Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

how long to leave plugged in with battery on

When should battery be unconnected if plugged in while stored (between camping)?
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

I keep my trailer in the backyard, plugged in year round... obviously when not camping. Since the trailer's right here I can check the water level in the batteries once a month and have never had a problem. If this isn't an option take the batteries out when you stop camping for the season, take 'em home and store them on a piece of wood in a cool place, like your garage. check water level now and then and keep them charged. I use to do this when I owned a MH but when I put at 30 amp electrical box next to where the trailer's stored I started leaving the batteries in place.

This has worked for me for over 20 yrs.

Pete
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #3

I bring my batteries in charge them up and forget about them until ready to go next spring, then I charge them up and go. If you are going to leave it plugged in you have to check the battery water every month or so depending on the type converter you have.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

Some folks leave their battery connected 7/24 with NO long term problems. Some folks feel that if a battery is plugged in too long, it "might" over boil its battery cells. If one does "plug in" 24/7 - for most of the time, do check its cells every other weekend. Check every month as a minimum. If fluid in cells look low, only use distilled water to re-fill. Adding regular tap water is bad.

Good luck....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #5

Do you have a single or 3 stage converter/charger?

The single stage converter/charger that comes in some RV's will not fully charge the battery and will overcharge the battery if left plugged in continuously. Check the electrolyte level in the battery at regular intervals if you do leave it plugged in continuously
"The life of your batteries will be longer and happier if you charge them correctly. The best chargers on the market are 3-stage chargers. Use of a good quality 3 stage charger will significantly improve your battery's performance and lifespan. These chargers can be purchased separately or are included as part of many of the better quality inverters. When using a 3 stage charger, battery charging takes place in 3 basic stages: Bulk, Absorption, and Float.

Bulk Charge - The first stage of 3-stage battery charging. Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no "correct" voltage for bulk charging, but there may be limits on the maximum current that the battery and/or wiring can take.

Absorption Charge: The 2nd stage of 3-stage battery charging. Voltage remains constant and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts.

Float Charge: The 3rd stage of 3-stage battery charging. After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2 volts) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is often referred to as a maintenance or trickle charge, since it's main purpose is to keep an already charged battery from discharging."
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #6

I will check my book tonight and see what model convertor I have. Thanks for feedback.
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote