Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

How do you lubricate slide?

I have a question, how do you lubricate the slide? When I picked up or Jayco Jay Flight in April ( a sorry dealer) told me to buy a can of spray that he sells and just spray the rails once a year. That for some reason just doesn't sound like enough.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done and how often?

Thanks as always

Tom and Kathy
North Ga
Slow and Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

How do you luburciate slide

Definitely use a recomended spray, several companies make it. I spray after any extended time, and every couple of times they get cycled. It might be excessive, but the motors sure work a lot less. With the size of the kitchen slide on our 377 every bit helps.
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

My manual clearly states the slide mechanism does NOT require any lubrication. I guess it's some how self lubricating.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

My dealer told me to use the spray once a year. That spray is dry in that it won't attract extra dirt like some lubricants can.

They also told me to use baby powder on the flexible seals. I'm over due on that one.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Our small slides would probably do fine with once a year. Not our kitchen. It has a difficult time when it and the motors are lubed. The spray is a dry lube so there is no buildup, however that also limits the longevity. I figure no buildup, and it makes everything work less what is the cost of using it more. Even lubed I sometimes have to make 3-4 attempts to bring it in and we keep it light.

Our 377 has a differnet style slide for the living room, it works well, I wish the kitchen was the same.
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Slide Lubercation

Lippert has some good u tubes on lubrication.On the Schwinn Tec slides they want CRC power lube w/PTFE.Definitely quiet those motors down Other electric slide designs seem like nothing!Let us know if you find out something different!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Camper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

I use a "Teflon" dry spray lubricant on the slides and mechanism. There are a number of different brands available which are all similar. The main thing is they are a dry lube which doesn't attract dirt. I use a silicone spray on the seals. I apply it about once a month in the summer season and never had any issues.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

Our two-slide 2011 Eagle has had no problems but I also wonder about lubing. So far this thread hasn't helped a lot.

So do the slides require lubing or not? I've done it but honestly without knowing what the H*** I was doing or whether I should do it at all.

Is there a consensus, or does it depend on the type of slide?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Team

There are to many different types to make a statement that would apply to all. My opinion is anything that moves will eventually need some type of lubrication.

I have 2 different type slides on my rig. I bought a can of that recommended spray lube for the Schwintek and use it on the motor screws like the you tube video shows. I alco wipe the runner slide seals sides and top, inside and out a few times a year and reapply a silicon spray that I get form Walmart. It is not expensive, dry and does not make a gritty mess.

The other 2 bigger Lippert slides I do nothing to the drive rails except wipe them down a few times a year with an old rag, and throw it away. That gets all the grit off the part that is exposed to road spray. On the rubber seals, I do pretty much the same as any rubber seal, wipe and respray silicone.

Another step that really helps is to bring the big slides in a few inches until they just raise up from the fully extended position. Go under the rig and take an old cloth and pull it thru the gap on the bottom of the slide where it slides over the edge of the camper. It will be filthy with grit. Then apply a liberal spray all the way across the same area.
You can tell immediately that it helps because it is quieter, moves with less strain and faster.
All this can be done in an hour. Time well spent to take the strain off those slide motors.
Another epistle
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Be careful which spray silicone you apply. Some types use an organic volatile carrier that can harm plastics and rubber. If it dissolves or softens a styrofoam cup, don't apply it to your seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #11

If it's a Schwintek, here's a link on how to properly lubricate it.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow and Steady View Post
I have a question, how do you lubricate the slide? When I picked up or Jayco Jay Flight in April ( a sorry dealer) told me to buy a can of spray that he sells and just spray the rails once a year. That for some reason just doesn't sound like enough.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done and how often?

Thanks as always

Tom and Kathy
North Ga
When I bought our TT, the PDI tech told me the same thing. Recently I bought a can and the parts dept told me twice a year should be good. He said I could also use it on the scissors jacks and retractable steps, just as "preventative maintenance"

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote