Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #21

As for the flushing system hose connection (if equipped), should you use the same hose you have for your fresh water or a separate hose when connecting to the flushing connection? I was told that this should be a totally separate hose to keep from contaminating your fresh water hose. You would think that there would be some kind of backflow preventer to keep this from happening.
CB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB55 View Post
As for the flushing system hose connection (if equipped), should you use the same hose you have for your fresh water or a separate hose when connecting to the flushing connection? I was told that this should be a totally separate hose to keep from contaminating your fresh water hose. You would think that there would be some kind of backflow preventer to keep this from happening.
I use a different hose (an old garden hose) for black tank flushing. And, when permitted, for washing the TT/TV.

As far as I know, there is always a blackflow preventer on units from the factory that have a black tank flush. Sometimes those valves have leaked and some owners have removed them to make sure it doesn't leak.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
Site Team

IMHO if your unit is equipped with a black tank flush connection on the outside wall, you should be able to use the same hose. If in doubt, carry a regular garden hose of a different color to distinguish it from your fresh water hose, and use it only for non-potable purposes.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #24

Yes, it is a 2016 and has the connection just right above the fresh water. The dealer told me that its safe to just use the same hose however, I had another guy tell me that I shouldn't do that. Just checking
Old 03-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
There will be back-flow preventer installed in your factory black tank flush system. This prevents contamination of the fresh water supply.

It's not contamination of the hose that's the main concern, but contamination of the water supply itself.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #26

After dumping, many folks use that hose to rinse the "stinky slinky" out and the area around the dump station (if a dump station is used). I would rather not use my fresh water hose to do that task.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #27

How hard is it to clean your black water tank?

I'm hoping to have my first TT in about a month and the black tank bothered me for a bit. But then I realized I've been thrown up on, peed and pooped on, so I'm not that concerned any more (I have a toddler). [emoji2]
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #28

There are people on this forum and others that say they never use their travel trailer toilet because they don't want to have to deal with dumping the tank. Well, to each their own opinion. We got a travel trailer to be comfortable and use the niceties it affords. For me, getting up at 3 AM when it is 30 degrees outside and having to use the bathroom is much more comfortable if I walk a few feet in a heated trailer to a heated bathroom. But if other folks want to go outside and walk 100 yards to the campground toilet, I guess that is their choice.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
Hey everyone I will be picking up my first Jayco Jayflight 26BH on saturday and everyone is telling me not to use the bathrooms because it is really hard to empty at the dump station. Also people are telling me that it is really hard to clean your black water tank. I am so confused and could really use some advice from the camping veterans on this one. Thanks and your help is greatly appreciated.
Watch this video, it may help.

Best Regards,

Nick
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
There will be back-flow preventer installed in your factory black tank flush system. This prevents contamination of the fresh water supply.

It's not contamination of the hose that's the main concern, but contamination of the water supply itself.
To me, having my hose contaminated with feaces is very concerning. Just saying.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
That could only make you and your family sick...

Contaminate the fresh water supply, and everybody gets sick.

So as you settle in for the week and the guy next to you is pulling out in his 40' 5ver hooked to his F150. Which is more important to you...that he used a different hose, or that he had a backflow preventer?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #32
Site Team

Smile

Quote:
For just that reason, a separate length of regular (envision green, or color of choice) garden hose is good to have on board. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, or expensive, just distinguishable from the white one.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
Question on all your tanks being 100% empty during winter. Do you empty the water out of your black completely during winter? What if any solid id still down there? I think I put 2 gallons of rv antifreeze down my toilet during winterization. I wasn't sure but figured it couldn't hurt.
Also from MA, and though I do empty the tanks, I also put a gallon each in the gray and black water tank as the last step of winter-ization. Better safe than sorry I figure.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #34

The 2nd main reason we got a TT, (other than getting too old to sleep on the ground), was to have our own bathroom/shower. No more trips across the CG @ 3AM to the bathhouse. On our 3rd TT, never had any problems with draining the tanks. I'm sure the secret is to use PLENTY of WATER to do your rinse. With or without a flush system, a clear 45 or 90 degree elbow is a must. If you have sewer on your site, allow yourself plenty of to completely flush your tanks. If you must use the dump station, be as quick as possible and clean up after you finish. I use a dedicated hose for the flushing, using a tee at the water faucet, and backflow preventers on the tee. Not a hard process to master, you'll get it down soon.
Remember the old plumber's rule: It all goes downhill, Payday's on Friday, Don't pick your teeth with your fingernails.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
After dumping, many folks use that hose to rinse the "stinky slinky" out and the area around the dump station (if a dump station is used). I would rather not use my fresh water hose to do that task.
+1

There are all sorts of chores that can be accomplished with a garden hose. The aforementioned contamination potential and the general usage of my garden hose is why I carry one. I'm not so worried about contamination from back flow from the tank rinse, but there are other sources.

My white drinking water hose is for potable water ONLY. My 50 ft by 5/8" No-Kink garden hose is for just about everything else.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
That could only make you and your family sick...

Contaminate the fresh water supply, and everybody gets sick.

So as you settle in for the week and the guy next to you is pulling out in his 40' 5ver hooked to his F150. Which is more important to you...that he used a different hose, or that he had a backflow preventer?
Amen. Thank goodness for those back flow preventer.