Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #31

Heady, I'm going threw the bike rack issue and have a trundra as well! 2012 not the sr5 but could I get the same system that you have? thanks for your help!

belljl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #32

Aluminum Bikes - combined weight of all bikes and rack is under 90#. Weight dispersion across the full bumper...no bouncing stress.

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #33

I ended up buying a "bolt on" 2 inch reciever for our bikes. I was going to make one that bolts to the tongue like I saw on this forum, but I was having trouble sourcing the square tubing (I didn't look that hard :-)). We ended up buying a differant camper and decided that I didn't want the extra tongue weight on this one, so they are on the rear bumper. I asked the guy at the RV dealer about this, and he said he sells alot of them, and has very few issues.
Our bikes are about 35lbs each and the bike rack is about 30lbs. The rack is a Sportworks and it only holds two. I did modify it so the weight was more over top of the hitch, and not out like it was origanally designed. I thought it was too much leverage to be that far away from the bumper.
I also installed the reciever ontop of the bumper as shown in the diagram.
I did add a rachet strap to put downward pressure on the rack itself to keep the bikes and rack from flopping over bumps, which I felt would put extra leverage on the bumper. I took the bikes on a 200 mile round trip this past weekend and my brother inlaw followed me, said they hardly moved...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #34

Mine are in the bed of the truck. (Up to 4 of them sometimes when my nephew goes) Along with all the other "stuff" the wife insists we must take.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Mine are in the bed of the truck. (Up to 4 of them sometimes when my nephew goes) Along with all the other "stuff" the wife insists we must take.
Do you attach them, stand them up or otherwise secure them? Or do you just lay 'em in there?

I ask because I'm thinking of just laying mine and DW's in there... I don't haul anything else in the truck, so space is not an issue. And my bikes are ridden, so they are pretty beat up, I don't think laying them in the truck is really going to hurt anything so long as I take a little care to make sure they're settled and won't move too much...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
ADK

Has anyone using the front hitch mounted bike rack had issues with overheating?

2014 264BH
2006 F350 6.0 CCLB SRW
1999 Lance Lite 915 - Sold
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Do you attach them, stand them up or otherwise secure them? Or do you just lay 'em in there?

I ask because I'm thinking of just laying mine and DW's in there... I don't haul anything else in the truck, so space is not an issue. And my bikes are ridden, so they are pretty beat up, I don't think laying them in the truck is really going to hurt anything so long as I take a little care to make sure they're settled and won't move too much...
They are standing up, but no special rack or rail is used, maybe a bungee cord. I typically place stuff against them to help hold them in place. Firewood, cornhole boards, 5 gallon water jug, cooler, road trip grill, pop-up canopy and the kitchen sink
Like yourself, ours are ridden. And they are older and beat up. So I am not concerned about getting a ding or scratch on them.
I did see a homemade rack that sat on top of the truck bed that held the bikes. I have the pic saved at home. I may try to make something like it also.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #38

The description on amazon says to be used with a continuously welded bumper. What do they mean by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Aluminum Bikes - combined weight of all bikes and rack is under 90#. Weight dispersion across the full bumper...no bouncing stress.

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #39

I just lay them down in the bed of the pickup. I have plenty of room so they are not in the way.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
The description on amazon says to be used with a continuously welded bumper. What do they mean by that?
An "Expert Reply" from a leading online RV / Trailer Parts E-tailer....
Attached Thumbnails
swagman 2-bike.JPG  

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote