Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

Thx everyone. I'm learning a lot. I'm going to leave dry camping until I understand all this a bit more.
Plus my wife will kill me if we run out of heat @ 4am in the 33 degree desert)
I will get a 2nd battery (should I run it parallel?- it will fit w/box-barely - on chassis).

oh - w LED's is it a whole new light or just bulbs I can switch out?

I can't afford a generator yet-I'm flat broke after buying the camper - haha.
I want to look into solar too - 1 big panel on the roof- but later down the line as I am
a wiring dunce.

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #12

Good decision to wait and not have a bad experience - the generator (or solar) is important. It takes some reading, but if your interested, you can figure fairly closely how much DC you will need in amp hours. There's some good websites available that will explain how to figure amp hours. Once you have a good estimate of your use, you can make a better decision on what battery(s) you need.

Our experience was that once we learned about amp hours, and more so, how to budget them, we are comfortable and get by with much less battery than we first thought we would need.

And I agree with your wife. Running out of heat on a cold night is not a good thing.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #13

Thanks so much for all the info. I have 1 more issue I posted on another forum but not getting hits.
It is very much related to this issue.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Anyone know why my sensor will never read full battery. This has been plugged into the mains for days. When plugged in it should show 4, right.
Most times
it only shows 2 lights(1/3 charged) when plugged in. Do I have to haul it to charge it. Also the grey water is showing half full and it is totally
drained --- but the battery issue is Murphy major worry.

This is 1 month old - very light use. The Jayco manual has ZERO info on this.
Any thoughts - I know I'm deviating off topic but you guys seem very knowledgable .
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Thanks so much for all the info. I have 1 more issue I posted on another forum but not getting hits.
It is very much related to this issue.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Anyone know why my sensor will never read full battery. This has been plugged into the mains for days. When plugged in it should show 4, right.
Most times
it only shows 2 lights(1/3 charged) when plugged in. Do I have to haul it to charge it. Also the grey water is showing half full and it is totally
drained --- but the battery issue is Murphy major worry.

This is 1 month old - very light use. The Jayco manual has ZERO info on this.
Any thoughts - I know I'm deviating off topic but you guys seem very knowledgable .
As for your other post, check it out.

As in regards to LED, you can change bulbs not the fixtures. Here is a sample of what I used. Watch the temperature rating as that is color of the bulb. The one in the link is the bright blue white (hospital white) a lot of people do not like this color, and the price of this board is very high. The ones I bought I think where about $1.75 to $2.50 each.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #15

May I suggest that if you have access to your TT during the day time hours, you can simulate a dry-camping NIGHT by disconnecting from your shore power and setting your thermostat to the temp you want at night, turn on/off a light for as long as you probably would do at night (4 hrs or so). Run the radio... & if you are really brave, charge your ipad/iphone... although, I would leave the charging to your TV. This will give you an idea as to how long your system will last on battery(s).
Just monitor the battery with your volt meter.
This should keep DW happy!!!! And when DW is happy, life is good...
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post

Yes, it should show 4, if your system voltage is 13+VDC (usually about 13.2 fully charged, connected shore power). I am not sure as to the exact voltage where the display goes from (FULL) to 2/3, but it probably is in the area of 12.8 or 12.6VDC. If anyone has measured the voltage at this level, please let us know.

There are a few things you will want to do.
- Verify your voltage is 13+VDC at your 12VDC outlet inside the TT (no lights on and connected to shore power)
- Verify the voltage at the connection on the back of the display panel. It may not have a good connection, so check the + and - connection.
- If you have 13+VDC (with shore power) at the display panel input, you may want to look up the MFR specifications for the display; there may be a variable resistor (POT) that you can adjust on the back of the display. The display voltage should be very close to the voltage levels at the battery(s).
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #17

I too have an 18ft Jayco the 12 volt batt will deplete quickly using furnace
Suggest turning in low temp
And manually turn on and off
Your batt will be drained if you leave furnace on all nite.make all your overhead lites 1 bulb fixtures and as soon as you can get LED bulbs
Also think about 6 volt battery's they give you twice the power per batt over 12 volts , hope this helps Mike
Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

I've been dragging my Jayco around for 17 years and putting a second battery on it was one of the first things I did. Taking kids camping and saving energy don't always go together. I thought I was pretty astute doing this until this summer while at a dump station a guy pulls in on the other side and he had 5 batteries mounted on his rig. I still think that two are optimal and if there's need for more I have an 1850W generator I'll drag along. That generator cost a little more than what 3 batteries cost but I can use it a million other different ways and unless I do something stupid it should outlast several sets of batteries.

Back in the days of one battery I took the trailer out one fall for some late season hunting. The outside temp ran 0 to 10 above. At night when we'd get in I filled the generator with gas and fired it off and let it run 'til it was out of gas which was usually around 10 pm. With the furnace running all night the battery was about done for around 6am so I'd fill the generator up with gas, fire it off and again let it run 'til out of gas. I set the thermostat down to 55 or so during the day and the battery needed help when we got back in so I started the cycle all over again.

mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote