Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

How long is too long? Black and gray tanks

I did a test run of the new camper in my driveway. Everything seemed to work great. However I have yet to go camping. Been a few weeks. Might go this weekend. Have I left “stuff” in my tanks too long? Is there a standard timeframe? Thanks!!
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

I would make sure you have plenty of liquids in your black tank before you head out. At least 5 gallons. This will allow the solids, if dried out, to become suspended in the solution. I would add more water and dump once you get to the campground. Last thing you want is for the solids to harden, it can be a bear to get the tank clean once that happens.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Please remember to always drain your hot water heater whenever you are not using your camper or you will get the nasty sulfur/rotten egg smell
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoChix89 View Post
Please remember to always drain your hot water heater whenever you are not using your camper or you will get the nasty sulfur/rotten egg smell
Must depend on what's in your water, I've never drained mine "in season" and it sits for several weeks between trips. No smell.

OP, as long as there's sufficient liquid in the black tank, I don't think you are going to hurt anything leaving it sit. I like to leave mine sitting with about 1/3 full of clean water and toilet chems between trips.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Our TT has 2 black tanks. One for the main bathroom (Black Tank 1) and one for the bunkhouse half bath (Black Tank 2). Black Tank 1 gets dumped about once a week. Black Tank 2 gets dumped about every 3 weeks. We have no issues. We always rinse the black tanks well after dumping.

In a previous RV, we accidentally left waste in the black tank for a few months without a problem. As long as there is plenty of water in the black tank, you should be fine.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Seems to be a common theme. Water,water,water!!!
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Must depend on what's in your water, I've never drained mine "in season" and it sits for several weeks between trips. No smell.

OP, as long as there's sufficient liquid in the black tank, I don't think you are going to hurt anything leaving it sit. I like to leave mine sitting with about 1/3 full of clean water and toilet chems between trips.
This has been my experience also. I've never drained the tank during the camping season and there are sometimes 3 or 4 weeks between camping trips and we've never had any odors from the take. This may have something to do with sulfur contain of the water.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #8

How Long Is To Long

What I try to do is dump both grey and black tanks prior to heading home. Flush clean as best you can leaving about 5 gallons of water in each. Then I put a couple cups each of liquid Calgon (water softener) and dish washer soap and a packet of over the counter holding tank treatment in each. This mix has worked great at keeping the tank level sensors clear and consistently functioning and also keeping the tanks as clean and FRESH as possible. I allow this to sit in the tanks until the next trip.
Mjgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote