camera
- this is a joke, it's the power connect in the middle rear led light, so all have them already, the cameras are wireless, I compare mine to my brother in laws '17 26bh that lists the feature, marketing

propane grill hook-up
- there's a T-bar already there with the port plugged, so you just need the line and the grill without a regulator, it's about $250 for the mount and grill, and then the propane line cost.. i just got a coleman foldable
moparfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #13

Do your homework.
Get prices from surrounding dealers from nearby states, tell them up front that you are price shopping for the best deal.
Get everything in writing (email, or in person). Take these with you when you visit the dealer you want to go with, hopefully he is the closest.
Be honest and upfront, have your quotes with you (no need to show him, he'll see your folder). I'm currently looking to order a 2018 34rsbs and I'm seeing a max of 33% off to a more common 27-29% from most dealers. Id like to go with the closest dealer (35min) and I'm willing to concede some money to stick w him. Hey, he has to make money to. A good local relationship with your local dealer goes a long way.
As far as options not available, I suggest you talk to local dealer.
Some can be done in different ways. A simple $20 right angle RV wand off amazon works great, a wireless camera system using your phone can save hundreds off trying to wire a new unit. Just food for thought.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfiend View Post
based on my '17 267bhsw

black tank flush
- flush king is $30, lets you flush black and gray, it's awesome
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...dp/B008O9DV78/

pre-wire for rear camera
- this is a joke, it's the power connect in the middle rear led light, so all have them already, the cameras are wireless, I compare mine to my brother in laws '17 26bh that lists the feature, marketing

propane grill hook-up
- there's a T-bar already there with the port plugged, so you just need the line and the grill without a regulator, it's about $250 for the mount and grill, and then the propane line cost.. i just got a coleman foldable
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
Do your homework.
Get prices from surrounding dealers from nearby states, tell them up front that you are price shopping for the best deal.
Get everything in writing (email, or in person). Take these with you when you visit the dealer you want to go with, hopefully he is the closest.
Be honest and upfront, have your quotes with you (no need to show him, he'll see your folder). I'm currently looking to order a 2018 34rsbs and I'm seeing a max of 33% off to a more common 27-29% from most dealers. Id like to go with the closest dealer (35min) and I'm willing to concede some money to stick w him. Hey, he has to make money to. A good local relationship with your local dealer goes a long way.
As far as options not available, I suggest you talk to local dealer.
Some can be done in different ways. A simple $20 right angle RV wand off amazon works great, a wireless camera system using your phone can save hundreds off trying to wire a new unit. Just food for thought.
Thanks. This is helpful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg